space

Old March 21st 12, 08:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default space

On 2012-03-21 08:47 , Val Hallah wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ies-image.html

Nice stuff. Mind boggling.

However, these galaxies at the edge of the universe are (now, not when
the light left them) in a part of space traveling away from us faster
than the speed of light. Eventually the last photons will reach us and
those galaxies won't be seen by humans ever again.

(This will take a while however, so don't make popcorn for viewing...)

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old March 22nd 12, 04:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

On Mar 21, 8:53*pm, Alan Browne
On 2012-03-21 08:47 , Val Hallah wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ESOs-Vista-tel...

Nice stuff. *Mind boggling.

However, these galaxies at the edge of the universe are (now, not when
the light left them) in a part of space traveling away from us faster
than the speed of light.

I don;t think that is true as nothing travles faster than light.
(well other than the wierd nurtrino result which I put down to an
error)

So did they; they finally tracked it down to a loose cable on a GPS unit
(which was being used as their time base too). Even the initial
announcement was clearly "we have these anomalous results we can't
explain, but we don't believe them, please help us figure out what's
wrong", not "OMG! FTL!".
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old March 23rd 12, 06:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 3/22/12 PDT 6:47 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Mar 21, 8:53 pm, Alan

However, these galaxies at the edge of the universe are (now, not when
the light left them) in a part of space traveling away from us faster
than the speed of light.

I don;t think that is true as nothing travles faster than light.
(well other than the wierd nurtrino result which I put down to an
error)

Well, nothing we know of so far is faster than light.... But there are a
few things we don't know....
Old March 23rd 12, 06:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
charles

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 06:47:55 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave

On Mar 21, 8:53*pm, Alan Browne
On 2012-03-21 08:47 , Val Hallah wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ESOs-Vista-tel...

Nice stuff. *Mind boggling.

However, these galaxies at the edge of the universe are (now, not when
the light left them) in a part of space traveling away from us faster
than the speed of light.

I don;t think that is true as nothing travles faster than light.
(well other than the wierd nurtrino result which I put down to an
error)

*Eventually the last photons will reach us and
those galaxies won't be seen by humans ever again.

Tghose galaxies and other will all die out eventually, they won;t be
creating any 'light'
(or very little) of their own.

(This will take a while however, so don't make popcorn for viewing...)

and the fizz will be gone from your cola too ;-)

* I said I didn't know."
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *-Samuel Clemens.

My understanding is that nothing can travel through space faster than
light, but that space itself can expand faster than lightspeed.
Old March 23rd 12, 08:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

On 23/03/2012 7:58 p.m., charles wrote:
On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 06:47:55 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave

On Mar 21, 8:53 pm, Alan
wrote:
On 2012-03-21 08:47 , Val Hallah wrote:

[...]

So if something is traveling at 51% of the speed of light in one
direction, and we are traveling at 51% the speed of light in the other
direction...

Nikon D3 from space - Aurora Australis Observed from the International Space Station David J Taylor[_16_] Digital Photography 1 June 23rd 10 12:43 PM
Get Your Space on Pishnut Space For Free and Send Free Ecards Ariella Lyn Digital Photography 1 September 7th 07 09:28 PM
Space Dog! Jer Digital Photography 16 December 8th 04 07:12 PM
Space Dog! MarkČ 35mm Photo Equipment 11 December 8th 04 07:12 PM
Space Dog! Jer 35mm Photo Equipment 0 December 2nd 04 05:55 AM