Canon 1.4X telextender

Old May 4th 12, 02:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Max

Default Canon 1.4X telextender

Has anyone here used the Canon 1.4X telextender *with* the 70-300mm
zoom? The lens I refer to is this one:

http://tinyurl.com/67e3xrb

Max
Old May 4th 12, 04:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ian

"Max" wrote in message
eb.com...
Has anyone here used the Canon 1.4X telextender *with* the 70-300mm zoom?
The lens I refer to is this one:

http://tinyurl.com/67e3xrb

Max

Hello Max.

The Canon 1.4 extender is only compatible with a subset of Canon lenses. I
think the subset does not include the 70-300mm f4-5.6 lens.
Have a look at :
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...der_ef_1_4x_ii
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...Specifications

I _think_ there may be problems with the back of some lenses hitting the
front of the extender.

Regards, Ian.

Old May 4th 12, 08:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Max

On 5/4/2012 9:59 AM, Ian wrote:
wrote in message
eb.com...
Has anyone here used the Canon 1.4X telextender *with* the 70-300mm zoom?
The lens I refer to is this one:

http://tinyurl.com/67e3xrb

Max

Hello Max.

The Canon 1.4 extender is only compatible with a subset of Canon lenses. I
think the subset does not include the 70-300mm f4-5.6 lens.
Have a look at :
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...der_ef_1_4x_ii
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...Specifications

I _think_ there may be problems with the back of some lenses hitting the
front of the extender.

Regards, Ian.

Thank you for your reply.
I think you may be right.
Unfortunately, I will likely have to seek another solution for those
long telephoto shots that I like.

max
Old May 4th 12, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

On Fri, 04 May 2012 13:20:15 -0600, Max wrote:

On 5/4/2012 9:59 AM, Ian wrote:
wrote in message
eb.com...
Has anyone here used the Canon 1.4X telextender *with* the 70-300mm zoom?
The lens I refer to is this one:

http://tinyurl.com/67e3xrb

Max

Hello Max.

The Canon 1.4 extender is only compatible with a subset of Canon lenses. I
think the subset does not include the 70-300mm f4-5.6 lens.
Have a look at :
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...der_ef_1_4x_ii
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...Specifications

I _think_ there may be problems with the back of some lenses hitting the
front of the extender.

Regards, Ian.

Thank you for your reply.
I think you may be right.
Unfortunately, I will likely have to seek another solution for those
long telephoto shots that I like.

Look at the possibility of a Kenko or other third party TC which might
not have this limitation.
Old May 5th 12, 02:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Max wrote:
Has anyone here used the Canon 1.4X telextender *with* the 70-300mm
zoom? The lens I refer to is this one:

http://tinyurl.com/67e3xrb

This zoom lens is probably not good enough to give you
quality with an extender. You should use a very high quality
zoom lens or a fixed focal length lens for an extender.

Additionally, most cameras won't autofocus with this lens and
an extender, as with a 1.4x extender the effective aperture
at 300mm is f/8.

You could try:
- Canon's 400mm f/5.6 lens
- Canon's 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 lens
- Canon's 300mm f/4 lens with an 1.4x extender
each reaching ca. 400mm and f/5.6, but each solution is way
more costly than just the extender.

You could also look for third-party lenses (but check first
if they're good) ... there are some offers for -400mm and even
-500mm zooms.

Then there's the mirror lens, cheap, but terrible bokeh.

-Wolfgang
Old May 5th 12, 03:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Max

On 5/4/2012 7:40 PM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I'll be exploring all "reasonably" priced options.

Max
Old May 5th 12, 04:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
charles

On Thu, 03 May 2012 19:58:02 -0600, Max wrote:

Has anyone here used the Canon 1.4X telextender *with* the 70-300mm
zoom? The lens I refer to is this one:

http://tinyurl.com/67e3xrb

Max

with the sigma 70-300 the outer portions of the units are about 1/2
inch apart when the inner parts contact. I'd never thought to try it
before.