safelight -- 'Lamp Dip' Rosco's Colorine

Old November 7th 05, 02:44 PM
Lloyd Erlick

Default safelight -- 'Lamp Dip' Rosco's Colorine

November 7, 2005, from Lloyd Erlick,,

I've been poking about making my darkroom
functional again, and the topic of safelights
has intruded upon my mind. Here is a web page
I found that might be of interest:

(I haven't tried this, so I can't say if one
of the red lamp dips is actually safe for
photo materials. Maybe someone on the
darkroom list is familiar with this product.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://wolfstone.halloweenhost.com/T...t.html#LampDip

Lamp Dip
Lamp dip is a paint-like liquid specially
designed to be applied to a lamp by painting
on the glass envelope, or dipping the bulb
into the liquid. This leaves a film on the
lamp that colors the light.

Lamp dip is designed to work in hot
environments like the surface of a lamp, but
it has limitations, and will burn off
extremely hot lamps. Check the manufacturer's
specifications to find the limitations of the
product.

There are probably several outfits that make
stuff like this, but the most famous is
Rosco's Colorine, which was the first product
that the company made, back in 1910. Colors
are described as "brilliant and long
lasting", but "not for permanent
installations." Another reference suggests
Colorine for use on incandescent lamps of 40W
or less.

part number
color
Roscolux filter equivalent

07601
Cardinal Red
26

07602
Ruby Red
27

07603
Magenta
49

Colorine is only available in pints. It costs
a little over $14/pint as of January 2004.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

regards,
--le
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326
email:
net:
www.heylloyd.com
________________________________

Old November 7th 05, 06:41 PM
Peter Chant

Colorine is only available in pints. It costs
a little over $14/pint as of January 2004.

How many bulbs do you intend to coat!
--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old November 7th 05, 07:20 PM
Draco

Just one.

A Lot!!

Old November 7th 05, 07:34 PM
Peter Irwin

Peter Chant wrote:

Colorine is only available in pints. It costs
a little over $14/pint as of January 2004.

How many bulbs do you intend to coat!

If coating a 25w globe lamp would give you something
like a Delta 1 safelight bulb, you would only need to
coat one or two bulbs to start to save money. The Delta 1
bulbs must be coated with something similar to this,
but I have no idea whether they have their own special
coating or buy it from a third party.

The curves for the Roscolux #27 filter would seem to
indicate that it would be a reasonable substitute for
a #1A filter. I would be very interested if someone
were to test it and report their findings.

Another idea for saving money on safelights is to use
a few layers of rubylith as a safelight filter. If
there were lighting gels which were known to be safe,
they might be attractive also. The proper safelight
filters from Kodak and Ilford have got rather expensive,
though they do last a long time in domestic use.

Peter.

Old November 7th 05, 10:14 PM
Gregory Blank

In article , Peter Irwin
wrote:

The curves for the Roscolux #27 filter would seem to
indicate that it would be a reasonable substitute for
a #1A filter. I would be very interested if someone
were to test it and report their findings.

Your the perfect candidate :-)
Old November 7th 05, 10:45 PM
Peter Irwin

Gregory Blank wrote:
In article , Peter Irwin
wrote:

The curves for the Roscolux #27 filter would seem to
indicate that it would be a reasonable substitute for
a #1A filter. I would be very interested if someone
were to test it and report their findings.

Your the perfect candidate :-)

I think I will try the experiment. I've been using an
Ilford safelight and filter lately, but I'm always
trying to convince people to start their own darkrooms
and a source of cheap and effective safelights would be
a good thing to know about. Having an extra safelight in
a dark corner might be nice too.

Peter.

Old November 8th 05, 02:11 PM
Lloyd Erlick

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 18:41:36 +0000, Peter
Chant wrote:

Colorine is only available in pints. It costs
a little over $14/pint as of January 2004.

How many bulbs do you intend to coat!

November 8, 2005, from Lloyd Erlick,

Well, I'm only looking for a cheap source of
safelights. I'm reconstituting my darkroom
after a little while off, and I checked the
price of safelights in a local photo shop.
Over fifty dollars.

I want lights in a number of locations in my
place. I don't want to pay fifty dollars for
a safelight in every corner. So if I can dip
a Christmas tree bulb and put it in a small,
ordinary lamp, the whole thing is painless,
or at least cheap.

I suppose I'll get a pint and dip a lifetime
supply of small bulbs.

Someone mentioned Delta1 safelight bulbs. I
tried those years ago (perhaps they have
changed by now). I hated the damn things;
Delta lost me as a customer forever. I found
their safelight bulbs had extremely delicate
filaments. I destroyed several bulbs by
handling them too roughly before I realized
what was happening. I do know how to handle
delicate things, I have a camera and a lens
or two. I work with wet sheets of paper.
Other light bulbs have survived well with me,
including plenty of ECA and ECT lamps burning
away at really high temperature. So, the
Delta bulb is not on my list. It's also
wildly overpriced. Two or three would cost
the same as a pint of dipping paint.

I'd just like to coat a box full of small
bulbs and have safelights for the rest of my
life...

regards,
--le
________________________________

Old November 8th 05, 02:15 PM
Lloyd Erlick

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 19:34:08 +0000 (UTC),
Peter Irwin wrote:

The curves for the Roscolux #27 filter would seem to
indicate that it would be a reasonable substitute for
a #1A filter. I would be very interested if someone
were to test it and report their findings.

November 8, 2005, from Lloyd Erlick,

Could you tell me where you found the curves?
I looked all over the Rosco site but all I
could find was the advertisement for a book
of swatches that included spectral curves.

There is a remark in one of the Rosco pdf
documents to the effect that the R27 filter
passes light of wavelength over 620
nanometers, and none below.

thanks,
--le

________________________________

Old November 8th 05, 02:19 PM
Lloyd Erlick

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 22:45:53 +0000 (UTC),
Peter Irwin wrote:

Having an extra safelight in
a dark corner might be nice too.

November 8, 2005, from Lloyd Erlick,

That's what I'd like. Now that I'm an aged
pea, my eyes would really like a little light
where they're expected to see.

Small safelight bulbs under my cabinets and
in the far corners and down the passage to my
print washer would be very nice. I'd also
like a bit of light around my feet wherever
I'd have to walk, and to help find things
that get dropped. Christmas tree bulbs are
all over the place right now, and soon they
will be getting sold off cheap by the
retailers. They don't have such a long
lifespan, but if dipping them is cheap it
should be OK.

regards,
--le
________________________________

Old November 8th 05, 03:39 PM
Chris Ellinger

Peter Irwin wrote:

Having an extra safelight in
a dark corner might be nice too.

November 8, 2005, from Lloyd Erlick,

That's what I'd like. Now that I'm an aged
pea, my eyes would really like a little light
where they're expected to see.

Haven't tried them, but there are strings of xmas tree bulbs made from
LEDs now. I'd bet the red ones are safe, and cheap...and so festive!

Chris Ellinger
Ann Arbor, MI
USA