Merry Christmas

Old December 25th 13, 03:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

Default Merry Christmas

On 12/25/2013 9:34 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 11:08:44 +0000, David Taylor
wrote:
: On 25/12/2013 00:16, Alan Browne wrote:
:
: Cheers all! Safe and Happy Holidays and a Healthy 2014.
:
: Alan
:
: .. and to you and yours, Alan, and thanks for your helpful contributions
: to the group To everyone, Happy Holidays!

This year it's pretty much just "Merry Christmas". We usually say "Happy
Holidays", so as to include our Jewish friends, whose observance of Hanukkah
often falls in the Christmas season. But this year Hanukkah came so early that
it coincided with the U.S. "Thanksgiving" celebration, resulting in that
rarest of holidays, "Thanksgivukkah". :^)

What about Kwanzaa.

--
PeterN
Old December 25th 13, 05:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark Storkamp[_2_]

wrote:
: On 25/12/2013 00:16, Alan Browne wrote:
:
: Cheers all! Safe and Happy Holidays and a Healthy 2014.
:
: Alan
:
: .. and to you and yours, Alan, and thanks for your helpful contributions
: to the group To everyone, Happy Holidays!

This year it's pretty much just "Merry Christmas". We usually say "Happy
Holidays", so as to include our Jewish friends, whose observance of
Hanukkah
often falls in the Christmas season. But this year Hanukkah came so early
that
it coincided with the U.S. "Thanksgiving" celebration, resulting in that
rarest of holidays, "Thanksgivukkah". :^)

What about Kwanzaa.

What about it? If you celebrate it, feel free to wish people a happy
one. I'm sure no one will be offended.

Merry Christmas.
Old December 25th 13, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 12/25/13 1:27 AM, in article ,
"Robert Coe" wrote:

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 22:52:45 -0500, "J. Clarke" wrote:
: In article 2013122418340062173-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom,
:
says...
:
: On 2013-12-25 01:58:55 +0000, PeterN said:
:
: On 12/24/2013 8:35 PM, Savageduck wrote:
: On 2013-12-25 01:24:33 +0000, PeterN
said:
:
: On 12/24/2013 7:16 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
:
: Cheers all! Safe and Happy Holidays and a Healthy 2014.
:
: Alan
:
: Thank you, Alan.
: I echo your wishes.
:
: Here are two options:
:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...e/badsanta.jpg
:
: ...and to cover all eventualities:
: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...everything.jpg
:
: You and I have different beliefs. You will be much better off if I am
: wrong, than if you are wrong.
: Safe holidays, whatever you believe.
:
: I don't play the fire insurance game.
: Just chill and enjoy the show.
:
: Personally I don't believe in much of anything, but this is something
: I'll never forget:
:
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFUx_KC1bHQ

Neither will I, and neither, I suppose, will anyone old enough to remember
that event. The Flat-Earthers tried to claim that it was all a fake - that
what NASA was feeding the networks was a video of one of the mockups of the
Moon's surface that they used for astronaut training. But a few years later I
spent several months in Huntsville working for a software developer on a NASA
contract, and I spent a lot of time hanging out in the very room with one of
those mockups. Believe me, it wasn't convincing enough to have fooled anybody
with a moderately decent knowledge of planetary astronomy.

Possibly the next international event with as great an emotional impact also
happened shortly before Christmas: the fall of the Berlin Wall. We watched on
TV as young Germans armed with pickaxes and bottles of wine swarmed onto the
wall and began to chisel it into rubble. Earlier in the day, during a session
of the West German parliament, a messenger had walked to the podium and handed
the speaker a note. He stopped to read it and then told the hall that the East
German Government had announced that it would no longer enforce the border
between East and West Berlin. After a few seconds of stunned silence, one of
the parliamentarians rose to his feet and began to sing the (West) German
national anthem. Immediately everyone in the hall was on their feet and
singing. I wish I'd been in that hall with a camera in my hand. :^)

Bob

Two great moments in our lifetime. Thanks for the remembrance, Bob!

Old December 25th 13, 06:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 12/25/2013 11:53 AM, Mark Storkamp wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I do not, but their belief is as valuable to them, as your beliefs are
to you.
Healthy holidays.

--
PeterN
Old December 25th 13, 08:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael[_6_]

On 2013-12-25 16:57:06 +0000, George Kerby said:

said:
:
[...]

And that night in 1969 listening on the radio to those goosebumpling
words: "Houston. This is Tranquillity Base. The Eagle has landed."

--
Michael

Old December 26th 13, 04:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 12/25/13 1:46 PM, in article 2013122514464582699-adunc79617@mypacksnet,

On 2013-12-25 16:57:06 +0000, George Kerby said:

said:
:
[...]

Yessir. Everyone old enough to remember it remembers exactly where they were
at that moment. Myself, I was at a Blood, Sweat & Tears concert in
Houston...