Photoshop CS 16-bit image limitations

Old September 17th 04, 05:39 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

Default Photoshop CS 16-bit image limitations

Now that Photoshop supports 16-bit adjustment layers, I've been
working in 16 bits a lot more -- and am discovering various other
limitations.

For one thing, the histogram display remains small and low-resolution.
(Reindeer Graphics has a free "wide histogram" plugin that will give
you a 1024-position histogram at
http://www.reindeergraphics.com/free.shtml).

For another, in the Color Picker, at least when entering RGB colors
numerically, you can only enter values from 0 to 255. I don't know if
this means that sampled colors (eyedropper) are snapped to that as
well; I think it'd have to since that's all that can be displayed in
the color picker.

I started this to check a rumor that photoshop only really supported
15 bits per channel -- that a 16-bit file would actually get reduced
to 15. Wasn't able to carry through my test on that, since I couldn't
reliably enter and display 16-bit colors numerically.
Old September 17th 04, 07:05 PM
Bart van der Wolf

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message
SNIP
I started this to check a rumor that photoshop only really
supported 15 bits per channel -- that a 16-bit file would
actually get reduced to 15.

It's no rumor, you can see it in the info panel (can be switched to
16-bit number display and won't exceed 32768, or 2^15+1), and it's
been discussed by Chris Cox (one of the programmers) in newsgroups.

Bart

Old September 18th 04, 01:31 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

"Bart van der Wolf" writes:

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message
SNIP
I started this to check a rumor that photoshop only really
supported 15 bits per channel -- that a 16-bit file would
actually get reduced to 15.

It's no rumor, you can see it in the info panel (can be switched to
16-bit number display and won't exceed 32768, or 2^15+1), and it's
been discussed by Chris Cox (one of the programmers) in newsgroups.

Well, Chris should know! Thanks.

Didn't think of looking at the "info" panel; you say it can be
switched to 16-bit display? How?

Old September 18th 04, 11:28 AM
Bart van der Wolf

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message
SNIP
Didn't think of looking at the "info" panel; you say it
can be switched to 16-bit display? How?

Open an image, make sure it is in 16-b/ch mode.
Select the Info panel, and select its options (top right circular
arrow button), choose Palette Options..., and tick the box in front of
"Show 16 bit values".

Bart