Why not slower ISOs?

Old September 20th 04, 06:53 PM
Bart van der Wolf

wrote in message
Kibo informs me that "David J Taylor"
stated

that:
SNIP
Fuji have their dual-site CCD sensor, with the smaller

photodetector being
less sensitive....

Betcha they implement it by including the moral equivalent of an ND
filter over the extra photodetector. (Well, that's how I'd implement
such a system.)

Wouldn't bet on that. The smaller sensor(aperture) has a smaller
chance of being hit by photons during the same exposure time. If the
underlying potential well depth is large enough, it requires much more
energy to saturate. The difference is in the aperture size, which is
much easier to implement than unstable filters.

Bart

Old September 21st 04, 07:03 PM
Ian Stirling

Roland Karlsson wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote in news:414e2ff1$0$69721
:

http://www.fillfactory.com/ do some.
The sensor is linear up to a certain limit, then non-linear up to a much
higher one.
This of course trades a bit of tonal resolution for a much, much higher
range of intensities.

Thx. According to their site, they have stopped
supporting non linear sensors.

There was one range that was specifically advertised as high
dynamic range.
However, look on the other datasheets for "dual-slope dynamic range
expansion", which is the same thing.

Old September 21st 04, 11:20 PM
Roland Karlsson

"nancarrow" wrote in

I own an Olympus C765 which has ISO settings from 64 - 400 so some
manufacturers are attempting to address this problem

ISO 64 is not unusual for compact digicams, my G2 has ISO 50.

The poster wondered why not arbitrarily lower, e.g. ISO 12 or 6 or ...

The answer is that a (normal) sensor has a natural ISO, which is the
lowest possible without using optical filters. Your camera seems
to have an ISO 64 sensor.

The higher ISOS you get by increasing the gain before doing
A/D-conversion. That is possible - but it introduces more noise.

/Roland