High zoom cameras

Old July 20th 04, 02:31 PM
Arte Phacting

Default High zoom cameras

Whatever you do I wouldn't recommend a DSLR - not unless they have good
water, humidity protection. Is there any DSLR that can be used in a modest
downpour?

Artie

ps - it doesn't really matter what u take in to a tropical rainforest - if
it can rot it will rot if it can't rot it'll feed mould, fungus and mildew

but you can still have fun and a good old time :-)

pps - set the weight limit first IMHO ditch the non-essentials

"Post Replies Here Please" wrote in message
"Hans-Georg" == Hans-Georg Michna

writes:

Hans-Georg On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 23:35:21 GMT, "Arte Phacting"
Hans-Georg wrote:

You may need to consider humidity as the major factor

Hans-Georg I was going to say ...

Hans-Georg He may not be very happy with any digital camera in 100%+
Hans-Georg humidity, or with any electronic camera for that matter.

Hans-Georg Hans-Georg

Get a waterproof case. Canon has these cases for some of their models.

I wonder what folks did in the good old days in the rain forest with
35mm cameras?

Good luck

Old July 20th 04, 04:22 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:42:08 +0200, Alfred Molon
wrote:

What about noise levels and chromatic aberrations ?

Alfred,

the chroma errors are the big minus of this camera. Apart from
those color seams at max tele zoom and the lack of low light
capability the camera is apparently very good.

It shares the low light weakness with the Panasonic Lumix
DMC-FZx series of cameras, but those have a near-perfect Leica
lens with a 12x zoom factor. That's their main strength.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old July 20th 04, 05:37 PM
Kimberlee

On my pics, I haven't experienced issues with either noise or chromatic
aberrations.
I shot 400 photos, most of which were outside in bright conditions (water
skiing).

Here's a group of actual Canon users:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1010
Here's another review:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s1is.html

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you choose.
~Kimberlee

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
Kimberlee wrote:
I'm not familiar with Nikon, but the Canon S1 IS is an awesome camera.
I am very impressed with the quality, and you can't beat Canon optics.

What about noise levels and chromatic aberrations ? Are there reviews of
this camera ?
--

Alfred Molon

Old July 20th 04, 05:53 PM
Pete

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:19:14 +0200, Alfred Molon wrote:

Which of the compact cameras with at least 3MP and an 8x or more zoom
(at least 300mm at the tele end in 35mm equivalence) is best in terms of
image quality ? I was thinking of using one in the tropical rainforest,
where illumination conditions are not always perfect.

I am very pleased with my Panasonic FZ10 with 4MP and 12X optical.

You can see my detailed comparison of this camera versus the Olympus C-720
(3MP and 8X optical) at

http://www.seanet.com/~pgm/panasonic.htm

HTH
Old July 20th 04, 09:20 PM
Arte Phacting

Usually electronic kit comes with a prescribed operating range including
temperature and humidity

Don't digital cameras do the same thing?

Artie

ps - it helps to avoid this one says one thing and another says another
thing. It may indeed be the case that digital cameras will operate at
higher humidity all it takes is the lab test to say so

"Big Bill" wrote in message
news

wrote:

You may need to consider humidity as the major factor

I was going to say ...

He may not be very happy with any digital camera in 100%+
humidity, or with any electronic camera for that matter.

Well, I have been using digital cameras in tropical rainforests before
and never experienced problems.

Why would you?
The condensation goes away as the temps of the camera normalize. It
only takes a few minutes.

Where the humidity would be a factor is more on the metal and the flm
(if using film, of course). The electronics are actually more immune
to damage from humidity than the metal (mechanical) parts of a camera.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Old July 21st 04, 02:47 AM
Arte Phacting

LOL - what a wonderful sense of humour you have blush

I am very pleased you took it that way

Artie

"Kimberlee" wrote in message
Hi (SM)Artie!
Yes; *actual* versus 'virtual' grin..
Good pickup there!
Thanks for the chuckle.
~Kimberlee

"Arte Phacting" wrote in message
Hiya Kimberlee

Is that actual Canon users as opposed to 'virtual' Canon users?

Artie :-)

"Kimberlee" wrote in

message

Old July 21st 04, 11:41 AM
Arte Phacting

Well you did have once?
(see below)

Artie

"Kimberlee" wrote in message
Okay---HEY! What type of "virtual" are YOU talking about?
SHEESH! Get yer mind outta' the gutter; this is a photography newsgroup!
grin
And yes, I do have a wonderful sense of humor!

Old July 21st 04, 04:12 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:37:04 -0800, "Kimberlee"
wrote:

On my pics, I haven't experienced issues with either noise or chromatic
aberrations.
I shot 400 photos, most of which were outside in bright conditions (water
skiing).

Kimberlee,

no surprise. The chromatic aberration is strongest at max zoom
and aperture wide open (1 : 3.1).

When it's bright, the aperture is closed further, which reduces
the aberration, but doesn't eliminate it entirely. Look at sharp
high contrast edges and you will see the color seams.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.