Can one flash do it all?

Old February 6th 04, 05:25 AM
Lunaray

Default Can one flash do it all?

Greetings group!

I have a Pentax 67II, and I just purchased a Nikon F4s 35mm, now I need to
look for a flash; is there any one flash available that will work equally
well with both cameras and still maintain all the bells & whistles?
Suggestions?

Thanks!
--
Ray
www.rayspace.com/gallery.html

Old February 6th 04, 03:26 PM
Matt Clara

"Lunaray" wrote in message
Greetings group!

I have a Pentax 67II, and I just purchased a Nikon F4s 35mm, now I need to
look for a flash; is there any one flash available that will work equally
well with both cameras and still maintain all the bells & whistles?
Suggestions?

Thanks!
--
Ray
www.rayspace.com/gallery.html

I'd look for a Nikon SB-24, SB-25, or SB-26. The 26 would be the most
powerful, and it and the SB-24 allow for rear-curtain sync with your F4--not
sure about the SB-25, but it's from the same era, so I wouldn't be surprised
if it did.

Old February 6th 04, 06:45 PM

Matt Clara wrote:
:
: "Lunaray" wrote in message
: ...
: Greetings group!
:
: I have a Pentax 67II, and I just purchased a Nikon F4s 35mm, now I need to
: look for a flash; is there any one flash available that will work equally
: well with both cameras and still maintain all the bells & whistles?
: Suggestions?
:
: Thanks!
: --
: Ray
: www.rayspace.com/gallery.html
:
:
: I'd look for a Nikon SB-24, SB-25, or SB-26. The 26 would be the most
: powerful, and it and the SB-24 allow for rear-curtain sync with your F4--not
: sure about the SB-25, but it's from the same era, so I wouldn't be surprised
: if it did.
:
:

I use an SB28 with my F100 and my C330s both, and it works fine with
both. No, I don't get electronic TTL with the C330s, so I won't claim
it maintains all the bells and whistles, but I do get good automatic
flash performance. I'd get the same with a Vivitar 285 on the C330s,
and it'd be a lot cheaper, but I'd lose all the bells and whistles
with the F100.

Mark.

--
Mark P. Nelson, Programmer/Analyst III
Department of Integrative Biology, Thomson Laboratory
Old February 6th 04, 06:55 PM
Drew Saunders

In article ,
"Lunaray" wrote:

Greetings group!

I have a Pentax 67II, and I just purchased a Nikon F4s 35mm, now I need to
look for a flash; is there any one flash available that will work equally
well with both cameras and still maintain all the bells & whistles?
Suggestions?

Thanks!

According to Metz,
http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electronics/adapter.143.html, the 67II
takes the SCA 372 adaptor, while the F4s takes the SCA 3402 adaptor.
Just get one of their flashes that takes both 300 and 3000 adaptors,
such as the 54 MZ, and both adaptors and you should be all set. That web
page lets you pick your camera/flash combo and see what adaptor to use
and features you get.

--
Drew W. Saunders

dru (at) stanford (dot) eee dee you
Old February 6th 04, 07:42 PM
Martin Francis

"Lunaray" wrote in message
Greetings group!

I have a Pentax 67II, and I just purchased a Nikon F4s 35mm, now I need to
look for a flash; is there any one flash available that will work equally
well with both cameras and still maintain all the bells & whistles?
Suggestions?

Metz 54 MZ-3- One Flash To Rule Them All, And In The Brightness Blind Them!

(ahem)

Or a 45 CL4 if you don't want fancy things like modelling preview and
minutely adjustable manual power output. You'll need the SCAs to match,
though- as someone else suggested, look at www.metz.de for further
information.

--
Here lies the late Martin Francis
He couldn't tell you the technical merits of Leitz and Zeiss

Old February 6th 04, 10:13 PM
Matt Clara

wrote in message
Matt Clara wrote:
:
: "Lunaray" wrote in message
: ...
: Greetings group!
:
[...]

Yes, my experience is with an SB-28 and now an SB-80dx on an RB67. They
work as well as the Metz 45 CL1 I bought to go with the RB, except the Metz
is a flashgun style, which is nice for that camera. I just today purchased
a left hand grip for the RB, though, and that has a hot shoe on its top, as
well as a shutter release trigger. Might see the Metz up at Ebay, one of
these days soon!

--
www.mattclara.com

Old February 7th 04, 02:22 AM
Matt Clara

"Martin Francis" m wrote in
message ...
"Lunaray" wrote in message
Greetings group!

I have a Pentax 67II, and I just purchased a Nikon F4s 35mm, now I need

look for a flash; is there any one flash available that will work

equally
well with both cameras and still maintain all the bells & whistles?
Suggestions?

Metz 54 MZ-3- One Flash To Rule Them All, And In The Brightness Blind

Them!

(ahem)

Or a 45 CL4 if you don't want fancy things like modelling preview and
minutely adjustable manual power output. You'll need the SCAs to match,
though- as someone else suggested, look at www.metz.de for further
information.

--
Here lies the late Martin Francis
He couldn't tell you the technical merits of Leitz and Zeiss
But he did take some photographs once.

I honestly think he'd be better served by a Nikon flash dedicated to the
F4s. In manual and automatic modes the Metz will have nothing on it except
more output, and the Nikon's have plenty of output--been shooting a couple
weddings every summer for years with them.

Additionally the Metz Flash costs $400 US, plus another $40 for the Pentax
adaptor, and then the flash, costing 30% more than a new Nikon flash, won't
allow for Rear Curtain sync. The flashes I mentioned are going for anywhere
from $100 to $250 (for the SB26) on Ebay. Provided the 67II has PC socket,
the only adaptor he needs there is a short PC cord.

--
www.mattclara.com

Old February 9th 04, 10:16 PM
Gordon Moat

Matt Clara wrote:
"Lunaray" wrote in message

Greetings group!

I have a Pentax 67II, and I just purchased a Nikon F4s 35mm, now I need to
look for a flash; is there any one flash available that will work equally
well with both cameras and still maintain all the bells & whistles?
Suggestions?

Thanks!
--
Ray
www.rayspace.com/gallery.html

I'd look for a Nikon SB-24, SB-25, or SB-26. The 26 would be the most
powerful, and it and the SB-24 allow for rear-curtain sync with your F4--not
sure about the SB-25, but it's from the same era, so I wouldn't be surprised
if it did.

The SB-25 will allow rear curtain sync with an F4. It just needs to be
set on the SB-25.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
Alliance Graphique Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old February 10th 04, 12:53 AM
DBob

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 19:42:03 +0000 (UTC), "Martin Francis"
m wrote:

"Lunaray" wrote in message
Greetings group!

I have a Pentax 67II, and I just purchased a Nikon F4s 35mm, now I need to
look for a flash; is there any one flash available that will work equally
well with both cameras and still maintain all the bells & whistles?
Suggestions?

Metz 54 MZ-3- One Flash To Rule Them All, And In The Brightness Blind Them!

(ahem)

Or a 45 CL4 if you don't want fancy things like modelling preview and
minutely adjustable manual power output. You'll need the SCAs to match,
though- as someone else suggested, look at www.metz.de for further
information.

How about a Quantum-X with a Norman 400B battery pack? There you have
the sensor in the flash head and and an adjustment ratio of 64:1 if
needed. With 400 W-S to work with you probably will. Add to that a
tele (15 degree) reflector and you can light up most anything from
anywhere. Or you can use bare bulb or bounce flash as needed. It
doesn't really look like a whole lot more than an SB-28 etc., as long
as they don't see the battery case.