Remote firing of studio flash

Old November 20th 04, 08:50 PM
Graham Russell

Default Remote firing of studio flash

Hi,

I'm fed up with dodgy sync leads and have decided to get a wireless system.
I'm using an EOS 1D mk2. I've heard about infra-red systems that fire flash
heads via their remote sync capability and therefore not needing a slave
device plugged into the flash head. I'm also considering a radio based
system such as Pocketwizard which uses a master and slave device.

Any thoughts, recommendations and general feedback would be great.

Thanks,

Graham.

------------------------------
Graham Russell Photography - www.grahamrussell.info
ProSporPhotos - www.prosportphotos.com

Old November 20th 04, 10:30 PM
YAG-ART

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 20:50:30 -0000, "Graham Russell"
wrote:

Hi,

I'm fed up with dodgy sync leads and have decided to get a wireless system.
I'm using an EOS 1D mk2. I've heard about infra-red systems that fire flash
heads via their remote sync capability and therefore not needing a slave
device plugged into the flash head. I'm also considering a radio based
system such as Pocketwizard which uses a master and slave device.

I would suggest the Pocket Wizard system. If your cheap (like me) the
Plus is fine, otherwise the MultiMax is much better (they are all
Pocket Wizards)
Old November 21st 04, 12:00 AM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Graham
Russell wrote:

I'm fed up with dodgy sync leads and have decided to get a wireless system.
I'm using an EOS 1D mk2. I've heard about infra-red systems that fire flash
heads via their remote sync capability and therefore not needing a slave
device plugged into the flash head. I'm also considering a radio based
system such as Pocketwizard which uses a master and slave device.

Having used both, you'll find that radio is more reliable. I used IR
in the studio for many years with no problems, but radio is just so
much better.
Old November 21st 04, 01:09 AM
Crownfield

wrote:

Hi,

I'm fed up with dodgy sync leads and have decided to get a wireless system.
I'm using an EOS 1D mk2. I've heard about infra-red systems that fire flash
heads via their remote sync capability and therefore not needing a slave
device plugged into the flash head. I'm also considering a radio based
system such as Pocketwizard which uses a master and slave device.

I would suggest the Pocket Wizard system. If your cheap (like me) the
Plus is fine, otherwise the MultiMax is much better (they are all
Pocket Wizards)

PW works very well. range can be 1,000 feet.
once you use it, you will never like a sync cord again.
much better to be wireless.

Old November 21st 04, 11:47 AM
Lourens Smak

"Graham Russell" wrote:

Hi,

I'm fed up with dodgy sync leads and have decided to get a wireless system.
I'm using an EOS 1D mk2. I've heard about infra-red systems that fire flash
heads via their remote sync capability and therefore not needing a slave
device plugged into the flash head. I'm also considering a radio based
system such as Pocketwizard which uses a master and slave device.

Any thoughts, recommendations and general feedback would be great.

I have had IR systems go crazy with some alarm systems in buildings...
not practical if you always use the IR and have a spare transmitter but
no ordinary flashcable with you...

now I use a cheap radio system I found on ebay, cost me $40 or so. Cheap
enough to simply try out, it works great. I even got a chance to test
the range a bit, when my lights were inside a building and I had to take
an exterior shot too. Cool...firing a flash that is inside a building,
from 100 feet away. The transmitter is super-small and light. It's no
pocketwizard but for 1/10th of the price I don't really care. (and the
pocketwizard transmitter seems too large...)

look for "radio slave" or so and you'll find lots of things.

Lourens

Old November 22nd 04, 06:46 AM
zeitgeist

I'm fed up with dodgy sync leads and have decided to get a wireless

system.
I'm using an EOS 1D mk2. I've heard about infra-red systems that fire

flash
heads via their remote sync capability and therefore not needing a slave
device plugged into the flash head. I'm also considering a radio based
system such as Pocketwizard which uses a master and slave device.

you might want to look into Pocket Wizard, in fact read your manual, I
understand the latest digital cameras are coming out with it built in, as do
some hi end flash gear like Norman Monolights. I can upgrade my Kodak
slr/n to have it built in. so see if you have it already.

IR is a pain in bright light situations, in large rooms like gyms and many
banquet halls. I tried it for awhile, but moved to radio links.

Old December 5th 04, 07:52 PM
Daniel

Pocket Wizard - Radio Transmitters. The pocket wizard Plus is a 4
channel, transmitter, it can control a total of 16 recievers. it has
several cords for most studio and portable flash units (Speedotron,
Broncolor, Profoto, Nikon SB-800, Canon 550EX etc). this can also be
triggered with a transmitter from Sekonic l-358, L-558, L-608 light
meters, for your studio exposures. The pocket Wizard is a perfect
answer to your needs.

Daniel Flocke
Dodd Camera & Video
www.doddcamera.com