LR5 - Jennifer's question - Synchronization

Old December 18th 13, 01:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

Default LR5 - Jennifer's question - Synchronization

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 13:24:40 -0500, Tony Cooper
wrote:
: The following is copied verbatim from Tim Grey's newsletter. The
: subject is "Catalog Synchronization" (in LR 5). It addressees the
: question brought up by Jennifer.
:
: You can sign up for Tim's newsletter at http://www.timgrey.com/
:
: The following is copyrighted by Tim, and I am in violation of
: copyrighting law by quoting it in its entirety. Don't turn me in,
: please.
:
: -----------------------------------------------------------------
: Today's Question: I use a MacBook Pro with Lightroom 5 for travel
: photography and a Windows desktop at home. I store my photos on
: external hard drives. I would like to install Lightroom 5 on the
: Windows computer for use in final editing of photos. Once I download
: the Macintosh Lightroom 5 travel catalog photos to my external hard
: drive at home, please explain how I can update the Windows desktop to
: include any edits previously done on the Macintosh. Also, please
: include an explanation going in the opposite direction for syncing the
: desktop and laptop Lightroom 5 catalogs so I may use the laptop for
: further editing during travel or perhaps for presenting a slideshow.
: Tim's Answer: There are a few possibilities here, depending on your
: specific needs.
:
: My personal preference, which closely matches the approach I take,
: would be to maintain your “master” catalog on the computer at home,
: and a “traveling” catalog on the laptop during travels. You could also
: keep both the catalog and the images on an external hard drive,
: connecting that external hard drive to whichever computer you are
: currently using. And finally, you could (though I don’t recommend it)
: copy the catalog from one computer to another whenever you make
: changes, so you have a duplicate of your catalog on each computer.
: This last option is fraught with potential problems if you lose track
: of which catalog is really the most recently updated version.
:
: To me, the simplest and least problematic approach is to maintain a
: “master” catalog at home and then a “traveling” catalog when you’re
: away from home. You can them import new captures into the traveling
: catalog, updating metadata, Develop settings, and more along the way.
: Then, when you get home, simply use the Import from Another Catalog
: command on the File menu to import images from your traveling catalog
: into your master catalog.
:
: If you keep your catalog and photos on an external hard drive, this
: process is even simpler, because you would just connect the external
: hard drive to whatever computer you’re using, and then import or
: update images as needed. Of course, this also means performance will
: suffer a bit (in most cases) with the catalog on an external hard
: drive. It also means you need to travel with that external hard drive
: if you plan to work with your catalog, which can be a bit of a hassle
: depending on the size of that drive.
:
: I strongly recommend against the notion of trying to maintain a
: complete catalog across two computers. There is simply too much risk
: (in my mind at least) of updating the catalog on two different
: computers and creating a situation where you lose information due to
: such confusion.
:
: As for the subject of where to store your Lightroom catalog, I covered
: this subject in a little more detail in the article "Location,
: Location, Location" in the August 2013 issue of my Pixology digital
: magazine (http://pixologymag.com/).
:
: ----------------------------------------------------------------------

To me, the fact that the question needs to be asked is a compelling argument
against the use of Lightroom. I don't doubt that a less clumsy implementation
of Lightroom's catalog would make for a simpler answer, but the fact that
changes to an image are stored in the catalog instead of in the image file
almost guarantees that there will be issues of the sort that Jennifer raised.
I understand why it's done that way: it's a means of maintaining compatibility
across a variety of proprietary RAW formats. But the price the user pays for
that generality is high. For someone who uses more than one manufacturer's
cameras, the ability to use one photo editor for multiple image formats may be
worth the inconvenience. For me, and I suspect also for Jennifer, it isn't.

Bob
Old December 18th 13, 01:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Robert Coe
wrote:

To me, the fact that the question needs to be asked is a compelling argument
against the use of Lightroom. I don't doubt that a less clumsy implementation
of Lightroom's catalog would make for a simpler answer, but the fact that
changes to an image are stored in the catalog instead of in the image file
almost guarantees that there will be issues of the sort that Jennifer raised.

nope.

all that needs to be done in her case is either move the library from
computer to computer, just as someone would move the photos.

alternately, sync it (e.g., dropbox) with a guarantee of not having two
people working on the photos at the same time or the database will be
corrupted.

I understand why it's done that way: it's a means of maintaining compatibility
across a variety of proprietary RAW formats.

that's not why at all.

lightroom does what it does because it's significantly easier to have
the computer manage all of the photos, including where they are, what
they are, what adjustments were made and how to export them.

that leaves the important parts, making them look good, to the user,
and in a non-destructive manner.

But the price the user pays for
that generality is high. For someone who uses more than one manufacturer's
cameras, the ability to use one photo editor for multiple image formats may be
worth the inconvenience. For me, and I suspect also for Jennifer, it isn't.

it's not inconvenient at all. it's a helluva lot easier than the
alternatives.

that's why lightroom is so popular.
Old December 21st 13, 11:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

LR is not for everybody. I still haven't decided to integrate LR into my
workflow, but I'm giving it a fair try. With the exception of
cataloging, anything that I can do in LR I can do in ACR.

--
PeterN
Old December 21st 13, 11:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 12/17/2013 8:36 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Robert Coe
wrote:

[...]

You soon may be able to do a sophisticated cloud sync, as part of a
workgroup.

--
PeterN
Old December 22nd 13, 06:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

You soon may be able to do a sophisticated cloud sync, as part of a
workgroup.

soon?? it's already been happening.
Old December 22nd 13, 07:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-12-22 18:43:14 +0000, nospam said:

In article , PeterN
wrote:

You soon may be able to do a sophisticated cloud sync, as part of a
workgroup.

soon?? it's already been happening.

Yup! Soon.

I got a CC update notice yesterday and I updated this morning. Here is
my current status on my Mac.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_478.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_477.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_476.jpg

Note: there is a difference between Behance syncing and collaborative
galleries (those are available now) and CC desktop file syncing.
Here is the Behance site, I am not sure if non-CC users can access the site.
https://www.behance.net/connections/find?h_tk=1

Savageduck

Old December 22nd 13, 07:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-12-22 18:43:14 +0000, nospam said:

In article , PeterN
wrote:

You soon may be able to do a sophisticated cloud sync, as part of a
workgroup.

soon?? it's already been happening.

Yup! Soon.

I got a CC update notice yesterday and I updated this morning. Here is
my current status on my Mac.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_478.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_477.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_476.jpg

Note: there is a difference between Behance syncing and collaborative
galleries (those are available now) and CC desktop file syncing.
Here is the Behance site, I am not sure if non-CC users can access the site.
https://www.behance.net/connections/find?h_tk=1

Here is some of the work one can find in Behance. I feel totally
inadequate in the company of those folks, just as I feel that my work
is not worthy of posting to 500px.
Again, I am not sure if non-Behance/CC users can see this stuff.
http://bit.ly/17Pix7p

Savageduck

Old December 22nd 13, 08:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 12/22/2013 1:43 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

You soon may be able to do a sophisticated cloud sync, as part of a
workgroup.

soon?? it's already been happening.

That's why Adobe recently announced it is coming.

--
PeterN
Old December 22nd 13, 08:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-12-22 19:46:05 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 11:38:12 -0800, Savageduck

On 2013-12-22 18:43:14 +0000, nospam said:

In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

I don't know what "Behance" is, but the page loads for this non-user.

Behance is the Adobe web site set up for collaborative work and/or
display by CC subscribers. So I guess non-users can access Behance,
interesting. There is some amazing work to be found there, just as
there is amazing work to be found in 500px.

They have standard versions (20GB of space) and ( Pro/corporate
versions). It is included with any level of CC subscription, single
app, or full Creative Collection.

Savageduck

Old December 22nd 13, 08:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

This morning I ran into a guy who teaches LR to beginners. He suggested
that I subscribe to Tim Grey's video tutorials. He said that the
freebies Tim has on Youtube are only teasers. However he also
recommended the tutorials on Scott Kelby's and the Adobe website.
I'll wait for a rainy day for that.
--
PeterN