Yet another one

Old October 24th 14, 02:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Yet another one

Now that I have (just) started with Lightroom I have taken to mining
my old images for candidates for better processing. Here is one I
found, taken in 2006 with my Nikon D70.

I was staying in a hotel on the outskirts of central Melbourne. The
back view from the hotel looked out through tinted glass windows on to
buildings, most of which dated from before about 1880. The view
fascinated me so I took a number of photographs, the original raw file
for one of which may be found at
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...3/DSC_1764.NEF

Alternatively, a JPG of that shot can be found at
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Roofs-1764.jpg

After much dabbling, I finished up with
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ofs-1764-3.jpg

I am not entirely happy with this image and know that it should
benefit from cropping: but the question is where? I have an old
attempt where I cropped it at about the first-floor verandah level of
the old two-storey house at the right of the image. That didn't seem
too bad at the time but I am not entirely happy with that in the
present image.

You will notice that I have made some perspective changes. This was
done entirely with Lightroom 'auto'.

I was concerned with the color changes wrought by the tinted glass but
LR's 'auto' seems to have dealt reasonably well with that. But I am
still not entirely happy. But it's all progress.

Eric Stevens
Old October 24th 14, 03:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

:
[...]

At first glance the fixed version is prettier, mainly because it's not so dark
and murky. But it conveys little or no information about where the light is
coming from. So the longer I look at it, the more artificial it appears.

I wouldn't crop it, BTW. Compositionally, I think it's OK as is, and it isn't
clear what would be gained.

Bob
Old October 24th 14, 03:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-10-24 01:57:50 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

[...]

I am happy to see that you are tackling LR.
This shot looks like a good image to noodle about with in LR.

I took your NEF into LR and worked on it just using LR.
I cropped at the bottom boundary, set black & white points, and made
some other adjustments in the Basic panel including dropping the WB
temperature a tad to deal with the warming color cast of the tinted
glass.

Sharpened in LR, and a smidgen of NR, to get to this:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_985.jpg
https://db.tt/CrEX1FLk

Savageduck

Old October 24th 14, 04:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-10-24 01:57:50 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

[...]

Then just for the Hell of it, I took it into PS CC (2014) and used the
*Adaptive Wide Angle* filter using the buildings in the upper left for
alignment. That gave me a slightly different crop, but a fair amount of
the perspective distortion is fixed.
https://db.tt/UsxHECVm

Savageduck

Old October 24th 14, 04:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

Here is a crop
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ofs-1764-4.jpg

and her is another
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ofs-1764-5.jpg

Old October 24th 14, 04:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 20:05:47 -0700, Savageduck

On 2014-10-24 01:57:50 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

[...]

Not bad for an old D70, is it?

Eric Stevens
Old October 24th 14, 05:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-10-24 01:57:50 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

[...]

I still have mine, and that 18-70mm was a great lens.

Savageduck

Old October 24th 14, 09:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2014-10-24 01:57:50 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

[...]

I am afraid I sold mine. I wouldn't be using it even if I had kept it.

Eric Stevens
Old October 24th 14, 10:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 24/10/2014 04:05, Savageduck wrote:

Then just for the Hell of it, I took it into PS CC (2014) and used the
*Adaptive Wide Angle* filter using the buildings in the upper left for
alignment. That gave me a slightly different crop, but a fair amount of
the perspective distortion is fixed.
https://db.tt/UsxHECVm

That would have been my crop too.