Depth of Field In Macro Photography

Old December 15th 05, 07:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Depth of Field In Macro Photography

Hi there,

I been trying to improve my skills in Macro Photography
and have always been a little frustrated at the limited depth of
field you can achieve when working with a macro lens at a
magnification ratio of 1 to 1 or higher.

I found a couple of programs that are designed to help you increase
the depth of field by combining multiple images, each of which are
focused on a different part of the subject, and then makes a single
image with an extended depth of field not possible with a single
shot.

I've uploaded some sample of images I created with these programs to
demonstrate what they can do.

http://freespace.virgin.net/george.g...ages/test.html

The programs are ;

Helicon Focus Pro. This is a commercial program and the trial only
works for 30 days if you don't buy a registration key. It can be
found at;

http://www.heliconfocus.com/pages/focus_overview.html

CombineZ. This is a freeware program. It can be found at;

http://www.hadleyweb.pwp.blueyonder..../combinez5.htm

With care these programs seem to able to defy the laws of optics.
From my limited experience, Helicon does a better job, but I'm not
sure if the difference is worth the cost of the program.

I hope some of you might find them interesting.

Bye for now,

George Dingwall

Invergordon, Scotland

http://freespace.virgin.net/george.gdingwall/index.html
Old December 15th 05, 07:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article ,
George Dingwall wrote:

[...]

From my limited experience, Helicon does a better job, but I'm not
sure if the difference is worth the cost of the program.

I hope some of you might find them interesting.

Bye for now,

George Dingwall

Invergordon, Scotland

http://freespace.virgin.net/george.gdingwall/index.html

You could also use a tilt lens or a bellows with tilt. This lets you
control the plane of focus so it is possible to have tremendous
sharpness depth in a given plane with a lens wide open. To broaden the
width of the plane you can stop your lens down to increase the depth of
field. this is controlling the plane of focus via the Scheimpflug
principal where an image plane and the subject plane meet at a common
point.

Novoflex is one supplier of a tilt/shift bellows.

By doing macro work and combining depth of field with control of the
plane of focus you may eliminate any need for software to correct any
areas of unsharpness and save time by capturing the desired area in
camera.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old December 16th 05, 06:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

George Dingwall wrote:
[...]

From my limited experience, Helicon does a better job, but I'm not
sure if the difference is worth the cost of the program.

I hope some of you might find them interesting.

Bye for now,

George Dingwall

Invergordon, Scotland

http://freespace.virgin.net/george.gdingwall/index.html