Nikon 995

Old July 23rd 17, 07:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Default Nikon 995

Tony Cooper:
He *encourages* them to use real cameras...

That betrays your smug, dogmatic, and prejudicial mindset. I googled
"award-winning movies iphone" and got 10 million results. I didn't go
through all of them, but many are impressive. Like Malik Bendjelloul,
who won an Oscar for his documentary "Searching for Sugar Man." He
turned to his iPhone and a $2 Super 8 emulator app to complete the film
as his money for buying Super 8 film was exhausted. Try to explain to
him and the Academy how the iPhone is not a real camera. This is a
settled issue outside of nose-in-the-air circles. In fact, it never was
a question outside those circles.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old July 23rd 17, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/23/2017 2:28 PM, Davoud wrote:
nospam:
the reality is that smartphones are widely used in photojournalism...

PeterN:
Please explain what you mean by "widely used."

I think that I can explain what that means, and in simple terms. In
Washington, D.C., where lots of news stills and videos are shot in
public places, one sees many journalists using iPhones. The advantages,
they say, are all centered around economics. High-quality stills and
video, delivered immediately to the newspaper office/TV studio, no
expensive Sonys or cameramen needed. One still sees the three-person
team occasionally--journalist, cameraman, sound man. But that's
becoming rarer.

I am well aware of the meaning of the term. Since it is not an absolute
value, I wanted to know how nospam used it. In the past nospam has used
a term and then said he meant something else, in an attempt to claim
plausible ambiguity. Just look at some of his prior statements. "Nobody
wants ....." When pressed a wiggle expression such as: "most
people....," or "you're picking on words," or, it's irrelevant.

--
PeterN
Old July 23rd 17, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

nope.

Just look at some of his prior statements. "Nobody
wants ....." When pressed a wiggle expression such as: "most
people....," or "you're picking on words," or, it's irrelevant.

english is clearly not your native language.

might you be deported?
Old July 23rd 17, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

PeterN:
...I wanted to know how nospam used it. In the past nospam has used
a term and then said he meant something else, in an attempt to claim
plausible ambiguity. Just look at some of his prior statements. "Nobody
wants ....." When pressed a wiggle expression such as: "most
people....," or "you're picking on words," or, it's irrelevant.

I wasn't speaking for nospam, who is in my kill-file. Maybe you are
being a bit picky about words. There is nothing wrong with the
hyperbolic words "Nobody" and "Everybody" when one means "relatively
few" or "a lot of people." Nobody wants to have an automobile wreck."
That's not true; some people wreck their cars intentionally. "Everybody
watches Sunday night football." (It was #1 in 2016/17 per TV Guide.) (I
don't watch football.) But they're still reasonable statements in the
context of hyperbole.

Old July 23rd 17, 11:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I don't understand why you feel it is objectionable to encourage 12
and 13 year-olds to learn to use a dslr.

it's a skill they won't need in the future.
Old July 23rd 17, 11:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I don't understand why you feel it is objectionable to encourage 12
and 13 year-olds to learn to use a dslr.

it's a skill they won't need in the future.

And, evidently, a skill you didn't acquire in the past.

you contribute nothing to the discussion other than insults.
Old July 23rd 17, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 7/23/2017 6:11 PM, Davoud wrote:
PeterN:
...I wanted to know how nospam used it. In the past nospam has used
a term and then said he meant something else, in an attempt to claim
plausible ambiguity. Just look at some of his prior statements. "Nobody
wants ....." When pressed a wiggle expression such as: "most
people....," or "you're picking on words," or, it's irrelevant.

I wasn't speaking for nospam, who is in my kill-file. Maybe you are
being a bit picky about words. There is nothing wrong with the
hyperbolic words "Nobody" and "Everybody" when one means "relatively
few" or "a lot of people." Nobody wants to have an automobile wreck."
That's not true; some people wreck their cars intentionally. "Everybody
watches Sunday night football." (It was #1 in 2016/17 per TV Guide.) (I
don't watch football.) But they're still reasonable statements in the
context of hyperbole.

However, when speaking of this [yearbook or school news paper
photographers] subset of the universe of all people who take photographs
the hyperbolic "Nobody" and "Everybody" seems to be a stretch.

I suspect very few people that self identify as photographers select their
phone's camera as their primary tool of choice.

[YMMV]
--
==
Later....

---
http://www.avg.com

Old July 23rd 17, 11:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ron C
wrote:

I suspect very few people that self identify as photographers select their
phone's camera as their primary tool of choice.

it depends what they're shooting, but for most things, a phone is more
than adequate and fits in a pocket, leaving an slr only for very
specific situations.
Old July 24th 17, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Davoud:
There is nothing wrong with the
hyperbolic words "Nobody" and "Everybody" when one means "relatively
few" or "a lot of people."

Ron C:
I suspect very few people that self identify as photographers select their
phone's camera as their primary tool of choice.

Does one need to self-identify as a photographer to be a photographer?
What does it mean to be a photographer? Just making photographs is not
enough? Of all the people in the world who make photographs, the iPhone
leads all other cameras. Ergo, IF people who make photographs are
photographers, THEN it's not very few but very many. Indeed, with the
advent of the iPhone, "everyone" is a photographer.

Old July 24th 17, 01:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 7/23/2017 8:08 PM, Davoud wrote:
Davoud:
There is nothing wrong with the
hyperbolic words "Nobody" and "Everybody" when one means "relatively
few" or "a lot of people."

Ron C:
I suspect very few people that self identify as photographers select their
phone's camera as their primary tool of choice.

Does one need to self-identify as a photographer to be a photographer?
What does it mean to be a photographer? Just making photographs is not
enough? Of all the people in the world who make photographs, the iPhone
leads all other cameras. Ergo, IF people who make photographs are
photographers, THEN it's not very few but very many. Indeed, with the
advent of the iPhone, "everyone" is a photographer.

No, but establishes a rather broad subset that is smaller than the universe
of all people who "snap" photos. Peter N suggested a different sub set
that is also smaller than that universe. However, I submit there is a small
probability that some people that self-identify as photographers have never
taken a photograph. There are many ways to define subsets related to
photography, and, yes, the subset I suggested is quite arbitrary.

Pedantics vs set theory.

[YMMV]

---
http://www.avg.com