Removing Edwal No Scratch

Old November 12th 05, 10:40 PM
Thor Lancelot Simon

Default Removing Edwal No Scratch

In article t,
Richard Knoppow wrote:

Dry Alcohol absorbs water readily until it reaches 91% so
99% must be used fairly quickly after opening the container.

Actually, "dry" alcohol usually has a very small amount of some other
substance mixed in to keep it from absorbing water. Used to be
benzene, I think, but I doubt they still use that in a product you
can buy in the drugstore.

This is a reason why laboratory-grade "100%" ethanol really should not
be used to make holiday punch... ;-0

--
Thor Lancelot Simon

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be
abandoned or transcended, there is no problem." - Noam Chomsky
Old November 13th 05, 12:33 AM
David Nebenzahl

Richard Knoppow spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message

Mike King spake thus:

I do a little camera repair work (nothing technical-mostly
cleaning and relubricating focus helicals) and haven't found
anything better than Ronsonol to do the degreasing job. It takes
a little time and patience but it works cleanly and doesn't cost
an arm and leg. I also have both 90% Isopropyl and 190 proof
Everclear for cleaning other surfaces. Some gunk responds better
to one or the other.

My other two weapons of choice are denatured alcohol, as
you use, and acetone (lacquer thinner) for really
hard-to-remove gunk. Must only use the latter with good
ventilation, though.

Ronsonol is Naptha. Naptha is available from
paint/hardware/home improvement stores. Ronsonol appears to
be pretty pure and does not leave a residue.

(Naphtha. Like "NAFTA" with a lithp.)

Neither does the garden-variety charcoal lighter, from my experience. It
works as well as the much more expensive stuff in the little bottles.

Be careful of denatured alcohol, the denaturants or often
substances like Acetone which can attack some plastics. Pure
(dry) Isopropyl is a good degreaser and does not leave a
residue. You can get 99% Isopropyl at many drugstores. 91%
is not dry enough, it will streak film and leave too much
water behind when used for cleaning parts (like shutters).

Actually, since I work in a print shop, I can just borrow a little of
our 100% isopropyl alcohol, which we keep as one of the solvents used on
presses.

--
.... asked to comment on Michigan governor George Romney's remark that
the army had "brainwashed" him in Vietnam—-a remark which knocked Romney

(Eugene McCarthy, onetime candidate for POTUS)
Old November 13th 05, 11:39 PM
Richard Knoppow

"Thor Lancelot Simon" wrote in message
In article
t,
Richard Knoppow wrote:

Dry Alcohol absorbs water readily until it reaches 91% so
99% must be used fairly quickly after opening the
container.

Actually, "dry" alcohol usually has a very small amount of
some other
substance mixed in to keep it from absorbing water. Used
to be
benzene, I think, but I doubt they still use that in a
product you
can buy in the drugstore.

This is a reason why laboratory-grade "100%" ethanol
really should not
be used to make holiday punch... ;-0

--
Thor Lancelot Simon

Ethanol yes, Isopropanol no. The stuff I am talking about
is Isopropanol. Pure ethyl alcohol is hard to obtain because
it must be taxed as liquor unless its for proven medical or
industrial purposes. Denatured alcohol is Ethanol made
undrinkable, hence untaxable, by adding toxic substances to
it. High proof Vodka won't do as a cleaning solvent for film
or shutters because its got too much water in it (beside
making your fingers unsteady).

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old November 14th 05, 07:22 AM
David Nebenzahl

Richard Knoppow spake thus:

... High proof Vodka won't do as a cleaning solvent for film
or shutters because its got too much water in it (beside
making your fingers unsteady).

What you say? My fingers are perfectly shteady.