ISO and actual sensitivity in DSLR's (D70, *istD, 20D, S3...)

Old March 25th 05, 03:40 PM
Roland Karlsson

Alan Browne wrote in news:d213jh$iuf$2
@inews.gazeta.pl:

er, this is an equipment group. This *is* one of the things we discuss
here.

Alan - I just tried to be nice to Pete.

Personally I fully agree with you. I just acknowledged
that not everyone do. And that is OK IMHO.

/Roland
Old March 25th 05, 04:00 PM
Alan Browne

David J Taylor wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:
[]

er, this is an equipment group. This *is* one of the things we
discuss here.

"This" is cross-posted, so it's not even one group.....

Both groups are equipment related. I apologize for my use of the
singular above and trust that the flogging, while justly deserved, will
be administered mercifully.

Old March 25th 05, 04:02 PM
Alan Browne

Roland Karlsson wrote:

Alan Browne wrote in news:d213jh$iuf$2
@inews.gazeta.pl:

er, this is an equipment group. This *is* one of the things we discuss
here.

Alan - I just tried to be nice to Pete.

Personally I fully agree with you. I just acknowledged
that not everyone do. And that is OK IMHO.

Appolgies, I thought you were replying to me. My news reader does a bad
job of organizing refreshes.

Cheers,
Alan

Old March 25th 05, 04:24 PM
David J Taylor

Alan Browne wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:
[]

er, this is an equipment group. This *is* one of the things we
discuss here.

"This" is cross-posted, so it's not even one group.....

Both groups are equipment related. I apologize for my use of the
singular above and trust that the flogging, while justly deserved,
will be administered mercifully.

As DSLRs are in the title, I thought you might have preferred the
slr-systems group.

I will not treat you to a flogging, sorry!

Cheers,
David

Old March 25th 05, 04:26 PM
McLeod

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 08:25:09 -0500, Alan Browne
wrote:

For those who use an incident meter or seperate spot meters (including
myself), such information is useful.

And if you have time to incident meter, you probably have time to look
at the histogram and adjust accordingly, as well.
Old March 25th 05, 04:50 PM
Alan Browne

wrote:

For those who use an incident meter or seperate spot meters (including
myself), such information is useful.

And if you have time to incident meter, you probably have time to look
at the histogram and adjust accordingly, as well.

Quicker to set strobes with an incident flash meter. Though I am
developing a worrisome, guilt inducing chimping habit when outdoors with
the D7.

Cheers,
Alan.
Old March 25th 05, 07:02 PM
Jan Böhme

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 23:02:51 -0500, Alan Browne
wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

I picked up Casseur D'Images (No. 271, March 2005) and among other

Chasseur D'Images

No need for correction. It was much more fun as it read first.

Jan Böhme
Korrekta personuppgifter är att betrakta som journalistik.
Felaktigheter utgör naturligtvis skönlitteratur.
Old March 25th 05, 07:50 PM
Roland Karlsson

Alan Browne wrote in news:d21cm6$s5u$2
@inews.gazeta.pl:

Appolgies, I thought you were replying to me. My news reader does a bad
job of organizing refreshes.

NP - mozilla's that bad eh?

/Roland
Old March 25th 05, 09:28 PM
Jim

wrote:

For those who use an incident meter or seperate spot meters (including
myself), such information is useful.

And if you have time to incident meter, you probably have time to look
at the histogram and adjust accordingly, as well.

Quicker to set strobes with an incident flash meter. Though I am
developing a worrisome, guilt inducing chimping habit when outdoors with
the D7.

That is about the only way to set them correctly. I alas have no experience
with studio equipment.

However, in my case, I tested my D70 when I first received it. I found that
the exposure of a gray card as reported by the built in meter (using spot
meter) is correct. That is to say, it always agreed with the sunny 16 rule.
I found that the resulting photographs showed the expected histogram shape.
I have since found that the outdoor photographs need very little if any
correction using the levels command.

I also found that the exposure of a gray card with the built in flash is
correct. However, the flash does under expose my black dog about 1/2 stop.
That little underexposure is easily corrected, but annoying none the less.
The manual does caution that photographs of dark objects may be
underexposed. I suppose that my experience agrees with the caution.

Jim

Cheers,
Alan.

Old March 25th 05, 10:39 PM
Alan Browne

wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

I picked up Casseur D'Images (No. 271, March 2005) and among other

Chasseur D'Images

No need for correction. It was much more fun as it read first.

I laughed myself, but explaining it didn't seem seemly.