Ektars for Hassy - do they really exist?

Old February 8th 04, 12:13 AM
Q.G. de Bakker

Default Ektars for Hassy - do they really exist?

Winfried Buechsenschuetz wrote:

[...] So the swedish were
not the only 'Nazi opponents' who still traded with them. There were
quite a few more.

There were indeed quite a few Nazi opponents that traded with Nazi Germany.
But Sweden was not among them. Sweden was a neutral country.
;-)

Mind you, that does not say anything about how Swedes thought about Nazis.

Old February 8th 04, 12:53 AM
Dan Fromm

Lassi Hippeläinen wrote:

Zeiss didn't make the lenses. They licenced their technology to B&L and
a few others, but the licences didn't include Zeiss labels.

Come on, Lassi. B&L, Wray, and Krauss (Paris, I believe) all made
Zeiss lenses under license and all badged them "Zeiss" and the lens
type, e.g., Tessar or Protar. When Zeiss' patents expired the
licensees went their own ways and stopped crediting Zeiss.

As for "Kodak Anastigmat", the words were applied to triplets,
dialytes, some tessar types, heliar types, and still others rather
more complex. The words mean anastigmatic lens made by or for Kodak,
and that's all.

"Ektar" was EKCo's word for "the best lens we make in this category"
and covered many designs.

I typed "tessar type" because if you look closely at the design you'll
see that in detail Kodak's lenses aren't quite tessars as originally
patented. And I typed "heliar type" because Altman's five element
lenses' designs as patented really aren't quite the same as Booth's
Pentac as patented and neither is quite the same as Harting's Heliar
as patented.

We have to be careful not to misuse words that have quite precise
meanings.

Cheers,

Dan
Old February 8th 04, 09:59 AM
Lassi Hippeläinen

Dan Fromm wrote:

Lassi Hippeläinen wrote:

Zeiss didn't make the lenses. They licenced their technology to B&L and
a few others, but the licences didn't include Zeiss labels.

Come on, Lassi. B&L, Wray, and Krauss (Paris, I believe) all made
Zeiss lenses under license and all badged them "Zeiss" and the lens
type, e.g., Tessar or Protar. When Zeiss' patents expired the
licensees went their own ways and stopped crediting Zeiss.

I think I already corrected that statement. (I wrote it out of memory.)
Zeiss did limit the use of their labels when they sold licences to other
German manufacturers. At least B&L and Krauss had a licence to use the
label Tessar. Don't know about Wray, but they seem to have labelled
their Tessar types as Lustrar.

-- Lassi
Old February 8th 04, 10:02 AM
Lassi Hippeläinen

Winfried Buechsenschuetz wrote:

Lassi Hippeläinen wrote in message ...

Coca-cola Germany had to develop a replacement for Coke, because they
couldn't get the original dark goo from America. So they made their own
yellow soup using oranges, and Fanta was born...

Wrong. USA did not hesitate to sell Coca-Cola to Germany in the 1930s.
Also, Walt Disney films were shown in Germany, and IIRC even some
editions of Mickey Mouse were printed in Germany. So the swedish were
not the only 'Nazi opponents' who still traded with them. There were
quite a few more.

Winfried

I wasn't referring to the thirties. Did Coca-Cola trade with Germany
also during WW2? After 1941, to be exact.

-- Lassi
Old February 8th 04, 10:10 AM
Lassi Hippeläinen

Stacey wrote:

Q.G. de Bakker wrote:

Kodak did have a very fine, "cutting edge" lens design department. I doubt
that they felt the need to use "foreign" designs. Do you have a source for
your "Ektars were licensed Tessars" statement?

And at that point in time, any patent on that lens design would have long
since expired anyway.

But they would still be valid technology. Anyway, I didn't claim that
all Ektars were Tessars. Only that *some* of them were. Since Kodak
happily used their labels in various ways, I think I was correct at that
point.

During WW2 Kodak had enough skills to design their own lenses. Or
recompute Tessar or Planar designs to match their available glasses. My
main point was that the chain Zeiss-B&L-Kodak-Hasselblad existed.
Hasselblad's use of Kodak lenses didn't come out of blue sky. If the
Ektars that were sold to Hasselblad had anything to do with Tessar is
another matter.

-- Lassi
Old February 8th 04, 12:57 PM
Q.G. de Bakker

Lassi Hippeläinen wrote:

[...] My
main point was that the chain Zeiss-B&L-Kodak-Hasselblad existed.

I doubt that. Where's the evidence?

Hasselblad's use of Kodak lenses didn't come out of blue sky.

Indeed it did not.
There was a longstanding friendship between the Hasselblad family and George
Eastman, which began when Victor Hasselblad's grandfather met George Eastman
while honeymooning in London, England (Hasselblad, that is. Eastman never
married), in the year 1885. At that time, Geroge Eastman was not yet the
large industrialist he would turn out to be, the "Eastman Kodak" company did
not yet exist. Eastman was still trying to make it as the "Eastman Dry Plate
and Film Company".

This meeting must have been a pleasant one, for it not only resulted in
Hasselblad representing Eastman Kodak in Sweden, but also in Victor
Hasselblad going to both Eastman Kodak in Rochester and Eastman Pathé in
France to "learn a trade".
Victor severed the ties with Eastman Kodak

That tie, combined with the impossibility to get Zeiss lenses for his civil
camera, will have been decisive in Victor Hasselblad's choice for Kodak
lenses. Not a supposed Zeiss-B&L-Kodak-Hasselblad chain.

Old February 8th 04, 01:12 PM
Bob Salomon

In article ,
"Q.G. de Bakker" wrote:

Lassi Hippeläinen wrote:

[...]

And Kodak was the original importer for hasselblad in the US which was
sold through the Eastman Kodak stores.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old February 11th 04, 06:51 AM
Winfried Buechsenschuetz

Lassi Hippeläinen wrote in message ...

I wasn't referring to the thirties.

That's right, but the post you answered was referring to the thirties.

Did Coca-Cola trade with Germany
also during WW2? After 1941, to be exact.

I have severe doubts that Germany spend any dime of its foreign
currency fonds for importing soft drinks during war. Despite there was
war they rather kept on importing marble panels for the new government
headquarters and rather cut the rations for their own populations.

Winfried
Old February 11th 04, 05:23 PM
Lassi Hippeläinen

Winfried Buechsenschuetz wrote:

Lassi Hippeläinen wrote in message ...

I wasn't referring to the thirties.

That's right, but the post you answered was referring to the thirties.

And my original comment further up the thread wasn't.

Anyway, some Americans eagerly traded with the Nazies:
http://www.tarpley.net/bush2.htm.

OK, we are getting far out of the scope of this ng...

-- Lassi
Old February 12th 04, 08:24 AM
Winfried Buechsenschuetz

Lassi Hippeläinen wrote in message ...

Anyway, some Americans eagerly traded with the Nazies:
http://www.tarpley.net/bush2.htm.

Very interesting article. I knew about german companies financing H.,
but never heard that (partially) US banks were involved in this.

OK, we are getting far out of the scope of this ng...

ACK, I feel we should not go deeper into this issue, at least not in
this ng.

Winfried