Nikon D800 24 MP DSLR due by February 2011? - Amateur Photographer

Old October 5th 10, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Rich[_6_]

Default Nikon D800 24 MP DSLR due by February 2011? - Amateur Photographer

Bruce wrote in
:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/33vtc3w
or:
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk..._due_before_Fe
bruary_2011_news_302529.html

Nikon is set to launch the D800 as the successor to the full-frame
D700 DSLR (pictured) early next year, if online details of a D800
handbook are to be believed.

The 320-page D800 handbook will be published on 9 February 2011,
according to an entry which appears to have been posted on an Amazon
page.

Written by Jean-Baptiste Guges the book is entitled Obtenez le maximum
du Nikon D800, which loosely translates as 'getting the most from the
D800'.

Details of the 17x21cm book, published separately, suggest that the
D800 will carry a 24-million-pixel sensor (double that of the
two-year-old D700) and will cost between Euros 2,000 and Euros 2,500.

It's about friggin TIME, Nikon! $9000 for more than 12 megapixels was a
bit too much. So, if the D7000 is the new D300, does this mean the D800
is really the younger brother of the D700?
If this by some miracle lands Stateside for under $2200, I'll get one.

Old October 5th 10, 10:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
peter

On 10/5/2010 5:13 PM, Rich wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

why do you complain about the pricing on cameras you wouldn't buy if
they were 1/3 the price.

BTW There are some unanswered questions of mine, still on the table. Why
don't you answer them before you start sputtering more nonsense.

remember: your NYC reference still needs explanation. No I will not let
you duck and weave. We are entitled to straightforward answers to
straightforward questions.

--
Peter
Old October 6th 10, 06:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Bowser

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 16:13:38 -0500, Rich wrote:

Bruce wrote in
:

[...]

The only thing that makes sense to me is if the D800 (assuming it is a
24MP FF camera) replaces the current D700. I can't see Nikon
introducing a "little brother" with twice the resolution.
Old October 6th 10, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Bowser

On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 11:01:13 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Oct 6, 1:32*pm, Bowser wrote:
[...]

Well, it depends on what you consider a flagship, the D3x or the D3s?
What really matters more, resolution (past a point) or noise control?

Image quality matters to me, only. Noise, resolution, color fidelity,
etc are just parameters. What made no sense to me is a D800 being a
"younger brother" to the D700 even though it has twice the resolution,
and likely better IQ.
Old October 6th 10, 09:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Bowser

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 19:15:59 +0100, Bruce
wrote:

Bowser wrote:
[...]

The Nikon Chief Executive implied in a recent interview that the
future mid-range FF body (D700 replacement to you and me) would have a
different compromise between higher resolution and lower noise than
the D700. That was regarded as a careful hint that the replacement
for the D700 would not only have more pixels, but more noise.

Agreed, but if Nikon can do what Canon did with the 5D II, they'll be
fine. I shot with a 5D for three years, and the 5D II is a better
unit, with higher resolution. The noise per pixel may be slightly
higher, but overall image quality is higher.'

In other words, you cannot have the D700's ultra-low noise in a camera
with a 24 MP FF sensor.

The very low noise of the D700 is a major selling point (along with
FF, obviously). The D700's ultra-low noise is the major factor in the
12 MP D700 being rated by DxO Labs as having higher image quality than
the 24 MP Sony A900 and A950, when normally a camera that has double
the resolution would be guaranteed a higher rating.

So I think there is room for both cameras in the range, the D700
offering ultra-low noise and the D800 offering higher resolution,
presumably with similar low (but not ultra-low) levels of noise to the
Nikon D3X. God help Nikon if the D800 has the dreadful noise of the
Sony A900 and A850, but Nikon is very unlikely to make that mistake.

Of course comparison with the Sony A900 and A850 is moot, given that
both Sony full frame cameras have been deleted from the Alpha range
due to extremely low sales. It seems that the new Alpha flagship will
be the A77, an SLT (pellicle mirror) successor to the A750.

Old October 6th 10, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
peter

On 10/5/2010 10:43 PM, Rich wrote:
On Oct 5, 5:24 pm, wrote:
On 10/5/2010 5:13 PM, Rich wrote:

wrote in
:

[...]

My point was that there is little difference between people in various
parts of New York and little difference between people in India and
those in Pakistan.

Uh huh!
I don't know which you know less about: New York or global ethnicity.
There are worlds of differences. I have even been called a foreigner in
a Korean restaurant.
There is nothing wrong with cultural and/or ethnic differences. Indeed
the world would be a boring place if they did not exist.

--
Peter
Old October 7th 10, 12:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 18:52:34 -0400, peter
wrote:

My point was that there is little difference between people in various
parts of New York and little difference between people in India and
those in Pakistan.

Uh huh!
I don't know which you know less about: New York or global ethnicity.
There are worlds of differences. I have even been called a foreigner in
a Korean restaurant.
There is nothing wrong with cultural and/or ethnic differences. Indeed
the world would be a boring place if they did not exist.

Heck, ARich recently called me a limey. So that goes to show what he
knows about New Yorkers.
Old October 7th 10, 02:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

wrote:

On Oct 6, 1:32*pm, Bowser wrote:
[...]

You apparenlty have the hilarious notion that resolution
equates to image quality while noise, color fidelity and
other "parameters" don't.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old October 7th 10, 06:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

My point was that there is little difference between people in various
parts of New York and little difference between people in India and
those in Pakistan.

Uh huh!
I don't know which you know less about: New York or global ethnicity.
There are worlds of differences. I have even been called a foreigner in
a Korean restaurant.
There is nothing wrong with cultural and/or ethnic differences. Indeed
the world would be a boring place if they did not exist.

Heck, ARich recently called me a limey. So that goes to show what he
knows about New Yorkers.

Has Rich been to Vancouver lately?
If so he might wonder what is happening in Canada.

Savageduck

Old October 7th 10, 01:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Bowser

wrote:

On Oct 6, 1:32 pm, Bowser wrote:
[...]

And you obviously misunderstood my post. Image quality is the end result of
a number of parameters and factors, including resolution, noise, sharpness,
etc. There is no one factor that by itself determines image quality. I NEVER
said that those parameters/factors didn't matter. Never.