Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

Old October 26th 13, 02:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

In article , MC
wrote:

how many people repair their own laptops? not very many.

Maybe not but they should be, at least, repairable or servicable
without it being cheaper to buy a new one.

they are definitely cheaper to repair than buy a new one.

whatever gave you the idea it isn't?? where do people come up with this
****?

Come on, at least you
should be able to replace a battery, especially at the price these
products sell for.

what for? the battery outlasts the computer and statistics show that
fewer than 5% of laptop users buy replacement batteries anyway.

the battery's lifetime is rated at 5 years. most people replace their
computers by then, but for the few who don't, they can take it to an
apple store to have the battery replaced, which is done while you wait,
just as it is on phones.

*one* battery swap in 5 years is hardly a big deal, assuming you'd want
to keep using a 5 year old computer.

meanwhile, during those 5 years, you have a lighter, thinner and more
reliable laptop, something that benefits users every day.

I mean, they are hardly disposable... or are they?
If so, clever Apple for reeling in those with more money than sense.

they're not disposable and they're not the only company who makes
products with internal batteries either.

when dell did it, not a peep. bunch of hypocrites.

Still, Apple is Apple and there will always be the brand whores who
will buy their products, whatever the cost and design. And, I suppose,
that is Apple's strength.

nonsense. other companies make similar design decisions, and the usual
apple bashers completely ignore that.

like i said, it's more of the same hypocritical bull****.

Their business model relys on being cult
status and having "brainwashed" their users over the years into
believing their products are better than anything else, when really
they are not.

nonsense. nobody is brainwashed. more bull****.

some of apple's products are clearly better and some aren't. more
importantly, some are better suited to what someone wants to do, which
is what matters, and what the bashers don't understand. it's not about
specs.

pick the best tool for the job. if something doesn't fit your needs buy
something else that does. very simple.

Good luck to them, I say, although the easily led will
not fall for it forever.

nobody is being led nor is anyone falling for anything. more idiocy.

people make their own informed choices about what the best product for
their needs is.

that might not be the same product that fits your needs, and you just
have to accept that.

if anything, it's windows users who are easily led, as all they do is
follow the herd, never considering alternatives that might be better
suited to what they actually want to do.
Old October 26th 13, 02:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-10-26 01:00:40 +0000, "MC" said:

nospam wrote:

how many people repair their own laptops? not very many.

Maybe not but they should be, at least, repairable or servicable
without it being cheaper to buy a new one. Come on, at least you
should be able to replace a battery, especially at the price these
products sell for. I mean, they are hardly disposable... or are they?
If so, clever Apple for reeling in those with more money than sense.

Still, Apple is Apple and there will always be the brand whores who
will buy their products, whatever the cost and design. And, I suppose,
that is Apple's strength. Their business model relys on being cult
status and having "brainwashed" their users over the years into
believing their products are better than anything else, when really
they are not. Good luck to them, I say, although the easily led will
not fall for it forever.

MC

It seems that for the sceptic future MacBook buyers, buying AppleCare
is going to be pushed by Apple and other official resellers.

As far as I am concerned, my MBP 17'' is tough as nails, and still
works just fine, and realistically I don't really have a need for
another laptop as my iPad is pretty much filling that role these days.
If anything, one of these days I will probably upgrade to a new 128GB
iPad and keep my battered old MBP for those other odd traveling tasks.

Here is what my battered MBP looks like after taking a drop out of a
case onto my driveway. Not pretty, but it works just fine.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...IMG_0382Ew.jpg

Savageduck

Old October 26th 13, 02:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article ,
says...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10...013_teardowns/

Contrast that to the Lenovo Thinkpads, which have icons on every screw
hole showing what the screws secure, and a mark showing how long the
screw is that goes into that hole. It's like they _want_ people to work
inside their machines.

Old October 26th 13, 02:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , J. Clarke
wrote:

Contrast that to the Lenovo Thinkpads, which have icons on every screw
hole showing what the screws secure, and a mark showing how long the
screw is that goes into that hole. It's like they _want_ people to work
inside their machines.

and the vast majority won't ever do that, so why bother?

meanwhile, don't try to open a surface pro. stuff will break.
Old October 26th 13, 06:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
RichA wrote:

Some people like the ability to add new memory.

very few do so after purchase.

What's Apple charging these days, $500 a gig?

about $12/gig for ddr3 1600, competitive with most ram vendors.
Old October 26th 13, 02:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 10/25/2013 8:41 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2013.10.25, 20:35 , PeterN wrote:

I don't know about 'most people,' but I paid Lenovo for 4 gig of memory,
and bought 16 from Crucial, for much less than half the price Lenovo
wanted to charge. The replacement took less than 15 minutes. I had the
chance to see if I really needed the memory before I bought it, and
saved money in the process.

I recently bought a new iMac with the minimum memory (8 GB).

I bought another 16 GB from Crucial at a lower price than Apple charged
for 8 more.

Stuffing it into the iMac took about 3 minutes from shutdown to startup.

24 GB means never having to write to swap (esp. with the new OS 10.9
"Mavericks" as it appears Apple have done major improvements to memory
management).

My laptop won't support more than 16. There is only one

--
PeterN
Old October 26th 13, 02:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 10/25/2013 8:59 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

I don't know about 'most people,' but I paid Lenovo for 4 gig of memory,
and bought 16 from Crucial, for much less than half the price Lenovo
wanted to charge. The replacement took less than 15 minutes. I had the
chance to see if I really needed the memory before I bought it, and
saved money in the process.

most people wouldn't know where to start to add their own memory. not
everyone is a geek.

now you decide at the time of purchase instead of later, and apple's
prices aren't all that outrageous, assuming you compare the same type
of memory.

for instance, apple charges $100 more for 8 gig versus 4 gig on the 13"
macbook pro retina.

newegg has the same spec memory for $77. other sellers are a little
higher.

$20 to have it preinstalled and not need to deal with figuring out
which chip to get, along with having everything warranted by one
company so there isn't any question about what caused any problem that
might occur, is well worth it.

You don't have to be a geek to install memory. But you are probably
right in this case. IIRC Lenovo wanted $240 more for 16gig. I paid under
$100. I do admit, that I got a deal on it, as I found a place that was
going out of business. Otherwise it owuld have cost me $160, from
Crucial. Still a savings.

--
PeterN
Old October 26th 13, 02:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 10/25/2013 9:41 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , MC
wrote:

[...]

For some strange reason, I like the option, to be able to replace. I
don't like having replacement forced on me. I suspect that "most
people," and I exclude the gaming crowd, use their computers solely for
Internet browsing, email and occasional word processing. The tablets
changed that somewhat, by making low cost specialized apps available.

--
PeterN
Old October 26th 13, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

You don't have to be a geek to install memory.

depends what you call a geek. most people aren't interested in opening
up the computer to install parts, even if it's easy.

you don't need to be an auto mechanic to change a flat tire but most
people don't want to deal with that either.

But you are probably
right in this case. IIRC Lenovo wanted $240 more for 16gig. I paid under
$100. I do admit, that I got a deal on it, as I found a place that was
going out of business. Otherwise it owuld have cost me $160, from
Crucial. Still a savings.

apple currently charges $200 for 16 gig ddr3 1600 memory.

that's *less* than lenovo charges, presumably for the same spec memory.
it'd be much worse if lenovo charges more for lower spec memory.

so much for apple being more expensive.

$40 to have the memory preinstalled and fully warranted by one company
is well worth it to many people. no hassles and it just works. if
anything goes wrong, it will be fixed, without anyone blaming it on
faulty third party memory.
Old October 26th 13, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

For some strange reason, I like the option, to be able to replace. I
don't like having replacement forced on me.

nothing is forced on anyone.

I suspect that "most
people," and I exclude the gaming crowd, use their computers solely for
Internet browsing, email and occasional word processing. The tablets
changed that somewhat, by making low cost specialized apps available.

many people do little more than that, which is why an ipad works out
well for them. a laptop and certainly a desktop is overkill.

for those who are doing stuff like 3d rendering, video editing, etc.,
they can get a more powerful workstation for those tasks and fall back
to an ipad for the simpler stuff. use the best tool for the job.

it also won't be all that long until some of the more sophisticated
stuff will be done on mobile devices.