Shutter Speed help...choice of Cameras

Old September 21st 04, 01:51 AM
Marty H

Default Shutter Speed help...choice of Cameras

First of all "newbie alert!"

short version

would 1/2000 sec shutter speed be fast nought for taking motorcycle pics
seeing this one was taken at 1/1000
http://www.martyh.com/sbk04/imagepages/image41.htm
taken with the DSC-S75 3x optical and 2x digital
1/1000 F6.3 IS0 100 bike doing 135mph+/220kph+, camera heavily panned

there are heaps of cameras in my price range (in Australia so prices around
the Olympus c770) that will do 1/1000 or 1/2000 max

I don't want to buy a camera that doesn't do what I want it to do, but as a
hobby only don't want to pay over the top for camera that I cant afford (i.e
SLR)

could stretch to the Minolta DiMAGE A1
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a1.html
which is what I would really love, but it could be a little big for carring
around on the bike

ta

Marty H

long version

be mucking around with digital camera for about 2 years but still consider
myself a newbie, my work can be seen at www.martyh.com shameless plug
must of this stuff is up on the web for the people who I converse with on
the net who couldn't be at the event, not as a display of my lack of talent

most photos taken by a Kodak dx3215 1.3mp (mine)
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/dx3215.html

some taken by Sony FD 97 2.1mp (great camera for its day IMHO), love its
optical zoom (employer's)
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/fd97.html
pics @ http://www.martyh.com/motoshow/index.htm

and some by a Sony DSC-S75, lacks the optical zoom (ex-gf's)
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/s75.html
pics @ http://www.martyh.com/sbk04/index.htm

also a played with the Olympus c750,
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/c750uz.html
both my boss and workmate have this camera and are wrapped with it, so am I
except the shutter speed, hence the main reason of this post

as you can see most of my picture taking is centred around Motorcycles and
downside to taking pictures of motorcycles and they sometimes go fast, there
inst many photos of moving bikes because none of them came out (esp with the
Kodak)
http://www.martyh.com/eildon_we_2002...es/image29.htm
that image was taken at 1/250, F8, ISO 100 and the bike doning approx
50mph/80kph

both the Kodak and Olympus run a max 1/1000 shutter, but the Olympus has a
F2.8 aperture compared with the Kodak's F4.5,

http://www.martyh.com/sbk04/imagepages/image41.htm
taken with the DSC-S75 3x optical and 2x digital
1/1000 F6.3 IS0 100 bike doing 135mph+/220kph+, camera heavily panned

I think I just answered my on question with that last photo, is 1/1000 going
to be fast enough?? no? what about 1/2000, there is a real lack of cameras
in the price range I am looking at with anything above 1/2000 sec.

wish list
not a full SLR
10x optical zoom (6x min)
fast enough shutter speed for bike pics
4MP min
good quality optics
capable of taking screw on adaptors and filters
full manual operation aswell as auto
AA Batteries preferable
hot shoe

not concerned with
movie mode
on board effects
digital zoom

top of the list is the Minolta DiMAGE A1
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a1.html
with its 1/16,000 sec shutter speed

Fuji S7000
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/s7000.html
1/10,000 sec

then the cheaper side of things and a little more realistic

Olympus c750, (or 770)
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/c750uz.html
1/1000 sec

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/fz10.html
1/2000 sec

and heaps of others in the 1/1000 to 2/2000 ranges like the new Fuji's

ta

Marty H

Old September 21st 04, 08:01 AM
Matt Ion

Marty H wrote:

First of all "newbie alert!"

short version

would 1/2000 sec shutter speed be fast nought for taking motorcycle pics
seeing this one was taken at 1/1000
http://www.martyh.com/sbk04/imagepages/image41.htm
taken with the DSC-S75 3x optical and 2x digital
1/1000 F6.3 IS0 100 bike doing 135mph+/220kph+, camera heavily panned

I've frozen the rotor blades on a hovering helicopter with only the
slightest blur at the tips, at 1/1000... 1/2000 should fast enough to
capture a Larry King marriage in its entirety.
Old September 21st 04, 11:25 PM
ZONED!

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:51:13 +1000, "Marty H"
wrote:

First of all "newbie alert!"

************************************************* **
short version

would 1/2000 sec shutter speed be fast nought for taking motorcycle pics

Yes, more than fast enough.

seeing this one was taken at 1/1000
http://www.martyh.com/sbk04/imagepages/image41.htm
taken with the DSC-S75 3x optical and 2x digital
1/1000 F6.3 IS0 100 bike doing 135mph+/220kph+, camera heavily panned

Panning at these speeds are the tricky part

************************************************* ************

Old September 21st 04, 11:25 PM
ZONED!

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:51:13 +1000, "Marty H"
wrote:

First of all "newbie alert!"

************************************************* **

Old September 21st 04, 11:25 PM
ZONED!

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:51:13 +1000, "Marty H"
wrote:

First of all "newbie alert!"

************************************************* **

Old September 22nd 04, 12:30 AM
BenOne©

Marty H wrote:

[...]

Hi Marty,

Make sure you get one with manual focus. Most of the non DSLRs have trouble
auto focusing on moving objects. I think the Panasonic FZ10 is definitely worth
a look and is a much better camera thatn the Fuji S7000.

--
Ben Thomas
given nor endorsed by it.

Old September 22nd 04, 02:47 AM
Hunt

In article , says...

First of all "newbie alert!"

************************************************* **
short version

would 1/2000 sec shutter speed be fast nought for taking motorcycle pics
seeing this one was taken at 1/1000
http://www.martyh.com/sbk04/imagepages/image41.htm
taken with the DSC-S75 3x optical and 2x digital
1/1000 F6.3 IS0 100 bike doing 135mph+/220kph+, camera heavily panned

there are heaps of cameras in my price range (in Australia so prices around
the Olympus c770) that will do 1/1000 or 1/2000 max

I don't want to buy a camera that doesn't do what I want it to do, but as a
hobby only don't want to pay over the top for camera that I cant afford (i.e
SLR)

could stretch to the Minolta DiMAGE A1
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a1.html
which is what I would really love, but it could be a little big for carring
around on the bike

ta

It depends. In most cases yes. If the axis of the lens is perpendicular to the
action, and the speed of the cycle is very high, maybe not. The closer "on-
axis" your subject is, the better you can stop that action. Also, if you are
shooting jumps, a little pan will usually capture the cycle at its apex at 1/
2000 very nicely. The forward speed will still be significant, but you will
follow that, and capture the bike, as it hangs in the air.

Hunt

Old September 22nd 04, 02:47 AM
Hunt

In article , says...