Canon Powershot S1 / Needs user opinions

Old September 21st 04, 07:03 PM
Marc

Default Canon Powershot S1 / Needs user opinions

Hi

I am looking into buying a canon powershot S1 with the 10X optical zoom.

I have read a bunch of comments on this newsgroup, none seem favorable, but
usually the people that voice there concern the most are dis-satisfied
customers.

I would like the opinion of people that actually own the camera. I plan on
using the camera in everyday situations. Kids soccer game, family vacations,
etc ... mostly family shots. (The camera will mostly be set on Auto mode)

Also I would like to know how indoors shots look? It seems that no consumer
camera does a good job in low light situations. Things like the kids opening
their gifts on christmas eve, with only the light of the Christmas tree.

Thanks for your opinions...
Marc
Old September 21st 04, 07:04 PM
Phil Wheeler

Marc wrote:
Hi

I am looking into buying a canon powershot S1 with the 10X optical zoom.

I have read a bunch of comments on this newsgroup, none seem favorable, but
usually the people that voice there concern the most are dis-satisfied
customers.

I would like the opinion of people that actually own the camera. I plan on
using the camera in everyday situations. Kids soccer game, family vacations,
etc ... mostly family shots. (The camera will mostly be set on Auto mode)

I like mine. But do use the P mode.

Also I would like to know how indoors shots look? It seems that no consumer
camera does a good job in low light situations. Things like the kids opening
their gifts on christmas eve, with only the light of the Christmas tree.

Low light focussing could be an issue under such situations -- but not
having a Christmas tree just now, I cannot run that test.

Phil

Old September 22nd 04, 01:10 AM
David Sommers

You must be reading newsgroups I don't know about. My Canon S1 IS is a very
good camera. It's the one nearly perfect tool for recording memories of
family sports and vacations. To make the best use of this camera you will
need to learn about the preprogrammed modes. For soccer games, you use
fast-shutter (sports) mode. For taking a shot of the family at dusk in the
theme park, you use the night portrait mode. For the kids opening their
gifts with just Xmas lights, you need P mode with ISO400 and the flash
disabled.

Here's some of my S1 IS stuff:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/65681DD78AA764D

http://www.fototime.com/inv/9209B89E7E5F1E6

http://www.fototime.com/43ECE48DF515091/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/40954AD3A455FA4/standard.jpg

Bye.

om...

Old September 22nd 04, 12:30 PM
dwight

"Marc" wrote in message
om...
Hi

I am looking into buying a canon powershot S1 with the 10X optical zoom.

http://home.comcast.net/~dmunroe
This is a site I put up when I'd first gotten the S1. I have been very
pleased with the camera overall, although low light situations can be
tricky. (Just got back from Monday Night football with about 150 shots, but
the field was very well lit.)

I would encourage you to play with the camera on AUTO, but then take the
time to explore its all-manual settings. I really think that's where the
camera comes alive.

dwight

Old September 22nd 04, 01:03 PM
Marc