Photo Sharing Sites

Old May 22nd 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Photo Sharing Sites

I'm new to photosharing over the internet. I've gotten tired of sending
large attachments to friends and relatives, and would like to place the
photos somewhere and then let them go look for themselves, and if they
want to, download digital copies (the same resolutions that I have, not
reduced). In other words, it would be a way to transfer digital photos
from me to them. Neither I nor they care about ordering prints or photo
editing tools. If we have the original digital files, we can do that.

I've been looking at places like Flickr, Yahoo Photos, Koday Easy Share,
Snapfish, Photobucket, Picasa, and Shutterfly. Kodak (Ofoto?) seems to
display the largest size pictures on their site, which is nice for
viewing, but I don't think even they work in such a way that I can use
their site to place original for others to download.

None of the sites give enough information, some more than others, and the
only way to see how they operate is to join. I also wonder how these
programs affect my pc. I think Kodak (or Picasa?) drops little thumbnail
or index files in every one of the photo folders it finds on my hard
drive, if I decide to let it search my hard drive.

Should I be looking at something like pBase? I don't mind paying
something reasonable.

TIA
Old May 22nd 06, 05:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Jeff wrote:
[...]

Flickr is free with some limitations. If you like it you can pay $24.95
/ year and have the limitations removed. The main limitations are only
being able to easily access the last 200 photos you uploaded, seeing
them at a resolution no higher than 1024, being limited to three albums
(Flickr calls them sets), being limited to an upload bandwidth of 20mb
(no limit on download bandwidth) and seeing ads. If you pay the fee, you
can see all the photos up to the resolution you uploaded them, have as
many albums as you want, limited to 2GB of upload bandwidth and you
don't see any ads.

--
- Barry
Old May 22nd 06, 05:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Jeff wrote:
[...]

www.pbase.com

You can upload the full res original to your heart's content...at a
reasonable price...and it will automatically create large/medium/small
versions of it so that on-line viewing is easier.

Old May 22nd 06, 05:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Barry L. Wallis" wrote in

Jeff wrote:
[...]

Sounds reasonable, and like it might fit the bill.
Thank you
Old May 22nd 06, 07:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Jeff" wrote in message
I'm new to photosharing over the internet. I've gotten tired of sending
large attachments to friends and relatives, and would like to place the
photos somewhere and then let them go look for themselves, and if they
want to, download digital copies (the same resolutions that I have, not
reduced). In other words, it would be a way to transfer digital photos
from me to them. Neither I nor they care about ordering prints or photo
editing tools. If we have the original digital files, we can do that.

....snip...

Get thee hence to fototime. http://www.fototime.com

/M

Old May 22nd 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

ppp wrote:
[...]

Dropload is free, and applies to all files, not just photos. You upload the
file(s) and they inform your friends, who can then download them within a
set time period, after which they will be deleted.

Old May 22nd 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Moro Grubb of Little Delving wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message
I'm new to photosharing over the internet. I've gotten tired of
sending large attachments to friends and relatives, and would like
to place the photos somewhere and then let them go look for
themselves, and if they want to, download digital copies (the same
resolutions that I have, not reduced). In other words, it would be
a way to transfer digital photos from me to them. Neither I nor
they care about ordering prints or photo editing tools. If we have
the original digital files, we can do that. ...snip...

Get thee hence to fototime. http://www.fototime.com

/M

I have more than 7,000 images in various file sizes, and a few videos,
on Fototime.com.

You can allow access to one image by URL, or albums of images.

There is a print service (photo club, I think), and other services.

Everything has been very good or better during the nearly three years
I've used them

Check out a couple albums at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/890EFEBAECF98EE and
http://www.fototime.com/inv/446F91A7688BF04

--
Frank ess

Old May 23rd 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Jeff wrote:
[...]

Hi Jeff!

www.fotopic.net is worth considering. 250 MB of free space and no
restrictions on size that I know of (I have 5 MP pics there in
fullsize), although I think they do tend to recompress the images.
Another neat feature is that you can pick your own url for the gallery:
http://pick any name.fotopic.net
If anyone knows a website that allows one to store more pics I'd love
to hear about it.

My pics at www.fotopic.net:
http://dohduhdah.fotopic.net

Old May 23rd 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Frank ess" wrote in news:ML6dnYVHhahKh-
:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/890EFEBAECF98EE

I signed your guestbook. Thank you very much for letting me see what the
interface looked like.