Transfer time

Old August 24th 04, 03:44 PM
John Wright

Default Transfer time

How much time is needed to transfer a full 512 MB of pictures from a camera with Compact Flash (Type 1) to a Windows PC over USB 1.1? Does it depend on the camera make/model? On memory card make? I am planning on buying a Canon A-95 with Sandisk memory. I am trying to assess if I need a power adapter for the camera, or a card reader on my PC, or the faster cards.

Does Sandisk Ultra II give much better transfer speed? Can Canon A-95 benefit from Sandisk Ultra II card?

Between Sandisk, Kingmax or Ridata memories - is anyone better than the others?

If the camera battery goes flat during transfer, is there any possibility that the camera memory or the disk file(s) partially transferred to the PC may be left in a corrupted/unrecoverable state?

Thanks very much for any comments.

Regards - JW

Old August 24th 04, 05:57 PM
Charlie Self

Jim asks:

How much time is needed to transfer a full 512 MB of pictures from a =
camera with Compact Flash (Type 1) to a Windows PC over USB 1.1? Does it =
depend on the camera make/model? On memory card make? I am planning on =
buying a Canon A-95 with Sandisk memory. I am trying to assess if I need =
a power adapter for the camera, or a card reader on my PC, or the faster =
cards.

Get a card reader. Best under 20 bucks accessory you'll find.

Charlie Self
"Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
Devil's Dictionary

Old August 24th 04, 06:39 PM
Matt Ion

I picked up a Belkin "universal" card reader...only USB 1.1, but it still
transfers off my 300D's 512MB CF card (Lexar "High-Speed 16X with Write
Acceleration technology") twice as fast as transferring direct off the
camera.

USB 2.0, which supports up to 480Mbit/sec transfer rate, is probably
recommended for future considerations, but most current technologies won't
see a significant improvement over USB 1.1, which is rated 12Mbit/sec; the
16X card, for example, is rated 2.4MByte/sec, or 19.2Mbit/sec ("1X" is
defined as 150kByte/sec). Fortunately USB 2.0 add-on cards are cheap (if
your machine doesn't have 2.0 built-in - around $30-$40), and there's no
significant price difference between 1.1 and 2.0 card readers.

from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even
incapable of forming such opinions."
-- Albert Einstein