A truly HORRIFIC tsunami picture

Old January 1st 05, 04:18 PM
Fletis Humplebacker

"Mxsmanic"
"Mark²" mjmorgan(lowest even number writes:

Thank you for posting this image.
People need to understand the enormity of this tragedy, and if even it is
posted on the cover of PLAYBOY...I would appreciate it, simply because
people need to be confronted with REALity these days, rather than the
candy-coated versions so many of these quasi-sensitive phonies insist upon.

Thank you again for this link.

I agree. This sort of image makes the magnitude of the disaster much
easier to grasp.

If someone needs a photo to grasp 120 thousand plus people dying
something is missing.

Old January 1st 05, 04:45 PM
Mike Henley

Big Bill wrote:
On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 12:08:24 -0000, "Zico" wrote:

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
m...
I guess ths is the type of images that were unsuitable for

publication.
I've read papers and websites, and the ~130,000 death toll

seemed
difficult to comprehend, but I guess it's true that one image is

worth
a thousand words, or more. Now I can imagine the massive death

toll.
[WARNING : VERY, VERY DISTURBING!]

http://img145.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img1...uumiita4ft.jpg
[WARNING : VERY, VERY DISTURBING!]

Is it just me, or do others have issues with photos like this one,

posted
on
a site that asks you to "rate this image?" Yes, I understand that,
regardless of subject, one can analyze a photo on its technical

and
artistic
merits, but just because you *can* do that doesn't mean you

*should.*

Good point, asking for a aesthetic rating on something so awful
is pretty tasteless.

JK.

I have to wonder if the rating thing isn't something added to all
pics? I'm not familiar with ImageShack, so I don't know.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

It is added to all pictures.

Old January 1st 05, 05:09 PM
JunkMonkey

I don't think so, most people have no way to relate to that much death and
destruction. It is one thing to "know" something and quite another to truly
absorb it and make it a part of you.

I have been avoiding this sort of post because I didn't want to participate
in some sort of juvenile, voyeuristic thrill seeking. But in a moment of
weakness I looked at the photo. It was a good thing that I did I DO now
understand just how pervasive the death and destruction has been, until now,
it has been just a number and a terrible story on the news.

Old January 1st 05, 05:21 PM
Tim Denning

I believe this picture or one very similar was used in a full (single) page
spread in one of the UK tabloids - possibly the Daily Mirror

I agree with your sentiments - the media has a duty to inform us of world
events and neither sensationalise or censor what is happening - Er in an
ideal world that is :-(

Thanks to the OP for the link

Tim

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Mike Henley writes:

snip
I'm sure this type of image won't make it to most media outlets, but I
think it's very important that photojournalists take such pictures for
information and reference.

snip

Old January 1st 05, 05:36 PM
Big Bill

On 1 Jan 2005 07:45:51 -0800, "Mike Henley"
wrote:

Big Bill wrote:
[...]

Which sort of means that the complaints about it are kinda pointless.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old January 1st 05, 06:02 PM
Mxsmanic

Fletis Humplebacker writes:

If someone needs a photo to grasp 120 thousand plus people dying
something is missing.

Yes: experience. But a photo is less traumatic.

Old January 1st 05, 06:04 PM
Mxsmanic

John EO writes:

You know ... I saw the first news report on the TV and it claimed the death
toll may be as high as 1,000. Each day it has gone up by tens of thousands
and yet any video that is shown only shows some resort area where video
cameras were running as people watch the waves in awe.

Television needs moving images of reasonable quality. There are only so
many to go around, so you see the same images over and over. Dead
people don't move, so showing images of the dead isn't as exciting as
showing images of a moving wave.