At my wits end!!!! Kodak camera not transferring photo's.....

Old July 20th 04, 08:06 PM
pjp

Default At my wits end!!!! Kodak camera not transferring photo's.....

Do you have other USB devices attached, especially all the time?

Note that (least USB 1.x) USB spec dictates it can provide 500Ma to the
port. I've run across scenarios where there was two (or more) plug-in
connectors that basically were parallel and only using one port. Hence if
something like a Wingman Rumblepad (force feedback joystick that needs 500Ma
just for itself) is using the other port, other USB devices start failing
from lack of power. Usually, assuming that's the case, getting an external
self-powered USB hub cures the problem but even then one has to be carefull
that the hub is capable of 500Ma simultaineously to all the connections at
the same time as not all are (even though they imply so on the box).

Also, does the camera's software interface to the PC follow the Mass Storage
device (MSD) spec? If it does, then when the camera's connected to the pc it
should "show up" in My Computer as a Removable Disk Drive. If so, just use
Windows Explorer to navigate the drive, descending into the folder(s) until
you find the photos. Then you can simply copy/move the folders onto your
pc's hard disk in the same manner as copying any other file (I recommend
right-click and drag as then you get a pop-up menu of choices when you
"drop" the file(s), Move is actually Copy then Delete original upon
successfull copy). Note Win98SE (and earlier) usually require a vendor
supplied driver for this where-as XP has this feature built-in (hence don't
even need to install any of the camera's supplied software). Also note that
under XP one should use the little taskabr icon that appears when the camera
is attached to first UnMount the drive before disconnecting the camera,
where-as under 98SE one simply turns the camera off and disconnects it.

If it worked before, what has changed? You might want to ask in the
Microsoft Windows newsgroups if the above doesn't point you in the right
direction.

"Lisa" wrote in message
om...
Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help me out as I've emailed this problem via the
Kodak website a few times now and have only had 1 reply, the solution
to my problem (from Kodak) was to upgrade the software to the latest
version and all should be hunkey dorey - well, done that and it still
won't work, so I'm fairly desperate and hope someone knows what's
wrong with it!!!

I have the Kodak Easyshare CX6230 camera, running on Windows XP Pro
computer, plenty of memory, camera used to run fine and all of a
sudden won't behave, this is what's going on.....

Turning the camera on (whilst plugged into the USB port in the PC) the
little Kodak Connection Software window pops up and the bar goes up to
the halfway point then stops. The OneTouch software then appears, I
click on 'transfer all' or any other option and nothing happens.
Nothing that is, until I turn the camera off (or the auto shut down
kicks in) then Onetouch unfreezes and says 'can't find device' - no
because I've had to turn it off!!!

Now I've just tried it again, to type up what's happening and the
Camera Connection is still on the halfway mark and OneTouch hasn't
appeared at all. I've checked in 'My Computer' and the camera is
there, I've checked in device manager and the camera is there too?

I'm going to turn the camera off now......right OneTouch appears????
How mad is that????

I can't manually copy the photo's from 'My Computer' area because it
will freeze up again.

There is no error messages appearing and the camera itself is working
fine - I've now got 100 photo's to upload because this problem has
been going on for so long now. Please, please, please someone help a
desperate lady!!!!

If the suggestion is to uninstall/reinstall the software - tried that
too - no difference.

Thank you in advance for any kind soul who may have an answer!

Lisa
-X-

Old July 21st 04, 01:54 PM
William Jackson

Lisa

one more thought. The "auto shutdown" on the camera should take 8 minutes.
If the camera is shutting down before that, the batteries are not sufficient
to run the camera for transfer.

Are you sure that you have fresh/charged batteries in the camera?

Something is odd on the USB port, either an underpowered hub with too much
on it, or flat batteries in the camera, or something else. All of the
"plumbing" for EasyShare appear to be correct. Try unpluging EVERTHING
from your USB and plugging the camera directly into the PC's USB port. Put
new batteries in the camera and try again. Then send me an email directly.

Old July 22nd 04, 04:37 AM
Mark M

"Lisa" wrote in message
[...]

This is just one of many reasons why VERY few people use the cameras
themselves to transfer pictures.

Get yourself a cheap card-reader.
It will allow you to copy files from it just as you would from your
hard-drive, floppy drive, or CD-ROM, etc.

Old July 22nd 04, 11:01 AM
Keith Sheppard

This is just one of many reasons why VERY few people use the cameras
themselves to transfer pictures.

Get yourself a cheap card-reader.
It will allow you to copy files from it just as you would from your
hard-drive, floppy drive, or CD-ROM, etc.

The only thing which worries me about this approach is how much strain does
it put on the card (and, more importantly, on the contacts in the camera) to
be constantly removing and replacing the card.

I've had some problems with the manufacturer's software but as a developer
myself, my response to that was to buy the camera low-level drivers so I
could write my own photo transfer routines. Interestingly, in the process,
I found some undisclosed features like the ability to write my name into the
camera's non-volatile memory, but that's another story.

Perhaps it's naive but I can't help feeling that I am placing less
mechanical strain on my kit by plugging in the download lead rather than
removing and replacing the card.

Keith

Old July 22nd 04, 01:33 PM
Ron Hunter

Keith Sheppard wrote:
[...]

The card is designed for the purpose, and will handle several tens of
thousands of insertion/removal cycles. I doubt this is something you
need to lose sleep over. What started me using the card reader was the
second time I nearly pulled the camera off the desk onto the floor by
snagging the USB cable. Then the cat began to see the cord as something
to play with. I now have a dock with all the cords routed out of reach
behind the desk, and this serves well, but I still use the card reader
for the spare cards.

Old July 22nd 04, 05:42 PM
Mark M

"Keith Sheppard" wrote in message
This is just one of many reasons why VERY few people use the cameras
themselves to transfer pictures.

Get yourself a cheap card-reader.
It will allow you to copy files from it just as you would from your
hard-drive, floppy drive, or CD-ROM, etc.

The only thing which worries me about this approach is how much strain

does
it put on the card (and, more importantly, on the contacts in the camera)

be constantly removing and replacing the card.

That is a needless worry.
I have shot over 90,000 images using three memory cards, and I have NEVER
transferred via the camera. I've always used a card reader without
exception.