Pentax ME-Super Black Body Parts.

Old November 26th 04, 05:00 PM
Chris Lindgren

Default Pentax ME-Super Black Body Parts.

I'm looking for a source to obtain the necessary parts to convert my
ME-Super to a black body. Does anyone know of such a source? I know
there were black body ME-Supers available back in their day.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old November 26th 04, 06:32 PM
Peter Chant

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 08:00:23 -0800, Chris Lindgren wrote:

I'm looking for a source to obtain the necessary parts to convert my
ME-Super to a black body. Does anyone know of such a source? I know
there were black body ME-Supers available back in their day.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I've not tried but would it not be easier to just buy a black one. Surely
that would be cheaper and easier than trying to convert one.

Pete

Old November 27th 04, 03:19 AM
Duncan J Murray

Or just buy a Super-A - black, and superior (has DOF preview, more reliable
and TTL flash).

Duncan.

news

Old November 27th 04, 08:20 AM
Peter Chant

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 02:19:44 +0000, Duncan J Murray wrote:

Or just buy a Super-A - black, and superior (has DOF preview, more reliable
and TTL flash).

Is that also known as a program A? I've seen one of those when I was
looking to replace my ME Super as it seemed to be getting a bit
unreliable. Seemed about the same size as a ME Super and very similar
construction except that a databack made it a tad bigger. The extra
fetures sound interesting.

I've now got an MZ-5n, to go with a modern AF zoom. I note however that
I tend to use it on manual with the spot meter rather a lot. Its a pity
the ME Super has not got that feature. It is also less bulky, I think on
the quiet I prefer it.

BTW, is there a good cheap flash gun that can use TTL? I've a dedicated
Centon flash that is not TTL and about £30. There is a big jump to much
more expensive/advanced flashes before TTL can be made use of buy the look
of things.

Old November 28th 04, 07:36 PM
Duncan J Murray

The Super-A is similar to the Program-A, but not quite the same. They're
both highly competant cameras, but the Super-A was the bigger brother, with
some extra features - adding shutter priorty and TTL flash to the
Program-A's Manual, Aperture P, and Fully P exposure modes. It's also
slightly better made, and would seem a bit more reliable (I have both - the
Program-A is dying in quite a bizarre way - Alzheimer's I think, though as
long as I'm vigilant, it still takes great photos). I haven't seem one with
a data back before.

The program-A has DOF preview, which makes it a useful upgrade from the
ME-super, as well as being a tad more reliable, I've heard (though none of
these compare to the MX, of course).

I looked for a TTL flash for my Super-A, but couldn't quite find one for a
decent price, really. I settled on a dedicated Pentax flash called the
AF240Z, for less that £20, almost new condition - and it takes perfect
exposures with my 35-70mm lens. It's a big, soft flash, which is very
flattering, and has a lot of filling power, though without over-exposing
people closer to the camera. I don't know how it does it! Though it does
work as an 'auto' flash - cutting off the flash depending on the reflectance
it is receiving.

Old November 29th 04, 02:22 AM
Peter Chant

I looked for a TTL flash for my Super-A, but couldn't quite find one for a
decent price, really. I settled on a dedicated Pentax flash called the
AF240Z, for less that £20, almost new condition - and it takes perfect
exposures with my 35-70mm lens. It's a big, soft flash, which is very
flattering, and has a lot of filling power, though without over-exposing
people closer to the camera. I don't know how it does it! Though it does
work as an 'auto' flash - cutting off the flash depending on the reflectance
it is receiving.

Does it use TTL or have its own sensor.

Actually I don't know why I'm asking I rarely use flash. However, I am
sure TTL must be a serious advance.

Pete

Old November 29th 04, 03:56 PM
Warren B. Hapke

Duncan J Murray wrote:
: Or just buy a Super-A - black, and superior (has DOF preview, more reliable
: and TTL flash).

: Duncan.

In the US, this model was called the SuperProgram. It's not at common
as the ME-Super, but it is fairly easy to find on the used market.
However, I've never seen a black SuperProgram. The web page on this model
at http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/ seems to imply that the SuperA was always
made in black, and the SuperProgram in chrome.

Warren B. Hapke

:

Old November 30th 04, 01:41 AM
Duncan J Murray

I looked for a TTL flash for my Super-A, but couldn't quite find one for
decent price, really. I settled on a dedicated Pentax flash called the
AF240Z, for less that £20, almost new condition - and it takes perfect
exposures with my 35-70mm lens. It's a big, soft flash, which is very
flattering, and has a lot of filling power, though without over-exposing
people closer to the camera. I don't know how it does it! Though it
does
work as an 'auto' flash - cutting off the flash depending on the
reflectance
it is receiving.

Does it use TTL or have its own sensor.

Actually I don't know why I'm asking I rarely use flash. However, I am
sure TTL must be a serious advance.

Pete

It has it's own sensor - I did try looking for TTL, but I think they are
much more sought after. I don't know why, as my flash seems to have coped
exceptionally well so far... I never used to use flash, but now I'm finding
that a bit of fill-in flash is very useful.

Duncan.