Renovation of a photograph

Old January 22nd 18, 04:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Renovation of a photograph

In article , David B.
wrote:

Thank you so much for your link. I've been there to have a quick look
and have also enroled on the forum. I'll be returning for sure!

those poor people.

I've always thought that Photoshop is for 'professionals', not for
everyday 'home users' like me.

it is.

there is a consumer version, however, called photoshop elements.

you don't need either one.

Is it something that would make a world
of difference over the facilities now included with Apple's 'Photos'
software?

it would if you know how to use it. otherwise, hell no.

I did once experiment with GIMP on my old iMac but found it rather
complicated to use. Perhaps it's an age thing! ;-)

nope. it's that the gimp is poorly designed, with no attention paid to
ui/ux.
Old January 22nd 18, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-01-21 18:10:00 +0000, David B. said:

Hi

My elderly sister managed to send me a photograph today of our
grandfather. It was taken before he was killed during the first World
War.

Here is a copy of same:- https://imgur.com/a/7XRdW

How best can the image be improved?

I'm soo sorry for your loss! You're with no doubt a troll and that file
is useless! But you could try the free version off Fotor Photo Editor
provided that you could get a better scan of the original. It seems to
have some useless features. Report back to the group and let us know
how it goes...

https://itunes.apple.com/se/app/foto...729?l=en&mt=12
--
teleportation kills

Old January 22nd 18, 06:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-01-21 18:10:00 +0000, David B. said:

Hi

My elderly sister managed to send me a photograph today of our
grandfather. It was taken before he was killed during the first World
War.

Here is a copy of same:- https://imgur.com/a/7XRdW

How best can the image be improved?

I'm soo sorry for your loss! You're with no doubt a troll and that file
is useless! But you could try the free version off Fotor Photo Editor
provided that you could get a better scan of the original. It seems to
have some useless features. Report back to the group and let us know
how it goes...

https://itunes.apple.com/se/app/foto...729?l=en&mt=12

I downloaded the app meself and had a go... Do you want me to post the result?
--
teleportation kills

Old January 22nd 18, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_2_]

Hi

Here is a copy of same:-Â* https://imgur.com/a/7XRdW

How best can the image be improved?

I'm soo sorry for your loss! You're with no doubt a troll and that
file is useless! But you could try the free version off Fotor Photo
Editor provided that you could get a better scan of the original. It
seems to have some useless features. Report back to the group and let
us know how it goes...

https://itunes.apple.com/se/app/foto...729?l=en&mt=12

I downloaded the app meself and had a go... Do you want me to post the
result?

Wow! Yes, please. :-)

--
David B.

Old January 22nd 18, 08:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_2_]

On 22/01/2018 15:45, nospam wrote:
In article , David B.
wrote:

Thank you so much for your link. I've been there to have a quick look
and have also enroled on the forum. I'll be returning for sure!

those poor people.

Read here!

https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum...ive-too.63905/

I've always thought that Photoshop is for 'professionals', not for
everyday 'home users' like me.

it is.

there is a consumer version, however, called photoshop elements.

you don't need either one.

OK
Is it something that would make a world
of difference over the facilities now included with Apple's 'Photos'
software?

it would if you know how to use it. otherwise, hell no.

I'm not sure that I want to do it .... but I might!

I did once experiment with GIMP on my old iMac but found it rather
complicated to use. Perhaps it's an age thing! ;-)

nope. it's that the gimp is poorly designed, with no attention paid to
ui/ux.

You do come out with interesting comments sometimes! ;-)

--
David B.

Old January 22nd 18, 08:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David B.
wrote:

Thank you so much for your link. I've been there to have a quick look
and have also enroled on the forum. I'll be returning for sure!

those poor people.

Read here!

https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum...ive-too.63905/

and the trolling begins there.
Old January 22nd 18, 10:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Beauregard T. Shagnasty

nospam wrote:

David B. wrote:
Thank you so much for your link. I've been there to have a quick
look and have also enroled on the forum. I'll be returning for sure!

those poor people.

Read here!

https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum...u-inquisitive-

too.63905/

and the trolling begins there.

It's already started -- and apparently ended. His link above results in:

Oops! We ran into some problems.
The requested thread could not be found.

LOL! Kicked out and banned already!!!

--
-bts
Old January 22nd 18, 10:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

[...]

Don't pay any attention to nospam. He's never helpful, and just hangs
around here to argue with anything said.

He doesn't have the talent to do anything himself, so he puts others
down. We don't even know if he does any photography.

nothing more than ad hominem attacks.
Old January 22nd 18, 10:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Beauregard T. Shagnasty
wrote:

David B. wrote:
Thank you so much for your link. I've been there to have a quick
look and have also enroled on the forum. I'll be returning for sure!

those poor people.

Read here!

https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum...u-inquisitive-

too.63905/

and the trolling begins there.

It's already started -- and apparently ended. His link above results in:

Oops! We ran into some problems.
The requested thread could not be found.

LOL! Kicked out and banned already!!!

awesome.

i did see the thread. he was asking who owns the site and how it's
funded, completely irrelevant rubbish, as is typical for him.
Old January 22nd 18, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 22, 2018, David B. wrote
(in article ):

On 22/01/2018 00:55, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 18:10:00 +0000, "David B."
wrote:

Hi

My elderly sister managed to send me a photograph today of our
grandfather. It was taken before he was killed during the first World War.

Here is a copy of same:- https://imgur.com/a/7XRdW

How best can the image be improved?

I suggest you post it at https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/ .
Requests like this are handled routinely in that forum, and some of
the results are spectacular. Make sure you title your post to include
that you want an old photo reconstructed.

In your post, specify that you would like to know what steps were
taken in the reconstruction, and that you would like to be able to
follow those steps yourself. State what you will be working with (eg:
CC2018, PS6, Elements, Lightroom, etc)*

Some of the "gurus" there will do the reconstruction, but if you ask
to be informed of the steps they'll provide screenshots. Even if you
want to take on this project yourself, you'll pick up some tips from
this group if someone takes on your project.

What you start with is going to greatly determine what you end up
with. The better your scan, the better starting point you have. The
higher the resolution at the scanning, the better the result. It
takes longer, but this isn't an issue with one photograph.

Hi Tony

Thank you so much for your link. I've been there to have a quick look
and have also enroled on the forum. I'll be returning for sure!

All good suggestions. However, you are hobbled from the start by not having
the available tools, or editing experience.

I've always thought that Photoshop is for 'professionals', not for
everyday 'home users' like me. Is it something that would make a world
of difference over the facilities now included with Apple's 'Photos'
software?

That is a false assumption. There are a considerable number of non-pro photo
enthusiasts in this NG alone who either have, and use an earlier stand-alone
edition of Photoshop, or who subscribe to Adobe CC and have current editions
of Photoshop CC 2018 & Lightroom CC Classic.

This looks like a photograph of a photograph, not a scan. The
lighting is poor and too much to the right. The depth of field is too
wide open. The focus point seems to be the lower right edge. Unless
you have a copy stand and the right lighting, a good scan is a better
starting point.

You are quite right! My sister took a photograph of the old snapshot
with her new iPad Pro and, after a number of failed efforts, was truly
delighted when she discovered that I'd received the image!

....and that is possibly the worst source image to use for any repair. As many
of us have told you, your starting point to obtain a good source image file
is via a high quality flat bed scan, at the highest resolution possible. If
you are not able to do that, then see if you have a local camera store, or
print shop which will do that scan for you.

She's never used a computer nor a smart phone - EVER! It's a
considerable learning curve for an 81 year old! ;-)

Well she has an iPad Pro, and she was capable enough to know/learn how to
send you her photo of the photo.

Actually, you have a good subject to start with. Except for your
grandfather's lower left leg (on the right viewing the image), there's
no real need for reconstructing damaged or missing areas. The crack
across the face is a simple fix with the right software.

At Photoshop Gurus you aren't guaranteed that someone will work on it
unless you offer to pay, but most free requests get good responses.

That good to know, Thank you for your advice. :-)

*This is something you should do even in a newsgroup post. Without
knowing what tool box you'll be working with, people can't really give
useful instructions.

That's something I'll try to remember. I haven't any additional tools
above and beyond those included with Apple's High Sierra.

High Sierra is an OS, not a photo editing app. The Apple excuse for a photo
editor is Photos. You should consider at least one of my suggestions below.
You are not going to be able to do anything beyond basic stuff with Photos.

I did once experiment with GIMP on my old iMac but found it rather
complicated to use. Perhaps it's an age thing! ;-)

Once again, thanks for helping.

Personally I would not recommend GIMP. If I were you I would look to one of
these Mac apps, each of which are capable of doing the repair work.
Pixelmator (now updated to Pixelmator Pro), and Luminar are very good and
will also give you Extensions to suplement Apple Photos. Affinity Photo is
also very good. However, it has a steeper learning curve than the other two.
All three have many online tutorials and guides.

Pixelmator
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pixelmator/id407963104
Pixelmator Pro
http://www.pixelmator.com/pro/