Kiev 88 question - Light leaks

Old February 3rd 04, 03:10 PM
Yannis Exidaridis

Default Kiev 88 question - Light leaks

Recently I bought a 6x4.5 film back for my Kiev 88.
I used it about 2 months ago and noticed that a couple or more shootings
were suffered from light leaks. I thought that it was my fault.

But recently (in a short journey) I shoot some pictures again with the
same film back and had light leaks again. I never had light leaks with
the 6x6 film back so i try to find where is the problem.

I wonder if the film back (although new) is causing light leaks.
How can i face it? Is there another kiev owner out there with the same
problem?

Regards
Yannis

"H πίστη είναι η αντίθεση της απόδειξης"

Old February 3rd 04, 03:41 PM
Ralf R. Radermacher

Yannis Exidaridis wrote:

Recently I bought a 6x4.5 film back for my Kiev 88.
I used it about 2 months ago and noticed that a couple or more shootings
were suffered from light leaks. I thought that it was my fault.

But recently (in a short journey) I shoot some pictures again with the
same film back and had light leaks again. I never had light leaks with
the 6x6 film back so i try to find where is the problem.

I wonder if the film back (although new) is causing light leaks.

One of the many pleasures of owning an 88 is that - instead of
manufacturing everything to the required tolerances - the folks at
Arsenal rather select matching combinations of backs and bodies at the
factory. Buying additional backs without having them sledgehammered into
a shape that'll fit your particular body leads to the problems you've
just described.

So (a) have this back adjusted or (b) keep buying more backs and sell
them on ebay until you'll happen to find one that fits.... :-/

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher - DL9KCG - Kφln/Cologne, Germany
private homepage: http://www.fotoralf.de
Old February 4th 04, 05:32 AM
Ken Hart

"Yannis Exidaridis" wrote in message
Recently I bought a 6x4.5 film back for my Kiev 88.
I used it about 2 months ago and noticed that a couple or more shootings
were suffered from light leaks. I thought that it was my fault.

But recently (in a short journey) I shoot some pictures again with the
same film back and had light leaks again. I never had light leaks with
the 6x6 film back so i try to find where is the problem.

I wonder if the film back (although new) is causing light leaks.
How can i face it? Is there another kiev owner out there with the same
problem?

Regards
Yannis

I'm not familiar with the 645 back, but I have had light leaks with the 6x6
backs. The leak was very minor (required a lot of light to cause damage),
and I suspect it was coming in where the insert mates to the outer housing
of the back; the film back to camera connection was not the problem.
The light leak caused a streak across the film approximitely 1/2 inch above
and below the negative stage. Since it is was a minor light leak, and I
don't leave film in the camera very long, it hasn't been a problem for me.
Check for bare metal and color it black with a marker pen or paint, look at
the dark-slide slot and make sure the felt isn't damaged, and check the
groove where the insert meets the outer housing.

Ken Hart

Old February 5th 04, 08:17 AM
Yannis Exidaridis

I'm not familiar with the 645 back, but I have had light leaks with the 6x6
backs. The leak was very minor (required a lot of light to cause damage),
and I suspect it was coming in where the insert mates to the outer housing
of the back; the film back to camera connection was not the problem.
The light leak caused a streak across the film approximitely 1/2 inch above
and below the negative stage. Since it is was a minor light leak, and I
don't leave film in the camera very long, it hasn't been a problem for me.
Check for bare metal and color it black with a marker pen or paint, look at
the dark-slide slot and make sure the felt isn't damaged, and check the
groove where the insert meets the outer housing.

Ken Hart

Thanks a lot for your advice. !
I will check all these things carefully.

Yannis Exidaridis

Old February 6th 04, 12:06 AM
Sherman

"Yannis Exidaridis" wrote in message
Recently I bought a 6x4.5 film back for my Kiev 88.
I used it about 2 months ago and noticed that a couple or more shootings
were suffered from light leaks. I thought that it was my fault.

But recently (in a short journey) I shoot some pictures again with the
same film back and had light leaks again. I never had light leaks with
the 6x6 film back so i try to find where is the problem.

I wonder if the film back (although new) is causing light leaks.
How can i face it? Is there another kiev owner out there with the same
problem?

Regards
Yannis

"H πίστη είναι η αντίθεση της απόδειξης"

A mechanic once told me "just because it is new doesn't mean it isn't
broken!". That applies to Kievs probably more than any other camera. I own
a Kiev 88CM and had light leaks in one back (6x6 NT). The leaks were my
fault, I had tried to force the darkslide in when I shouldn't have and
damaged the light seal. I'd start there.

You can check where the leak is in general by looking at the negatives.
Remember that the image projected onto the film by the lens is upside down
and reversed left to right. Put the film up to the back in the right
orientation and you can tell approximately where the light is getting in.

Sherman
http://www.dunnamphoto.com

Infrared light leak Ursus Californicus In The Darkroom 11 June 15th 04 03:03 AM
Odd Omega DII Lamp House design - light leak possible? Philip Wang In The Darkroom 4 April 5th 04 05:25 AM
Bellows question T R In The Darkroom 4 March 10th 04 04:48 PM
Lask question about KIEV Stacey Medium Format Photography Equipment 3 January 31st 04 03:52 AM
f-stop to light transmission % ratio question f/256 In The Darkroom 1 January 25th 04 04:07 AM