best all round photo printer that will do nice B&W's?

Old November 23rd 04, 06:31 PM
Glen S

Default best all round photo printer that will do nice B&W's?

I was almost sold on one of the HP models that Costco carried with the
optional cartridge for printing B&W photos, but they no longer have them
but they do have some of the newer epson's seem like pretty nice units
and also have the "nice to have" option of printing directly on to
printable storage media (cd's & dvd's)

Anyone do a lot of B&W printing for digital photo's? Are these HP's with
the optional cartridge for B&W worth getting for serious B&W printing?

TIA
Old November 23rd 04, 11:02 PM
MJJ

Glen S wrote in message news:QlLod.204751$9b.134352@edtnps84...
I was almost sold on one of the HP models that Costco carried with the
optional cartridge for printing B&W photos, but they no longer have them
but they do have some of the newer epson's seem like pretty nice units
and also have the "nice to have" option of printing directly on to
printable storage media (cd's & dvd's)

Anyone do a lot of B&W printing for digital photo's? Are these HP's with
the optional cartridge for B&W worth getting for serious B&W printing?

TIA

Was very impressed by the quality output of the Canon Pixma IP5000.
It's fast, gives you double-sided printing and prints CD directly
(tho' I'm not sure about the US version)and reasonably priced.
It has 5 inks only, 1 black and 1 "colour" black so it's cheaper to
run than a true photo printer. And it gives very good results but I
haven't tested the black, I must say.

Old November 24th 04, 01:32 AM
bob

Glen S wrote in news:QlLod.204751$9b.134352
@edtnps84:

Anyone do a lot of B&W printing for digital photo's? Are these HP's with
the optional cartridge for B&W worth getting for serious B&W printing?

I've never done any testing, but it seems like this is one area where
systems like the Fuji Frontier would really shine. Having 255 greys would
almost have to do a better job than however many you get on the HP.

Or is that just a black cartridge? If that's the case it's like printing on
a laser printer.

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

Old November 24th 04, 04:10 AM
C J Campbell

The Epson Stylus Photo R800 is an eight cartridge printer that includes a
gloss cartridge. The gloss prevents the 'bronzing' of black and white photos
that is common in inkjet printers. It does the best black and white photos
of any printer that I have seen.

Old November 24th 04, 08:04 AM

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:10:16 -0800, "C J Campbell"
wrote:

The Epson Stylus Photo R800 is an eight cartridge printer that includes a
gloss cartridge. The gloss prevents the 'bronzing' of black and white photos
that is common in inkjet printers. It does the best black and white photos
of any printer that I have seen.

Most of my pro pals who've gone to digital printing swear by the Epson
2200. It sounds like the R800 is a less expensive version that still
uses the two black cartridges, like the 2200. One thing the R800 won't
do is print on paper larger than 8.5" wide. Reviers like the prints
better than on the 2200, but not as much as the (cheaper) R300.

Reviews:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Epson_Stylus...-30608012.html