5 Megapixel VS. 4 Megapixel camera

Old March 8th 05, 05:58 PM
bob

Mark wrote:

Does anyone know why it is like this considering the different
megapixel specification for each camera? I would have thought that the
5 meg camera would have larger jpegs.

It sounds like your camera uses more compression. The compression throws
away a lot of the image detail. Yours throws away more than his.

If you both take similar photos of the same scene, and if you both make
8x10 prints, does one camera produce better looking prints than the other?

Bob
Old March 8th 05, 07:23 PM
Ron Hunter

Larry wrote:
In article , says...

I own a Sony Cybershot 5.0 Megapixel camera (cybershot DSC-P10). My
buddy owns an Olympia 4.0 Megapixel camera.
[...]

When my buddy takes pictures, the size of the resulting jpeg files is
larger - closer to 2.5 Meg.

Different file compression settings.
Thats about it.

Comparing one brand to another is tough.

But important. If the files are smaller, they contain less
information. (I'm still looking for a camera that offers lossless
TIFF compression.)

-Joel

Please feed the 35mm lens/digicam databases:
http://www.exc.com/photography

Unless you are into VERY long waiting times you dont want what you think you
want.

Of the several cameras I have that save .tif files, the wat can be as long as
a minute for a 5mp photo.

Even the wait for a raw file is shorter.

There MAY be some cameras around that save .tif as fast as lightning, but if
there is, I have yet to see it.

Cameras on the D70 level and fast CF cards can save in a few seconds,
but then you pay a premium price for both.

--
Ron Hunter
Old March 8th 05, 07:51 PM
Larry

In article , says...
Larry wrote:
[...]

I assumed he meant a P&S but I often assume incorrectly

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
Old March 9th 05, 05:06 PM
Paul H.

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I own a Sony Cybershot 5.0 Megapixel camera (cybershot DSC-P10). My
buddy owns an Olympia 4.0 Megapixel camera.

We both set our cameras to the highest resolution.

When I take pictures, the size of the resulting jpeg file is
approximate 2 meg, give or take 100K (on average).

When my buddy takes pictures, the size of the resulting jpeg files is
larger - closer to 2.5 Meg.

Does anyone know why it is like this considering the different
megapixel specification for each camera? I would have thought that the
5 meg camera would have larger jpegs.

Different compression ratios is the biggest reason for the difference, but
noise contributes to compression variability among cameras, too. The more
contiguous pixel redundancy in a photo, the more it can be compressed;
cameras producing noisier pictures have decreased pixel redundancy and hence
compress to larger file sizes. To see this effect, use a noise-reduction
program such as NeatImage and save the same picture several times using
different noise redunction amounts; the more "noise" is reduced, the
smaller the resulting jpeg.