Running LCD Displays at 1280 x 1024 and effects on photos

Old December 26th 04, 05:49 PM
Steve

Default Running LCD Displays at 1280 x 1024 and effects on photos

Just purchased a 17" LCD (LG L1710s) which runs at 1280 x 1024
resolution. Photos look great but problem is my images don't fit
properly in the screen. There is a gap at top and bottom of screen
which from what i read is due to the different aspect ratio of the LCD
Monitor. I can run the LCD at 1280/960 and the pictures look
great,entire screen is filled, but the text looks lousy so not a good
solution. Is there a fix to get the images to fill the entire screen
while keeping my resolution at 1280 x 1024? I can't believe they are
selling millions of these monitors and images don't fit properly.
Old December 26th 04, 07:08 PM
Harvey

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
Just purchased a 17" LCD (LG L1710s) which runs at 1280 x 1024
resolution. Photos look great but problem is my images don't fit
properly in the screen. There is a gap at top and bottom of screen
which from what i read is due to the different aspect ratio of the LCD
Monitor. I can run the LCD at 1280/960 and the pictures look
great,entire screen is filled, but the text looks lousy so not a good
solution. Is there a fix to get the images to fill the entire screen
while keeping my resolution at 1280 x 1024? I can't believe they are
selling millions of these monitors and images don't fit properly.

Cameras have pixel ratios all over the place. Most of the time you will not
get an exact fit. You will encounter black lines at the top and bottom or
on the sides or...the picture will not be shown in its entirety on the
screen. The same is true of wide screen versus normal screen in the dvd
world. It is just the physics of it. Not the manufacturers fault.

Old December 26th 04, 08:13 PM
Alan Meyer

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
Just purchased a 17" LCD (LG L1710s) which runs at 1280 x 1024
resolution. Photos look great but problem is my images don't fit
properly in the screen. There is a gap at top and bottom of screen
which from what i read is due to the different aspect ratio of the LCD
Monitor. I can run the LCD at 1280/960 and the pictures look
great,entire screen is filled, but the text looks lousy so not a good
solution. Is there a fix to get the images to fill the entire screen
while keeping my resolution at 1280 x 1024? I can't believe they are
selling millions of these monitors and images don't fit properly.

Wait till you try printing your images and discover that the prints
cut off parts of the picture. All the standard American print sizes
11x14, 8x10, 5x7, 4x6, 3.5x5, have different aspect ratios.

Some of the cameras have different aspect ratios based on the
different sizes of the CCD sensors.

Within one camera there are often different aspect ratios for
different selectable size images you can take.

Selectable screen parameters on monitors and video cards have
different aspect ratios.

There is no standard, and it's not clear that there would be a
great benefit if there were.

Why blame the monitor?

Alan

Old December 26th 04, 09:42 PM
Don Lathrop

Steve wrote:

Is there a fix to get the images to fill the entire screen
while keeping my resolution at 1280 x 1024?

Yeah, prepare your images meant for viewing on that
screen to be 1280x1024.

I can't believe they are selling millions of these monitors
and images don't fit properly.

That's nothing compared to what they done with shoes.
I went to a store the other day, and they had hundreds,
maybe thousands of 'em in stock that didn't fit my feet!

Assuming you're not a troll, or just having a little
Christmas fun, the serious answer is that you will
discover over time that there are dozens of variables
in the creation of images. Aspect ratio is only one
of those variables. What seems like a confusing mess
right now will soon become more clear as you
work your way through the confusion. Soon you
will be creating folders on your computer with
different version of photographs for different purposes --
archives straight from the camera, versions optimized
for printing, screen show versions, PowerPoint versions,
and versions meant for viewing on your new monitor.

Old December 26th 04, 09:45 PM
SleeperMan

Steve wrote:
Just purchased a 17" LCD (LG L1710s) which runs at 1280 x 1024
resolution. Photos look great but problem is my images don't fit
properly in the screen. There is a gap at top and bottom of screen
which from what i read is due to the different aspect ratio of the LCD
Monitor. I can run the LCD at 1280/960 and the pictures look
great,entire screen is filled, but the text looks lousy so not a good
solution. Is there a fix to get the images to fill the entire screen
while keeping my resolution at 1280 x 1024? I can't believe they are
selling millions of these monitors and images don't fit properly.

See if you have different pic size setting available on your camera. I know
that on my old olympus i could set it to monitor ratio, or standard analog
film ratio , which is 3:2. And sometimes camera's best resolution is a bit
different than monitor size, but there are lower resolutions available, like
1600x1200, which will fit (after resizing). Note that monitor ratio is 4:3,
while - for example on my Canon S1 max resolution (whixh is 2048x1536) is
5:4, while i do have 1600x1200 1024x768 , both 4:3.
On the other hand i think i did see some picture player which can resize
monitor size temporarily - only while showing pics...just i'd be damned if i
remember where...

Old December 26th 04, 10:29 PM
T.N.T.

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:08:28 GMT, you, "Harvey"
, wrote in
:

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
[...]

It is the manufacturer's fault if it doesn't display anything correctly
at 1280x960 res which is the correct aspect ratio for a 4x3 LCD. If
1280x1024 is the native resolution of the LCD then it doesn't have square
pixels and will not display nicely anything that requires square pixels.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

--
T.N.T.

Lbh xabj jung gb qb vs lbh rire jnag gb rznvy zr.
Old December 27th 04, 05:24 AM
Dave Martindale

"T.N.T." writes:

It is the manufacturer's fault if it doesn't display anything correctly
at 1280x960 res which is the correct aspect ratio for a 4x3 LCD. If
1280x1024 is the native resolution of the LCD then it doesn't have square
pixels and will not display nicely anything that requires square pixels.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

From his description of text looking good at 1280x1024 and bad at
1280x960, we can likely conclude that the panel itself is 1280x1024.

However, I'll bet that the pixels are actually square, and the active
area of the screen has a 1.25 aspect ratio (5:4), not 1.33 like a
classical CRT. If that's true setting the graphics card to 1280x1024
will display digital images correctly, including making circles round.

In that case, his only complaint is that the camera doesn't give images
that fit the screen exactly. A 1.33 image displayed on a 1.25 monitor
needs narrow blank bars at the top and bottom. But this isn't really
much of a problem:

- If the images must be 4:3, viewing programs like Irfanview can display
them with the extra area black so it's not distracting.

- If the images must fit the screen exactly, he can crop them to a 5:4
ratio in his image editor. Since the normal camera output is at much
higher resolution, the images need to be shrunk for screen display
anyway, and adding a cropping step doesn't add much work.

Dave