Kodak makes memory cards?

Old January 22nd 05, 02:32 AM
Basic Wedge

Default Kodak makes memory cards?

I've started seeing memory cards with Kodak's name on them. Is this
something new, or have I just been missing it? Any experience with them? Any
opinions on how they compare to other brands?

Rob

Old January 24th 05, 10:15 PM
Ron Baird

Hi Rob,

Actually, Kodak has offered memory cards since very early on (in the 90's).
So, the cards you are seeing currently are indeed of the highest quality and
should perform very well for you. If you have any questions, about them or
other Kodak media or camera issues, let me know. Glad to help.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Old January 25th 05, 02:05 AM
Ron Hunter

Ron Baird wrote:
Hi Rob,

Actually, Kodak has offered memory cards since very early on (in the 90's).
So, the cards you are seeing currently are indeed of the highest quality and
should perform very well for you. If you have any questions, about them or
other Kodak media or camera issues, let me know. Glad to help.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Basic Wedge" wrote in message

I've started seeing memory cards with Kodak's name on them. Is this
something new, or have I just been missing it? Any experience with them?

Any

opinions on how they compare to other brands?

Rob

However, I don't believe Kodak actually MAKES the cards. Usually such
things are 'rebranded'. They are supplied under contract by a reputable
supplier, and manufactured to Kodak specifications. I believe actual
flash memories are only made be a few companies, world-wide.

--
Ron Hunter
Old January 25th 05, 11:33 AM
David J Taylor

Ron Baird wrote:
Hi Rob,

Actually, Kodak has offered memory cards since very early on (in the
90's). So, the cards you are seeing currently are indeed of the
highest quality and should perform very well for you. If you have any
questions, about them or other Kodak media or camera issues, let me
know. Glad to help.

Note: "offered" not "made".
They could be from any manufacturer.

David

Old January 25th 05, 12:33 PM
adm

"David J Taylor" wrote in message
Ron Baird wrote:
Hi Rob,

Actually, Kodak has offered memory cards since very early on (in the
90's). So, the cards you are seeing currently are indeed of the
highest quality and should perform very well for you. If you have any
questions, about them or other Kodak media or camera issues, let me
know. Glad to help.

Note: "offered" not "made".
They could be from any manufacturer.

True.

However - I'd imagine Kodak have a pretty strict specification on anything
they buy in and badge....

Old January 25th 05, 01:08 PM
David J Taylor

Ron Baird wrote:
Hi Rob,

Actually, Kodak has offered memory cards since very early on (in the
90's). So, the cards you are seeing currently are indeed of the
highest quality and should perform very well for you. If you have
any questions, about them or other Kodak media or camera issues,
let me know. Glad to help.

Note: "offered" not "made".
They could be from any manufacturer.

True.

However - I'd imagine Kodak have a pretty strict specification on
anything they buy in and badge....

I would imagine that as well - I wonder just how much testing and incoming
QC they actually do, though?

David

Old January 26th 05, 02:22 AM
jim leggett

Inspection ?? QC?? Testing??

Let me tell you about my Kodak moment:

I received a DX4900 as a Christmas present last year (2003) and the giver
also gave me the telephoto, wide angle and close-up lenses. This camera quit
working after 11 months (internal shutter stuck down - took only black
pictures). I bought a DX7440 on 11/11/04 so that I could keep using the same
accessory lenses. This just meant a new battery type, new memory card and a
new card reader.

On 11/21/04 the shutter button autofocus quit and it would only take blurry
pictures - the button started operating differently, there was no way to
partially depress it, if you touched it, it instantly took the picture. I
took it back to store and exchanged it on 11/22/04 - no hassle at all.

On 12/14/04 the SECOND DX7440 broke. The little orange plastic battery
latch/catch under the memory card/battery door broke in three pieces. I
called Kodak and complained and their best answer was send it to us and
it'll take several weeks to repair and return or go back to the store for
another one. I went to the store on 12/15/04 and got the THIRD DX7440. Again
no hassle from the store.

On 1/11/05 the THIRD camera broke - the little orange battery catch again.
I'd bet that if the autofocus button on the first DX7440 hadn't quit working
so soon, that the battery latch on it would have broken too. On both
latches, the cameras were just sitting in the camera bag for a day ot two -
not touched, moved, ANYTHING and I took them out, took some pictures and
opened the door to take out the memory card and was rewarded with small
orange bits. I don't have a picture of the first autofocus defect but I do
of the two broken catches and I still have the bits from the third camera.

No, I haven't called Kodak service this last time because the first time I
called they said they would refund my money for the camera. I said what
about the lenses, four memory cards, card reader, extra batteries, camera
bag, camera strap, etc. and they said not those items -they're not broke and
some of them aren't ours. Well, there's as much money in the accessories as
there was in the camera.

I've had a Nikon FG for more than 15 years and have used near 1000 rolls of
film in it and never had a problem. It's used 4 sets of betteries in that
time.

As of now, I'll use this Kodak until it breaks enough that it won't take
pictures any more then I'll buy ANY OTHER brand. I'll never buy another
thing that has the Kodak name on it - not even their film processing. I've
switched to Fuji film for the Nikon SRL. Kodak can keep ALL of their
garbage.

They may have great QC, great testing, but their design/reliability team
needs LOTS of work. Oh, yes, when I complained to their service group in an
e-mail after the third one broke, the person from India that replied gave me
a canned reply that offered to help guide me through the web site that would
tell me how much it WOULD COST ME to get the camera fixed. Riiggghhhhtttt, I
ran right out there and did that, you can bet.

Kodak has a design problem whether they believe it or not. You can believe
it's limited to the DX7440 if you want, it's your money.

Jim Leggett

PS the store was Circuit City and they did a GREAT JOB - never a complaint,
they just exchanged the cameras with no questions after I showed them the
defects and the broken bits.

Old January 26th 05, 09:01 AM
Denis Marier

I have had about the same experience with Fuji that you had with Kodak.
At the exception that my warranty was over by two months and the camera was
a low cost one. After several emails and chatting with Fuji I sent the
camera to their repair center and paid for the freight. After expediting
them for several weeks I learned that the repair cost was as close as to buy
a new one. I did not agreed with the repair cost and told them to keep the
camera. That took place last April 2004. Last week 14 January 2005 I got a
parcel from Purolator. It was from Fuji repair center returning the non
functioning camera with a writing estimate for the repair. On the estimate
it stated that if I wanted to camera repaired to return it with a
Cheque/money order payable Fuji Photo Film or my credit card number. I
contacted Fuji by phone and they replied with a canned statement that they
were following procedures?

ink.net...

Old January 26th 05, 09:12 AM
Ron Hunter

jim leggett wrote:
[...]

You certainly have had a rare series of unpleasant problems. I am on my
second Kodak digital camera and haven't had a moment's problem with
either of them. By coincidence, the one I use now is a DX6440, and it
works perfectly, and is a bit over a year old. Yours is the first post
I have seen here regarding problems with the battery latch. Perhaps
they got a bad batch of parts. Most of the stories of Kodak repair
service I have seen here reflect very quick turnarounds, and satisfied
users. I am glad that your dealer is so patient about your problems.
At least that makes the situation a bit more bearable.

--
Ron Hunter
Old January 26th 05, 06:18 PM
Paul H.

"Basic Wedge" wrote in message
I've started seeing memory cards with Kodak's name on them. Is this
something new, or have I just been missing it? Any experience with them?

Any
opinions on how they compare to other brands?

I've had several Kodak *brand* CF cards since 1998 or so, but who knows who
really makes them? Kodak probably gets them from several sources and then
slaps their label on them.

Storage devices which can use Memory Stick Pro memory cards [email protected] Digital Photography 0 January 17th 05 04:01 AM
memory cards Don B Digital Photography 5 January 8th 05 05:52 PM
Kodak CX7530 not transferring pics from internal memory Lisa Hetherington Digital Photography 3 January 5th 05 04:00 PM
Kodak EasyShare 4.0.2 vs. 3.2 Software - Feedback Wanted - DX 6490 Digital Cam Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com Digital Photography 29 December 20th 04 12:55 PM
* "Memory Stick" vs. "Memory Stick Pro" T-Narg Digital Photography 1 November 27th 04 09:01 PM