Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm zoom lens can't go macro

Old December 8th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Default Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm zoom lens can't go macro

I bought this lens awhile ago and was able to get it into macro mode,
but i let is sit for a couple of years and i am now pulling my hair out
because i cant remember how to get it back to macro mode.
So could someone please give me some pointers on this?

heres a pic of the lens btw
http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1010077hr1.jpg

thank you!

Old December 9th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Brace

wrote in message
ps.com...
I bought this lens awhile ago and was able to get it into macro mode,
but i let is sit for a couple of years and i am now pulling my hair out
because i cant remember how to get it back to macro mode.
So could someone please give me some pointers on this?

heres a pic of the lens btw
http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1010077hr1.jpg

thank you!

As I recall (been a long long time!) mount the lens on the camera.
Hold with the camera body away from you and the 67mm end towards you (as if
you were going to take a picture of yourself).
Grasp the two "ears" or "bumps" at the 9:00 and 3:00 o'clock position on the
lens barrel (at least one has a button in the centre of it) and squeeze them
(thus pressing the button) together.
While squeezing them rotate the "ears" clockwise (thus rotating the lens
barrel clockwise) so the yellow index line on the barrel lines up with the
index dot on the lens mount.
You are now in close focus or "macro" mode.
Hope that helps.
Bob

Old December 9th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Robert Brace wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

thanks for the fast response, I was doing it completely wrong, but the
thing still won't budge. I unscrewed the tab with the white release
button on it, and it seems to be doing it job. The barrel has some
wiggle room but just won't turn over to macro

So i figure its broke, and on its way to the box it came from for ten
more years

thanks for the help though

Old December 9th 06, 07:18 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Brace

wrote in message
ups.com...

Robert Brace wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Don't give up just yet. I dug out my copy to be sure I had it right and
wouldn't you know I forgot one step!
Before you squeeze the "ears" and twist the barrel clockwise, THE ZOOM SLIDE
MUST BE IN THE 210mm POSITION. If you try it with any setting less than
full zoom, the barrel won't rotate into position so the yellow line lines up
with the red index dot on the mount. Same with moving it back to normal
focus position when you're done with close-focus (macro).
Bob

Old December 9th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Robert Brace wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Robert Brace wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Success! tricky little bugga huh. I could have sworn I tried that, but
thank you so much.
Its funny though, I decided not to toss it over my shoulders, i went
over to the local click camera store in the morning with the lens and
all the employees where as clueless as I was.

thank you!!!