Another MF scanner question!! Nikon 8000 vs. 9000 and B&W film

Old July 2nd 04, 06:20 PM
Q.G. de Bakker

Default Another MF scanner question!! Nikon 8000 vs. 9000 and B&W film

Jos. Burke wrote:

[...] Are
the Nikon scanners capable of scanning B&W film--I seem to remember

reading
either here or elsewhere that the 8000 can not!1 Is this true?

They, of course, can indeed scan all types of film, including B&W.

Some very thick emulsion films are a bit too much for the automatic dust
removal feature.

Old July 2nd 04, 06:39 PM
Bill Hilton

From: "Jos. Burke"

Are the Nikon scanners capable of scanning B&W film--I seem to
remember reading either here or elsewhere that the 8000 can not!

My 8000 scans T-Max fine with digital ICE turned off. Probably the same story
with the 9000 ...

Old July 2nd 04, 06:44 PM
Jos. Burke

Alrighty---I'll post another MF scanner question. I have an Epson 2450, so
lets let even compare the Nikon 8000/9000 to the Epson 2450 thru current
4870 version. Please! The 2450 is okay BUT it's no Nikon film scanner!! Are
the Nikon scanners capable of scanning B&W film--I seem to remember reading
either here or elsewhere that the 8000 can not!1 Is this true? If not then
can the 9000. I'm interested in the approx $1300 (currently) Nikon 8000 BUT
I have and shoot quite a bit of B&W 120 film. Not sure if the addition $700
for the 9000 model is a worthwhile step -up for me!
J Burke

Old July 2nd 04, 07:13 PM
jjs

"Jos. Burke" wrote in message
Alrighty---I'll post another MF scanner question. I have an Epson 2450, so
lets let even compare the Nikon 8000/9000 to the Epson 2450 thru current
4870 version. Please! The 2450 is okay BUT it's no Nikon film scanner!!

Are
the Nikon scanners capable of scanning B&W film--I seem to remember

reading
either here or elsewhere that the 8000 can not!1 Is this true? If not then
can the 9000. I'm interested in the approx $1300 (currently) Nikon 8000

BUT
I have and shoot quite a bit of B&W 120 film. Not sure if the addition

$700
for the 9000 model is a worthwhile step -up for me!

Of course it can do B&W. B&W is color without hue.

Old July 2nd 04, 07:45 PM
Q.G. de Bakker

jjs wrote:

Of course it can do B&W. B&W is color without hue.

And with metallic silver instead of dyes. ;-)

Old July 3rd 04, 01:36 AM
-

Both scanners can *scan* black and white film just fine. What neither
scanner can do is to utilize the ICE scratch/defect removal function on
traditional (silver based) black and white film. The ICE function will work
on the newer C41 style black and white as well as color emulsions. The
9000's ICE Pro is supposed to also work on Kodachrome (the 8000's ICE was
not rated for Kodachrome although some people report that it actually works
well enough in their opinion).

Doug
--
Doug's "MF Film Holder" for batch scanning "strips" of 120/220 medium format
film:

Old July 3rd 04, 05:25 AM
Raphael Bustin

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 12:44:02 -0500, "Jos. Burke"
wrote:

Alrighty---I'll post another MF scanner question. I have an Epson 2450, so
lets let even compare the Nikon 8000/9000 to the Epson 2450 thru current
4870 version. Please! The 2450 is okay BUT it's no Nikon film scanner!! Are
the Nikon scanners capable of scanning B&W film--I seem to remember reading
either here or elsewhere that the 8000 can not!1 Is this true? If not then
can the 9000. I'm interested in the approx $1300 (currently) Nikon 8000 BUT
I have and shoot quite a bit of B&W 120 film. Not sure if the addition $700
for the 9000 model is a worthwhile step -up for me!
J Burke

Either one will scan BW just fine.

You just can't use ICE with silver-based BW films.

You can use ICE with chromogenic BW films.

Kodachrome w/ICE is no good on the 8000,
and supposedly works better on th 9000.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Old July 3rd 04, 01:51 PM
Bill Hilton

Default Nikon 8000 and Mac OS X 10.3 Compatability.

From: "Jos. Burke"

The 8000 seems a great choice but I also use the current Mac 10.3 OS.
Any known compatability problems from users here!!
Thanks and I really appreciate the insight from all posters.

http://www.nikontechusa.com/ ... a valuable source of drivers and updates ...
just skimming it (I don't use a Mac) I see this blurb on the FAQ from May
...."Nikon has confirmed compatibility with Nikon Scan 4.0.1 under Mac OS 10.3."

So you'll probably have to update the driver software if you're buying used.

Bill

Old July 3rd 04, 05:58 PM
billfrogg

In article , Bill Hilton

From: "Jos. Burke"

The 8000 seems a great choice but I also use the current Mac 10.3 OS.
Any known compatability problems from users here!!
Thanks and I really appreciate the insight from all posters.

http://www.nikontechusa.com/ ... a valuable source of drivers and updates ...
just skimming it (I don't use a Mac) I see this blurb on the FAQ from May
..."Nikon has confirmed compatibility with Nikon Scan 4.0.1 under Mac OS
10.3."

So you'll probably have to update the driver software if you're buying used.

Bill

Should you not be pleased with the Nikon software you might go to
hamrick and download Vuescan. I've used their software with both my old
agfa flatbed scanner and my new nikon film scanner. First rate!
billfrogg