iPad use with Catalina

Old October 26th 19, 03:16 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system, comp.mobile.ipad, uk.comp.sys.mac, rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default iPad use with Catalina

On Oct 26, 2019, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In article1og1k10.157rbux9bdgmbN%totallydeadmailbox@ yahoo.co.uk, The
Older Gentleman wrote:

The Zenit, like the Praktika, was the ideal tool to learn about the
relationship between shutter speed, aperture, ASA rating and depth of
field.

actually, a digital camera is a *much* better tool for learning that
and quite a bit more.

Not in 1952 it wasn’t!

Nobody seems to learn about it these days. I apply the lessons to
the Leica, as (of course) it's not AF.

plenty of people didn't learn about it with film.

Plenty of people learned the fundamentals of photography long before there
were digital cameras. I certainly did, and I believe give the fact that many
of us in this NG are in their late 60s to mid 80s that they learned their
photography using film.

Then we also have the millennials who have no understanding of film, or
photography, just smartphone selfies.

Savageduck

Old October 26th 19, 03:29 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac,rec.photo.digital
RJH

On 26/10/2019 15:04, nospam wrote:
In article , RJH
wrote:

The Zenit, like the Praktika, was the ideal tool to learn about the
relationship between shutter speed, aperture, ASA rating and depth of
field.

actually, a digital camera is a *much* better tool for learning that
and quite a bit more.

*was*

still is, very much so.

FFS. This could take a while!

--
Cheers, Rob
Old October 26th 19, 03:37 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad,uk.comp.sys.mac,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

The Zenit, like the Praktika, was the ideal tool to learn about the
relationship between shutter speed, aperture, ASA rating and depth of
field.

actually, a digital camera is a *much* better tool for learning that
and quite a bit more.

Not in 1952 it wasn¹t!

it ain't 1952 anymore, despite how much some people might want it to be.

Nobody seems to learn about it these days. I apply the lessons to
the Leica, as (of course) it's not AF.

plenty of people didn't learn about it with film.

Plenty of people learned the fundamentals of photography long before there
were digital cameras. I certainly did, and I believe give the fact that many
of us in this NG are in their late 60s to mid 80s that they learned their
photography using film.

nobody said otherwise.

the point is that it's much, much easier to learn all about photography
with digital cameras. it's not even remotely close.

in fact, you don't even need a camera because it can be done entirely
on a computer:
http://www.andersenimages.com/tutorials/exposure-simulator/
https://dima.fi/exposure/
http://bethecamera.com

there are also countless hours of tutorial videos online, along with
how-to instructional websites, discussion forums and much more.

none of that was possible in 1952.

learning photography today is *much* easier than it's ever been.

Then we also have the millennials who have no understanding of film, or
photography, just smartphone selfies.

they're also creating much better photos than what could be done in
1952, with significantly fewer mistakes (which with film cost money)
and shared with far more people.

also, there were plenty of people who didn't understand the basics of
photography in 1952, who were using brownie box cameras, and later,
instamatic and polaroid cameras.
Old October 26th 19, 03:37 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad,uk.comp.sys.mac,rec.photo.digital
The Older Gentleman

Andy Hewitt wrote:

I got an Olympus OM-10 as my first SLR.

Having said that, some of my favourite photos over time (simply because
of the memories they have) were with cheap old 110 cartridge film cameras.

I graduated to a Pentax ME Super, or rather, two. Entirely echo your
comments about 110 cameras. I had an Agfa one, and it was great - until
stolen.

--
BMW K1600GTL; Kawasaki Ninja H2, Yamaha 660 Ténéré;
Guzzi Le Mans Mk.2; CD200x2, CB400F, Suzuki Address
Old October 26th 19, 03:37 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad,uk.comp.sys.mac,rec.photo.digital
The Older Gentleman

Savageduck wrote:

Not in 1952 it wasn't!

Nor 28 years later, when I bought my Zenit :-)

Who *is* this arsehole, anyway?

Old October 26th 19, 04:50 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad,uk.comp.sys.mac,rec.photo.digital
Andy Hewitt[_3_]

On 26/10/2019 15:37, The Older Gentleman wrote:
Andy Hewitt wrote:

I got an Olympus OM-10 as my first SLR.

Having said that, some of my favourite photos over time (simply because
of the memories they have) were with cheap old 110 cartridge film cameras.

I graduated to a Pentax ME Super, or rather, two. Entirely echo your
comments about 110 cameras. I had an Agfa one, and it was great - until
stolen.

They had the benefit of being pocket-able, so were more likely to be
carried about and handy to shoot with at any time.

I first learnt taking photos on my Mum's old Brownie, then getting a 126
cartridge camera (might have been a Halina or Hanimex) using vouchers
off old Tate & Lyle sugar bags before getting the 110.

--
Andy Hewitt
Old October 26th 19, 07:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Sat, 26 Oct 2019 06:53:32 +0100,
(The Older Gentleman) wrote:

BMW K1600GTL; Kawasaki Ninja H2,

H2???? What exactly do you mean by "older" gentleman?
Old October 26th 19, 11:33 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad,uk.comp.sys.mac,rec.photo.digital
Andy Hewitt[_3_]

Andy Hewitt wrote:

I got an Olympus OM-10 as my first SLR.

Having said that, some of my favourite photos over time (simply because
of the memories they have) were with cheap old 110 cartridge film cameras.

I graduated to a Pentax ME Super, or rather, two. Entirely echo your
comments about 110 cameras. I had an Agfa one, and it was great - until
stolen.

They had the benefit of being pocket-able, so were more likely to be
carried about and handy to shoot with at any time.

And a 5 year old iPhone takes photos that are many orders of magnitude
better, and the device is just as pocketable and much more versatile.
And it shoots 1080p video too.

Define 'better'.

Video does not interest me.

I first learnt taking photos on my Mum's old Brownie, then getting a 126
cartridge camera (might have been a Halina or Hanimex) using vouchers
off old Tate & Lyle sugar bags before getting the 110.

That's nice. Not relevant to 2019 at all though.

More than you'd think.

--
Andy Hewitt