A truly HORRIFIC tsunami picture

Old January 1st 05, 12:15 PM
Marli

Thanks for posting the image/link.

Sitting here in my safe air-conditioned room listening to reports on my TV,
I thought "OH how terrible". This image has just brought the magnitude of
the disaster to me..

I have been going to donate when things open up after the new year. I have
just doubled that donation.

Thanks for bring the reality to cosy room. The media do shelter us from the
reality of this sort of thing..

Old January 1st 05, 01:08 PM
Zico

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
I guess ths is the type of images that were unsuitable for publication.
I've read papers and websites, and the ~130,000 death toll seemed
difficult to comprehend, but I guess it's true that one image is worth
a thousand words, or more. Now I can imagine the massive death toll.
[WARNING : VERY, VERY DISTURBING!]

http://img145.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img1...uumiita4ft.jpg
[WARNING : VERY, VERY DISTURBING!]

Is it just me, or do others have issues with photos like this one, posted

on
a site that asks you to "rate this image?" Yes, I understand that,
regardless of subject, one can analyze a photo on its technical and

artistic
merits, but just because you *can* do that doesn't mean you *should.*

Good point, asking for a aesthetic rating on something so awful
is pretty tasteless.

JK.

Old January 1st 05, 01:58 PM
Sergio La Marca

We were floored. Also floored that nobody else cared to take Sadddam out,
even though he murdered **countless** thousands.
-Which is one of MANY reasons we are now there.
Oh.....
You mean you didn't notice the DELIBERATE tragedy under Saddam, but we
should now object to tragedies which come in spite of attempts to avoid,
right?
Interesting.

Tens of thousands of innocent women and children killed by
occupying forces, but no-one gives a toss, cos photos of their
dead bodies aren't being shown in the media.

Yes they are.
Tens of thousands (assuming that's accurate) is very very sad, and

actively
avoided by "occupying forces" with a few exceptions. Still, that is a
comparatively tiny number compared with the horror Saddam unleashed there
during his many years in power. I find it interesting that you're not

upset
by hundreds of thousands of deaths under Saddam.
Try to keep a bit of perspective.

Hi all, I also think the photo was disturbing indeed but needed to be seen,
by adult people at least.
We all try to imagine the vastness of the distruction there but I think
noone without preceding experiences in disasters can truly come near the
real situation. So a photo does help.
As for the point made in the last message, here are my two cents.
As a long-term human rights activist I've come across discussions like these
many times. Every part has its reasons and fierce patrioctical feelings or
equally felt pacifist ideas can flame the discussion. I have long ago, in my
conscience, settled on a practical way to take part on such arguments. I've
taken the Human Rights Declarations as a non-trespassable line against which
to check every action. If it agrees with HRD, it's ok, if it doesn't agree,
it is questionable (not absolutely wrong, look, but surely questionable...)
So I wouldn't see killing thousands of people *better* than killing tens of
thousands, or object to the latter more in perspective than object to the
former... Every single life and every single person counts and has to be
preserved, no matter the effort it may take on our part. That's my thought,
anyway. Now we should all do what we can to help those unfortunate people,
and not forget all the others in so many countries (not counting our own
neighborood...) whose tragedies we do not know from the media.
Best wishes to all.
Sergio La Marca
Italy

Old January 1st 05, 02:11 PM
Mike Henley

Mxsmanic wrote:
Mike Henley writes:

I guess ths is the type of images that were unsuitable for

publication.

There are zillions of images like this that are never used by the

media.
All disasters produce some pretty horrific images, but only the most
inoffensive among them are usually published. This one apparently was
taken by Darren Whiteside for Reuters in Banda Aceh on December 29
(according to the file information).

This was Banda Aceh?

Wow, Banda Aceh was badly hit, as it was so close to the epicenter.

I just saw a video from Banda Aceh on the 26th! Very heart-wrenching.
The violence of the water in the video if you look closely at it is
staggering. There's what I think is a child crying and a woman calming
him. I think he lost his parents; I don't know indonesian but he said
what sounded like "mama, papa" while watching the water :-(

(links all same video - just different mirror)
http://steelerdirtfreak.com/videos/KATC.wmv
http://gloubinet.free.fr/tsunami/03.katc.wmv
http://www.kba-solutions.ru/ThaiVideo/KATC.wmv

And here's a PDF of satellite images of the before and after the
tusnami in Banda Aceh
http://www.digitalglobe.com/images/t...ami_Damage.pdf

And here's an image of the grand mosque that appears in the satellite
photos
http://tinypic.com/159dlk

For those who'd like to know what the image contains before viewing

it,
it's a portrait-oriented color photo of the beach, with innumerable
human cadavers crowded together amongst debris from buildings,

floating
in the water. Most are somewhat bloated and blackened by advancing
decomposition (remember, this is 4 days after the tsunami) and

floating
face-down in the water. Presumably they mainly drowned or died of
internal injuries after being stuck by debris, as very few of them

show
any signs of gross injury externally.

I'm sure this type of image won't make it to most media outlets, but

think it's very important that photojournalists take such pictures

for
information and reference.

From a technical standpoint, the photo is unremarkable; clearly, it's
just intended as documentation.

--
Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me

directly.

Old January 1st 05, 03:19 PM
Mxsmanic

Mike Henley writes:

This was Banda Aceh?

That's what the info on the JPEG says.

Old January 1st 05, 04:01 PM
John EO

You know ... I saw the first news report on the TV and it claimed the death
toll may be as high as 1,000. Each day it has gone up by tens of thousands
and yet any video that is shown only shows some resort area where video
cameras were running as people watch the waves in awe.

Yes, you see a few people floating by and wonder if they made it, hoping
that they did, however until I saw this photo I can only imagine the "real"
devastation that occured to kill this huge amount of people. I don't have a
strong stomach for photos like this and will not need to look a second time
but it did touch me in many more ways than I thought it would but I do
partially understand the tradgedy a lot more now that I have seen such
graphic proof.

Bless those souls!

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Mike Henley writes:

Hi. I didn't post it on that site. I saw the link on some news forum
and it shocked me, so i shared it here. In fact, it shocked me enough
that i didn't notice the rating thing you mention.

Why did it shock you? The media have been talking for days about
135,000 people dead, and mass graves and cremations. Does it surprise
you that thousands of bodies would be floating near the beach?

Perhaps these photos should be more widely distributed, as it sounds
like people don't reflect very much on the texts they read. A photo is
harder to ignore, I think.

Old January 1st 05, 04:03 PM
Big Bill

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 12:08:24 -0000, "Zico" wrote:

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I have to wonder if the rating thing isn't something added to all
pics? I'm not familiar with ImageShack, so I don't know.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"