Interesting Comparison of Companies.

Old July 12th 04, 12:49 PM
Mark B.

Default Interesting Comparison of Companies.

"Charles" wrote in message
I had been trying to decide on a new Camera, Nikon or Canon.

I went looking for info on their websites.

with Canon, I found the promotional broachers on line, as well as the
owner's manual. I was able to download and read all the info there.

with Nikon, there is a 4 page summary broachers, and a 16 page
broachers. The 16 page one is not available on line, but can be found
on EBAY. I wonder what secrets Nikon is afraid people will learn from
reading promotional material.

I decided on the Canon largely because the store was sold out of the
Nikon, made the decision easier.

Seems like a silly reason to pick one over the other. Did it not occur to
you to check other stores? I guess things like camera ergonomics & handling
& lens selection don't mean anything to you?

Old July 12th 04, 07:35 PM
George

Which Nikon site did you go to? With the Nikon-USA website, I've downloaded
4 page brochures,
16 page brochures, manuals, software, and firmware updates. It seems like
most manufacturers (not just photo equipment) are putting manuals on-line as
it makes their customers happy, saves printing costs, and answers a lot of
questions for potential buyers as well.

--

- Charles
-

Old July 12th 04, 09:04 PM
scott

"bagal" wrote in message
yeh and why boast on a newsgroup of such a smart, ruthless and efficient
purchasing strategy?

das B

"Mark B." wrote in message
"Charles" wrote in message
I had been trying to decide on a new Camera, Nikon or Canon.

I went looking for info on their websites.

with Canon, I found the promotional broachers on line, as well as the
owner's manual. I was able to download and read all the info there.

with Nikon, there is a 4 page summary broachers, and a 16 page
broachers. The 16 page one is not available on line, but can be found
on EBAY. I wonder what secrets Nikon is afraid people will learn from
reading promotional material.

I decided on the Canon largely because the store was sold out of the
Nikon, made the decision easier.

Seems like a silly reason to pick one over the other. Did it not occur

you to check other stores? I guess things like camera ergonomics &

handling
& lens selection don't mean anything to you?

And didn't you think *why* the stores had sold out?

Old July 13th 04, 05:14 AM
Charles

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah.

I didn't go to other stores because I had already driven 1.5 hours to
get where I was. They had what I considered good prices, were an
established store that I had dealt with before because they had what I
wanted at a good price.

I had researched the Nikon and Canon models I was interested in, and
was torn between the two, Canon for price, Nikon for name.

Lens availably? I want a kick around zoom and a suitable macro lens,
both lines have what I consider to be adequate representatives.

If I were trying to re-use my existing lenses, I would have gone with
Pentax, but they outdid themselves making the camera body so small
that my big clumsy hands don't fit. Canon was usable.

I checked B & H, whom I consider excellent, they were back ordered on
both models I was considering. (Maybe some demand for them?)

As for being sold out on Nikon, maybe they had fewer to start with, or
more demand for them. They were sold out on the Canon when I left the
store, I got the last one in stock.

So, I did what I did, to great derision from other people. I have a
camera that I think will do what I want it to do, and next year it all
starts over again.

--

- Charles
-
Old July 13th 04, 06:07 PM
Brian C. Baird

In article , mbohntrash54
@comcast.net says...
Seems like a silly reason to pick one over the other. Did it not occur to
you to check other stores? I guess things like camera ergonomics & handling
& lens selection don't mean anything to you?

Please. There are hardly enough differences between Nikon and Canon
gear to make his choice unreasonable. He can afford to be "petty."
Old July 13th 04, 07:28 PM
Arte Phacting

what a marvellous spirit - i take back my earlier posting

confession time
when I went shopping for my first digital camera I think a fuse blew so I
ended up going for one I knew worked well coz I knew someone that owned one

I suppose I can't really brag about my strategies either :-)

Artie