Your flash can damage your camera!

Old October 18th 04, 06:36 PM
me

Default Your flash can damage your camera!

When I found out that some flash units use very high trigger voltages,
several hundred volts in some cases, I was very displeased. Not that this
presents any problem for me right now but it might in the future. I
purchased my camera and flash in 1978 and both look and work like new. But
if I buy a new camera body I might not be able to use my flash with it. The
reason for this is that many newer camera bodies have flash trigger circuits
that can tolerate no more than a few volts without burning out. Six volts
seems to be the maximum average flash trigger voltage that most current
camera bodies can tolerate.
You can blame either the flash manufacturers or the camera body
manufacturers for this sorry state of affairs, flip a coin and make your
choice but in either case you should visit this site:
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html for a list of flash trigger
voltages before you use your flash with a new camera. If you don't find
your flash's trigger voltage listed then look he
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/g1strobe.html for an explanation of how to
measure it yourself.
If you are using (or want to use) any flash that has not been recommended by
the camera body manufacturer as compatible then you should contact them and
confirm that the flash you're using (or want to use) will not damage your
camera. They should be able to tell you the maximum flash trigger voltage
your camera can tolerate.

Old October 18th 04, 06:59 PM
me

"Jeremy" wrote in message
k.net...
Advertising his web site under the guise of posting a helpful article.

you should visit this site:
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html for a list of flash

trigger
voltages before you use your flash with a new camera.

Would you rather I steal the information and post it in my message? Did you
visit the page? The title of the page is "Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages".
You can read can't you? You have to scroll down quite a way to see it. You
can scroll can't you?

Old October 18th 04, 07:50 PM
Alan Browne

me wrote:

You can blame either the flash manufacturers or the camera body
manufacturers for this sorry state of affairs, flip a coin and make your
choice but in either case you should visit this site:
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html for a list of flash trigger
voltages before you use your flash with a new camera.

Thanks for posting that. I had lost the link. Further, I added three new data
points to the list.

Cheers,
Alan

Old October 18th 04, 07:58 PM
me

"me" wrote in message
[...]

I left out that the trigger voltage of my Sunpak Auto 411 is 192 volts.
This could be more than enough to fry the flash trigger circuit of some
newer cameras.

Old October 18th 04, 10:39 PM
Chris Loffredo

Jeremy wrote:

Advertising his web site under the guise of posting a helpful article.

you should visit this site:
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html for a list of flash

trigger

voltages before you use your flash with a new camera.

How exactly is that a troll?????
It is useful and I would have posted it myself in another thread!