Kodak to Ilford : Alternative Products.

Old November 14th 05, 03:53 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

Default Kodak to Ilford : Alternative Products.

"Richard Knoppow" wrote

Ilford is in a somewhat different place since they do not make color
film. I think there will be a continuing albeit small market for
conventional B&W material and, with the demise of the big guys (Kodak
and Agfa) there will be enough to support a smaller company, or maybe a
couple.

It had better be a couple. Ilford once said they planned to be the
last man standing making B&W materials: to be the last soldier
standing after a battle is not counted as victory.

From Pyro to Pyrrhus.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com
Old November 14th 05, 04:08 PM
Gregory Blank

In article et,
"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote:

It had better be a couple. Ilford once said they planned to be the
last man standing making B&W materials: to be the last soldier
standing after a battle is not counted as victory.

It beats being dead.

From Pyro to Pyrrhus.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old November 14th 05, 06:51 PM
Scott Norwood

In article ,
Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

He said that
at the theatre he worked at, the lenses for various formats are in
fixed-focus adapters that supposedly allow the swapping of lenses to
accomodate different formats with no refocusing required.

[snip]

OK, I can see where there might be confusion: lenses usually have
"focus rings" which allow them to register properly in the lens
holder of the projector. (Side note: a good theatre should be
able to project at least four different aspect ratios: 1.33/1.37,
1.66, 1.85, and 2.35/2.40:1; this requires up to four different
lenses, depending on the screen configuration.) With the exception
of one particular make of projector (Kinoton), these do not assure
precise focus when the lens is inserted. They simply get the lens
focus in the ballpark for the start of the show; it must then be
tweaked by hand (almost all cinema lenses are f/2.0, and longer
lenses give greater depth of field). The type of film stock and
the gate tension also affect the focus of the screen image. All
projectors have a normal "focus" knob to adjust the position of
the lens relative to the film plane.

He claimed
-- and maybe this is false -- that the lamps were, at the dictate of
management, sufficiently defocused to avoid burning prints that it was
not possible to adjust the lens adapters to give correct back focus
for all formats on all projectors, resulting in slightly out-of-focus
images projected on the screen.

It sounds as if that theatre was managed by some dim bulbs (no pun
intended).
Old November 16th 05, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On 13 Nov 2005 22:42:24 -0800, "Richard
Knoppow" wrote:

Digital has
many advantages over conventional silver based photography, but I enjoy
working with it and digital is too, what shall I say, routine.
Artists interested only in producing a product won't care, any
medium that works is OK, but I've spent a lot of time and effort to
learn the "magic" of silver based photography and am reluctant to let
it go.

November 16, 2005, from Lloyd Erlick,

Once again I completely agree with Richard.

regards,
--le
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326
email:
net:
www.heylloyd.com
________________________________

Old November 18th 05, 12:31 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Gregory Blank" wrote in message
In article
et,
"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote:

It had better be a couple. Ilford once said they planned
to be the
last man standing making B&W materials: to be the last
soldier
standing after a battle is not counted as victory.

It beats being dead.

From Pyro to Pyrrhus.

I quote George S. Patton: Its not my job to die for my
country: its my job to make the other poor damn ******* die.

--
---
Richard Knoppow