Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 DI Macro Lens for Sony Alpha auto focus problem

Old October 6th 14, 03:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
don tuttle

Default Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 DI Macro Lens for Sony Alpha auto focus problem

Purchased Tamron AFF004S700 SP 90MM F/2.8 DI Macro Lens for Sony Alpha
Camera. First put it on Sony A77. Auto focus fine for about 20 shots,
then AF stopped working. Turned camera off & on, re-seated lens, AF
still didn't work. Put lens on A65. AF would not work. Turned AF off
and on, messed with miscellaneous things (don't remember what), AF
started working again. Took 22 pics, then AF stopped working. Tried all
previous actions but AF will now not work on either camera.

Does auto focus failure sound like faulty unit or could operator error
or inability be the cause?

Thanks for help.
Don
Old October 6th 14, 03:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Don Tuttle wrote:

Purchased Tamron AFF004S700 SP 90MM F/2.8 DI Macro Lens for Sony Alpha
Camera. First put it on Sony A77. Auto focus fine for about 20 shots,
then AF stopped working. Turned camera off & on, re-seated lens, AF
still didn't work. Put lens on A65. AF would not work. Turned AF off
and on, messed with miscellaneous things (don't remember what), AF
started working again. Took 22 pics, then AF stopped working. Tried all
previous actions but AF will now not work on either camera.

Does auto focus failure sound like faulty unit or could operator error
or inability be the cause?

Is it a new or used item? If it's new then send it back.
--
teleportation kills
http://tinyurl.com/androidphotography
Old October 6th 14, 12:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
don tuttle

In article , android

Don Tuttle wrote:

Purchased Tamron AFF004S700 SP 90MM F/2.8 DI Macro Lens for Sony Alpha
Camera. First put it on Sony A77. Auto focus fine for about 20 shots,
then AF stopped working. Turned camera off & on, re-seated lens, AF
still didn't work. Put lens on A65. AF would not work. Turned AF off
and on, messed with miscellaneous things (don't remember what), AF
started working again. Took 22 pics, then AF stopped working. Tried all
previous actions but AF will now not work on either camera.

Does auto focus failure sound like faulty unit or could operator error
or inability be the cause?

Is it a new or used item? If it's new then send it back.

Brand new. Thx for advice. Although I have not read of anyone else
having this problem, I am now spooked re Tamron and am thinking of
getting Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM, which gets good comments on this
site and elsewhere.
Don
Old October 6th 14, 02:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 10/5/2014 10:43 PM, Don Tuttle wrote:

Purchased Tamron AFF004S700 SP 90MM F/2.8 DI Macro Lens for Sony Alpha
Camera. First put it on Sony A77. Auto focus fine for about 20 shots,
then AF stopped working. Turned camera off & on, re-seated lens, AF
still didn't work. Put lens on A65. AF would not work. Turned AF off
and on, messed with miscellaneous things (don't remember what), AF
started working again. Took 22 pics, then AF stopped working. Tried all
previous actions but AF will now not work on either camera.

Does auto focus failure sound like faulty unit or could operator error
or inability be the cause?

Thanks for help.
Don

I admit to a strong prejudice against Sigma. Some of my friends use
Tamron and never had a complaint. Contact Tamron support. They are
pretty good people. Could it possibly be an issue with your camera. If
practical, I would go to the dealer you purchased from, with camera and
lens.
BTW, I rarely use autofocus for macro work.

--
PeterN
Old October 6th 14, 04:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"PeterN" wrote in message
[...]

As Peter said, if you could go to the dealer you purchased it from (if
you didn't buy it online), it would be a good idea. You can test the
replacement lens with your camera to make sure it functions properly.
Most people I know who like to shoot don't use AF for macro work but my
concern, if I were in your shoes, would be that the lens may not be
communicating with the camera properly for more than just the AF. Today
it might be AF but tomorrow it may not communicate exposure settings,
the problem could be more than just with the AF.

Old October 6th 14, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2014.10.05, 22:43 , Don Tuttle wrote:

Purchased Tamron AFF004S700 SP 90MM F/2.8 DI Macro Lens for Sony Alpha
Camera. First put it on Sony A77. Auto focus fine for about 20 shots,
then AF stopped working. Turned camera off & on, re-seated lens, AF
still didn't work. Put lens on A65. AF would not work. Turned AF off
and on, messed with miscellaneous things (don't remember what), AF
started working again. Took 22 pics, then AF stopped working. Tried all
previous actions but AF will now not work on either camera.

Does auto focus failure sound like faulty unit or could operator error
or inability be the cause?

Most likely (unfortunately) a defect.

That said:

1. Some macro lenses have a limit switch to prevent focus hunting so
that you can limit the AF to the "macro end" or the longer distance
end of the focus range.

Is the limit switch engaged? Are you turning it on and off
and on again somehow?

2. are the contacts clean (bayonet area)?
gently swab them with alcohol on both the camera and
lens side.
Optionally: Use an eraser.

CAUTION: don't let the alcohol get into the camera or onto the lens
glass.
CAUTION: don't let the eraser bits get into the camera or lens.

--
Among Broad Outlines, conception is far more pleasurable
than “carrying [the children] to fruition.”

Old October 8th 14, 05:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wally

On Mon, 06 Oct 2014 09:28:08 -0400, PeterN wrote:

BTW, I rarely use autofocus for macro work.

I find AF to be very useful with macro lenses when not working at
macro distances.

Old October 8th 14, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 10/8/2014 12:53 AM, Wally wrote:
On Mon, 06 Oct 2014 09:28:08 -0400, PeterN wrote:

BTW, I rarely use autofocus for macro work.

I find AF to be very useful with macro lenses when not working at
macro distances.

A lot of people use autofocus. I just posted what I do. I actually
stopped using my macro lens and use my 70-200 with extension tubes for
macro and close up work.

Just because we use different techniques, doesn't make any technique
right or wrong, if it's working for the user.

--
PeterN
Old October 23rd 14, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
don tuttle

In article , PAS
wrote:

"PeterN" wrote in message
[...]

Bought it online. Sent it back. Current phototographic subject is bees
and a few other insects, usually moving, therefore AF. Got another
Tamron, experienced similar problems (though rare, but enough to make
me lack confidence) when used with both A65 and A77. Am sending it back
and getting a Sigma. Thanks for all help/advice.

Don
Old October 23rd 14, 10:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Oregonian Haruspex

On 2014-10-06 11:39:07 +0000, Don Tuttle said:

In article , android

Don Tuttle wrote:

[...]

I don't want to spoil the party but why don't you pony up for the
genuine Sony brand macro lens? Another option is to get a nice manual
focus lens - autofocus isn't that great for macro, and AF macro lenses
have a very short portion of the focusing helicoid devoted to longer
distances, making autofocus less precise as the subject distances
increases. I believe several mount adapters are available for the Sony.

I believe that camera manufacturers take active measures to ensure that
their cameras work "best" with their own lenses, and I also think that
Sigma and Tamron are both very bodget oriented (if you get my drift)
with the exception of the lenses at the very top of their lines, which
cost about the same as the camera manufacturer's lenses.