Burke & James solar for 5x7??

Old February 3rd 04, 01:46 PM
CBlood59

Default Burke & James solar for 5x7??

Hello,

I would like to know if the B&J Solar enlarger can be used to enlarge 5x7
negatives. Does anyone have experience with this enlarger?

Curt Blood
Old February 4th 04, 04:38 AM
John

On 03 Feb 2004 23:54:26 GMT, (JCPERE) wrote:

AFAIK Solar and Elwood had nothing to do with each other.

Chuck

You could well be right. For some reason I was under the
impression that B&J bought their enlargers from Elwood.

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer -
http://www.darkroompro.com
Please remove the "_" when replying via email
Old February 5th 04, 12:08 PM
Richard Knoppow

"CBlood59" wrote in message
Hello,

I would like to know if the B&J Solar enlarger can be used

to enlarge 5x7
negatives. Does anyone have experience with this

enlarger?

Curt Blood

I have one sitting on the other side of the room. This is
the diffusion model and will take 5x7. A similar chassis was
used with a combination condenser/diffuser for 4x5. Mine
takes the impossible to find No.301 enlarger lamp the same
as some Elwood models. I had one the condenser enlargers
many years ago. It used a PH 211 lamp. This will take one
but I think the reflector is intended for the larger
envelope of the 301. Solar was a trade name of Burke &
James. These were good quality not very expensive enlargers.
They are set up to take several kinds of lens boards
including 4x5 Speed Graphic boards.
You may have to shim the base to get it into alignment.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old February 7th 04, 02:36 PM