Your opinion of Canon 400D

Old November 21st 06, 06:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Default Your opinion of Canon 400D

Todd H. wrote:
"Pete D" writes:

Don't over-generalize, it's usually wrong. :^)

Generally speaking of course! ;-)

And the corollary:
Nearly half of all people you meet are below average.

.....of the population of the people I meet.

But many of us are fortunate enough to not have to meet a lot of people
of average or below average intelligence, and that applies to many NGs....

==
--
john mcwilliams
Old November 21st 06, 07:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Todd H.

"Pete D" writes:

Don't over-generalize, it's usually wrong. :^)

Generally speaking of course! ;-)

And the corollary:
Nearly half of all people you meet are below average.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Old January 23rd 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Doug McDonald

MarkČ wrote:

I would never wish to require an overly-bright screen,

The killer defect on the 30D is the far-too-dim color screen.
It is barely invisible in sunny areas even if you shade it and
shield your eyes. And it is **THE** vital feature, since it is what
has the histogram to tell if you overexposed something. With the
dead-end cutoff of brightness levels of digital, you need to check
every shot.

Doug McDonald
Old January 23rd 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
J. Clarke

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 07:44:34 -0600, Doug McDonald
wrote:

MarkČ wrote:

I would never wish to require an overly-bright screen,

The killer defect on the 30D is the far-too-dim color screen.
It is barely invisible in sunny areas even if you shade it and
shield your eyes. And it is **THE** vital feature, since it is what
has the histogram to tell if you overexposed something. With the
dead-end cutoff of brightness levels of digital, you need to check
every shot.

I am curious as to what kind of photography you do that requires that
you check every shot.

Personally if it's a stationary subject I autobracket and worry about
it later, and if it's a transient subject then I can't reshoot it
anyway.

But then I'm used to working with cameras that don't even have a
meter.

Doug McDonald

Old January 23rd 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Colin_D

Doug McDonald wrote:
MarkČ wrote:

I would never wish to require an overly-bright screen,

The killer defect on the 30D is the far-too-dim color screen.
It is barely invisible in sunny areas even if you shade it and
shield your eyes. And it is **THE** vital feature, since it is what
has the histogram to tell if you overexposed something. With the
dead-end cutoff of brightness levels of digital, you need to check
every shot.

Doug McDonald

My 300D has variable brightness for the lcd screen, accessible in the
menu. I run mine at 2 (out of 5), and it's adequately bright. Have you
tried increasing the 30D's lcd brightness? - assuming you have one, and
are not just commenting on a quick look in a camera store, where the
brightness could have been fiddled anywhere.

Colin D.

Old January 23rd 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Doug McDonald

Colin_D wrote:

My 300D has variable brightness for the lcd screen, accessible in the
menu. I run mine at 2 (out of 5), and it's adequately bright. Have you
tried increasing the 30D's lcd brightness? - assuming you have one, and
are not just commenting on a quick look in a camera store, where the
brightness could have been fiddled anywhere.

Oh I have one, and I have it set to max brightness. It's OK
except in sunlight (and no, looking away from the sun and
shielding the screen with my hands just isn't quite good enough).

Doug McDonald
Old January 24th 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill Funk

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:40:19 -0600, Doug McDonald
wrote:

Colin_D wrote:

My 300D has variable brightness for the lcd screen, accessible in the
menu. I run mine at 2 (out of 5), and it's adequately bright. Have you
tried increasing the 30D's lcd brightness? - assuming you have one, and
are not just commenting on a quick look in a camera store, where the
brightness could have been fiddled anywhere.

Oh I have one, and I have it set to max brightness. It's OK
except in sunlight (and no, looking away from the sun and
shielding the screen with my hands just isn't quite good enough).

Doug McDonald

I don't have a real problem with my 30D.
I'm thinking this must be a personal thing. I don't have this problem
with my FX01, or our S2IS, either, though some insist they can't see a
thing in their LCDs in the sun.

--
Washington Post humorist
Art Buchwald was eulogized
Old January 24th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
default

"Doug McDonald" wrote in message

Oh I have one, and I have it set to max brightness. It's OK
except in sunlight (and no, looking away from the sun and
shielding the screen with my hands just isn't quite good enough).

Hopefully this isn't too stupid of a question, but are you wearing polarized
sunglasses to see the LCD? The light coming from an LCD is polarized and if
the angle is right, it will go black with sunglasses.

Old January 24th 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MarkČ

Doug McDonald wrote:
Colin_D wrote:

My 300D has variable brightness for the lcd screen, accessible in the
menu. I run mine at 2 (out of 5), and it's adequately bright. Have
you tried increasing the 30D's lcd brightness? - assuming you have
one, and are not just commenting on a quick look in a camera store,
where the brightness could have been fiddled anywhere.

Oh I have one, and I have it set to max brightness. It's OK
except in sunlight (and no, looking away from the sun and
shielding the screen with my hands just isn't quite good enough).

Doug McDonald

My 5D has the same screen, and it's fine, though certainly not "pretty" in
bright sunlight.

But honestly, here...anyone relying on the displayed IMAGE is kidding
themselves if they're using that to determine proper exposure--if for no
other reason than the fact that conditions will ALWAYS effect the
accuracy...not the least of which being your brightness settings.

The only real and trustworthy indicator on ANY camera's review screen is of
understanding and use of the histgram display (info disdplay on Canons).
The simple histogram display is certainly readable in even the brightest of
conditions.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 24th 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MarkČ

default wrote:
"Doug McDonald" wrote in message

Oh I have one, and I have it set to max brightness. It's OK
except in sunlight (and no, looking away from the sun and
shielding the screen with my hands just isn't quite good enough).

Hopefully this isn't too stupid of a question, but are you wearing
polarized sunglasses to see the LCD? The light coming from an LCD is
polarized and if the angle is right, it will go black with sunglasses.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who have no clue what's going on when
wearing their Maui Jims...

www.pbase.com/markuson

Canon 400D [email protected] Digital SLR Cameras 7 November 12th 06 08:53 PM
Canon 400d RAW conversions Bill Hilton Digital Photography 5 November 6th 06 03:34 PM
which lens to get for Canon 400D? Stimp Digital Photography 15 October 14th 06 06:02 AM
Canon 400D Jack Digital SLR Cameras 54 August 29th 06 09:38 PM
Canon 400D - DSLR sharkbait999 Digital Photography 25 August 26th 06 06:17 AM