Strange images with new high resolution Sony A7RIV

Old March 21st 20, 08:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Strange images with new high resolution Sony A7RIV

In article e8d9df39-c30b-488d-9292-
, says...

This thread from Dpreview showed some pretty "off" looking images from an A7RIV 60mp camera. Looking at them, it almost looks like the pixels didn't combine properly to form true-colour images. Some tried to blame atmospheric effects but high-magnification views indicate something is wrong. Even the close-up image of the bird at the end, it just looked bad at high mag.

Similar shots using a m4/3rds camera and a 1200mm equivalent focal length showed none of this aberration.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63748514

Seems a combination of camera shake and heavy high ISO noise
reduction (he shot that at ISO 5000). In addition, there is some
visibke chromatic aberration.

It's the curse of the 61MP: he increases the shutter speed to
absurd levels (1/3200 s) to get around the camera shake issue,
but still gets camera shake, and is forced to use very high ISO
which on a camera with small pixels such as this one degrades
the image.

He should have used a tripod and much lower ISO.

And perhaps the Sony A7 R4 shouldn't be used for wildlife
photography.
--
Alfred Molon

Olympus 4/3 and micro 4/3 cameras forum at
https://groups.io/g/myolympus
https://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site
Old March 21st 20, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 16:13:09 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Saturday, 21 March 2020 04:16:35 UTC-4, Alfred Molon wrote:
[...]

Interestingly, most pro wildlife photogs I've seen still use pro camera bodies with 16-24mp...

Some years ago I deliberately bought a 24MP D750 in preference to the
36MP D810 because of my concern about the kind of issues you have
mentioned.

Eric Stevens
Old March 22nd 20, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

The Sony is capable of some remarkable images under controlled conditions, but control is the key.

Some of my best images come from a hand held D70. Extreme control is
not always essential. Having said my ability to hold a camera
adequately still is not what it was and I am increasingly using a
tripod.

Eric Stevens