Frontier CD Scanning by A&I Photo

Old September 22nd 04, 04:53 AM
Michael

Default Frontier CD Scanning by A&I Photo

I use the A&I "prepaid mailers" to get my film developed and prints
and then add an additional $10 for a "Frontier Scan".

This is what A&I says on their web site about their CD Scans that they
give you when they develop a roll of film for you:

"What is a Frontier scan? Frontier Regular Scans can be made from
negative or transparency film. We provide 5-6 MB TIFF files for each
image, along with a thumbnail. This size is suitable for web display,
small format printing and 4x6
prints. These scans cannot be used to make larger prints. Higher res
scans are available at our standard prices by mail, but not by
mailer."

Here is the link to A&I:

http://www.aandi.com/index.html

Here is the link to this comment about their "Frontier Scan".

http://www.aandi.com/faqppm.html#cd

I typically get a CD containing my images in actually about 6 MEG
"TIFF" Files.

Any comments on what they are doing and the quality of these images?
Shouldn't a 6 Meg TIFF file be able to be used for a LOT more then a 4
x 6 image???

Michael
Old September 22nd 04, 05:35 AM
Ken Weitzel

Michael wrote:

[...]

Hi Michael...

Doing the math, they're scanned at 1200 dpi.

They should make beautiful 4x6,s - very nice 5x7's -
and provided you're not a pro, 8x10's that are
quite acceptable for the rec room wall

However, though it's none of my business, I wonder
about the wisdom of paying them 10 bucks a pop
to do the scanning for you. How about considering
purchasing your own scanner and scanning the negs
yourself? Provided that you have the time to do it,
it wouldn't take any time at all to write off the
cost of the scanner at $10 per roll.

If I were still using film, I'd try to find myself
a place that would process my negs alone. Do my own
scanning; then print only the pics I wanted at the
size(s) and quantities I needed.

Take care.

Ken