Acufine Acu-1 substitute

Old April 5th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
piterengel

Default Acufine Acu-1 substitute

Hello, because it is quite difficult to find Acu-1 developer, is there
a subsitute with analogue characteristics? Microdol for example? I
would like to use it with MACO IR film, to obtain less grain than the
one I have normally with HC-110. Thanks.
Old April 6th 08, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"piterengel" wrote in message
Hello, because it is quite difficult to find Acu-1
developer, is there
a subsitute with analogue characteristics? Microdol for
example? I
would like to use it with MACO IR film, to obtain less
grain than the
one I have normally with HC-110. Thanks.

I don't know what is in Acufine. Microdol-X and Ilford
Perceptol are identical. They use common salt as the fine
grain agent in a low activity Metol developer. Both yield
finer grain than standard developers when used full strength
at the cost of about a stop of speed. I have started to use
Perceptol as my standard for 35mm 100T-Max, the grain being
comparable to the late, lamented, Kodak Technical Pan in
Technidol. I have no idea of how well it would work for the
Maco film but its worth a try. I doubt if any practical
developer will give you finer grain.
When diluted the extra-fine-grain property is lost. At
1:3 either developer will deliver full film speed and about
the same grain as D-76 but with significant acutance
effects.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old April 6th 08, 08:20 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
jch

piterengel wrote:
Hello, because it is quite difficult to find Acu-1 developer, is there
a subsitute with analogue characteristics? Microdol for example? I
would like to use it with MACO IR film, to obtain less grain than the
one I have normally with HC-110. Thanks.

_____
In an old booklet by ZONE V Inc. on page 25 is an Acufine substitute:

Water at 125F 2-1/2 cups 500 ml
Sodium sulphite 2 TBSP + 1 tsp 53 g
Hydroquinone 1-1/2 tsp 4.5 g
Sodium carbonate 1/4 tsp + 1/8 tsp 2.3 g
Borax 1/2 tsp 2.5 g
Potassium bromide 1/8 tsp 10 ml of a 10 wt% solution
Phenidone 1/8 tsp 0.25 g or 125 ml concentrate
Water to make 1 liter

Below the formula it says: "Phenidone in this formula gives a boost to
shadow detail. Development time for roll film at 68F is 2-1/4 to 5-1/4
minutes."

The phenidone concentrate:
Water at 125F 3 cups
Sodium bisulphite 1 tsp
Phenidone 1 tsp
Water to make 1 liter

125 ml or 4 oz contain 0.25 g or 1/8 tsp of phenidone

The sodium sulphite is necessary to help the phenidone dissolve properly.

I don't like using tsp and TBSP volume measures. As well, i have
provided the mass equivalents of the various component's tsp and TBSP
volumes. The conversions to grams were given in the ZONE V booklet.

I have used this formula on 35 mm film with good results. I am not
familiar with MACO IR film. The Acufine substitute formula is worth a
try. Let us know how it works.
--
Regards / JCH
Old April 17th 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
jch

jch wrote:
piterengel wrote:
Hello, because it is quite difficult to find Acu-1 developer, is
there a substitute with analogue characteristics? Microdol for
example? I would like to use it with MACO IR film, to obtain less
grain than the one I have normally with HC-110. Thanks.

_____
In an old booklet by ZONE V Inc. on page 25 is an Acufine substitute:

Since there is no copyright mentioned in the ZONE V Inc. booklet i have
scanned it, and converted it to LaTeX. I compiled it to PostScript and
PDF files. There are some very useful formulas and advice in the
booklet. I suppose that this small document came with a kit full of
photographic chemicals at one time. You will find these two files at
http://24.108.145.235/photography/

There is also an HTML version at
http://24.108.145.235/photography/zone_v/index.html

The web server will remain on-line for about one month.

--
Regards / JCH
Old April 17th 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
jjs

"jch" wrote in message

Since there is no copyright mentioned in the ZONE V Inc. booklet

Is it THAT old? Must be 'cause it's before Zone VI.

Anywho, somebody's going to suggest that maybe it doesn't need a copyright
statement to be copywrighted. Me, I'll just take your site down. Right now.
But I'll let it go Real Soon Now.

Old April 18th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
jjs

"jch" wrote in message
> [...]

Since there is no copyright mentioned in the ZONE V Inc. booklet [...] you
will find these two files at http://24.108.145.235/photography/

You are rather optimisitc thinking you will have the same ip address via
cable and be up all the time. Now let's check that copyright situation.

Old April 18th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
jch

jjs wrote:
"jch" wrote in message

Since there is no copyright mentioned in the ZONE V Inc. booklet [...] you
will find these two files at http://24.108.145.235/photography/

You are rather optimistic thinking you will have the same ip address via
cable and be up all the time.

_____
Always an optimist, me! IP address not a problem.

Now let's check that copyright situation.
_____
Sure. Let me know what you find out. The Zone V, Inc. material is
pretty much public domain knowledge. Have a look at the old PHOTO LAB
INDEX by E.M. Pittaro, published by Morgan & Morgan, Inc. Many of the
same developer formulas are found in that book as well. I performed a
search on the net, but could not turn up anything about Zone V, Inc.

Also, i asked this group some time ago if someone could determine where
to find the Dignan Family in California. I wanted to post a scanned PDF
copy of the Dignan Black-and-White formula book and the Colour Formula
Book if i could get permission. No one ever came forward. Perhaps
Richard Knoppow could help? He lives in California.

I only did some test scans to see what the final file size would be.
Rather large i am afraid to say. I never did complete the scanning of
the formula book.
--
Regards / JCH
Old April 18th 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
jjs

"jch" wrote in message
jjs wrote:

Now let's check that copyright situation.
_____
Sure. Let me know what you find out. The Zone V, Inc. material is pretty
much public domain knowledge. Have a look at the old PHOTO LAB INDEX by
E.M. Pittaro, published by Morgan & Morgan, Inc. Many of the same
developer formulas are found in that book as well. I performed a search
on the net, but could not turn up anything about Zone V, Inc.

I am not sure that copyright is strictly concerned with individual formulas
in the book. But I admit I am no expert.

Also, i asked this group some time ago if someone could determine where to
find the Dignan Family in California. I wanted to post a scanned PDF copy
of the Dignan Black-and-White formula book and the Colour Formula Book if
i could get permission. No one ever came forward.

Gosh, well I hope you don't come across my work and think that polling
usenet is the way to try and contact me and then decide that if nobody knows
me, then the material is free to copy.

Take Care,
jjs

Acufine, again. Lew In The Darkroom 12 January 21st 06 10:09 AM
Acu-1 and Acufine With the T and D Films? [email protected] In The Darkroom 4 December 8th 05 07:33 PM
Acufine and Tri-X G. Edward Marti In The Darkroom 38 September 1st 04 01:52 PM
Acufine--what is it good for? David Nebenzahl In The Darkroom 11 June 14th 04 10:51 PM
Ethol's, UFG, LPD, Acufine, and Diafine TheYankeeSnapper In The Darkroom 12 March 29th 04 02:24 PM