Photographing eyeballs.

Old September 5th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

Default Photographing eyeballs.

Anybody ever took a photo of the
interior of the eye?
Old September 5th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Helen

"irwell" wrote in message
Anybody ever took a photo of the
interior of the eye?

Yep.
Owner was dead.
H.
(Med photographer at one time)

Old September 5th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
salgud

irwell wrote:
Anybody ever took a photo of the
interior of the eye?

Yes, but the guy whose eye I cut open was really ****ed about it when
he woke up!

Old September 5th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown

irwell wrote:

Anybody ever took a photo of the
interior of the eye?

It is almost a routine check these days for glaucoma suffers or people
at risk and over 40. Many opticians have suitable kit for this. I think
mostly made by Nikon.

Obviously they only image the retina (which is the active sensor part
at high risk).

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old September 5th 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gautam Majumdar

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 18:54:26 +0100, irwell wrote:

Anybody ever took a photo of the
interior of the eye?

Ophthalmologists do it every day.
See here http://webvision.med.utah.edu/sretina.html
or do a google image search for retina

--

Gautam Majumdar

Please send e-mails to
Old September 5th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
tomm42

irwell wrote:
Anybody ever took a photo of the
interior of the eye?

Do it every day why?

Tom

Old September 5th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
tomm42

Martin Brown wrote:
irwell wrote:

Anybody ever took a photo of the
interior of the eye?

It is almost a routine check these days for glaucoma suffers or people
at risk and over 40. Many opticians have suitable kit for this. I think
mostly made by Nikon.

Obviously they only image the retina (which is the active sensor part
at high risk).

Regards,
Martin Brown

Actually Nikon is out of the business. My equipment is Canon and Zeiss,
software by a specialty company, camera back an industrial 5mp. Other
manufacturers are Topcon and Kowa, Olympus outside the US.

Tom

Old September 5th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George K

The ophthalmogist see different patients every day and they want to
record the state of the patient's retina for caparison at a later date
to see if there is improvement in the patients condition or not. Much
like a dentist keep x-rays of your mouth take at different times. You
may see him only look at the current, but sometimes they look at before
and after images to evaluate the progress that has been made.

Old September 6th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
tomm42

Let me be a little more specific, I have been photographing retinas and
photographing other aspects of ophthalmology for 30 years. Since the
question is about retinal photography here it is in a nutshell.
The retina is photographed mostly by a camera with a very complex
optical design. What has to be done is creating the image and
illuminating the image theough the same aperture, the dilated pupil,
without refections, or stray light in the image.This is done by placing
a ring of light on the outside edge of the pupil and using the area
inside the to send the image back to the sensor, film or digital (about
70 % digital now). We photograph both passive and active tests.
We do these images for
1) documentation of a condition
2) to give the MD a guide for laser treatment of the retina

Beside glaucoma this test is done for diseases such as diabetes,
macular degeneration, high blood pressure, ms and other systemic
diseases.

If you have any other questions just ask.

Tom

Old September 6th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ColinD

irwell wrote:
Anybody ever took a photo of the
interior of the eye?

Yes. I am a borderline diabetic and the hospital takes annual shots of
my retinas to check for any problems - none so far, thank god.

But, they use a digital camera system with an absolutely humungus flash
that almost incinerated my eye. The first time, I reeled back and said
'Jesus H Christ, what the f*** was that for?' The operator was a bit
shocked at my reaction, so I invited him to sit where I was and I would
give him a dose to see what he thought. I told him I was a
photographer, and that amount of flash was enough to light up the bloody
City Hall, let alone an eyeball. I'd already had atropine drops to
enlarge the iris, and I was literally blind for some time after the flash.

Next time I must ask him whether the flash is filtered for UV and IR,
both of which could cause permanent damage. They use high-power flash
to kill hair follicles, so what will it do to your retina, I ask?

Colin D.