Select the right camera

Old August 2nd 04, 08:14 PM
Martin Francis

Default Select the right camera

"Tony" wrote in message
Hi All,
I would like to become a professional photographer. On September I
will follow some classes and I am reading a good manual at the moment.
Could you suggest me a good camera to start with with the budget of
$350-$500.

No, not really.

If I were in the learning stages (aren't we always?) again, i'd get
something cheap and cheerful with good optics and a potential route into a
genuine pro system later on once i'd finished with the learning thing. A
Nikon manual focus body or older, used Canon EOS body would be ideal, I
wouldn't spend more than 30% of my initial budget on a body. If I were going
Nikon, i'd get something like an FE or FE2 and a handful of good AF non-zoom
lenses with an eye to fitting them on an AF body like an F5 or F100 later.
There are better used bodies on the Canon market than a new EOS300v, though
I don't know which models specifically- i'd do my research into the EOS 50
and 30 first. And, again, i'd buy a handful of good non-zoom lenses. In both
cases i'd consider either a 28mm f2.8 or 35mm f2.0, a 50mm f1.8 and an 85mm
f1.8 (or, in the case of Canon, a 100mm f2.0). All used.

The EOS300v has virtually no advantages over the F100, except size and mass.
The Canon model directly comparable to the F100 is the EOS 3.

Personally, though, i'd say to concentrate on learning to walk before
deciding which running shoes you'd look best in.

no, and yes...."

Old August 3rd 04, 01:18 AM
Tony

Thank you to everybody for your precious suggestions.
I have read carefully your ideas and the articles by Tony Spadaro on the
subject. I've decided to buy a Canon EOS Elan 7Ne only body camera, plus
a 50mm f1.8. I've just a couple of questions regarding this:

1) I live in Ireland, and in Europe this machine as a different name.
Somebody could please tell me how ELAN 7NE is A.K.A. in Europe (I mean
EOS 30, 33, 50, 30Vdate or what?)

2) I've checked the price here in Europe. The price is exactly the
double of the one listed in bhphotovideo.com or adorama.com. Do you
think it's a good idea to buy the american model and receive it shipped
from USA to Ireland? I intend to buy it from bhphotovideo, do you think
if the camera arrives broken or damaged they will change it free of
charge? Do you have any experience of this kind of shipment?

Thanks a million guys,
you really rock.

Tony

PS: sorry for my English, despite the fact I've been living in Ireland
for few months, I'm not an english native speaker.

Inviato da www.mynewsgate.net

Old August 3rd 04, 02:17 AM
Tony

The taxes to import seems 0% on this kind of goods.
I saw it he
http://europa.eu.int/comm/taxation_c...archap?Lang=EN

Am I miss something?

Cheers,