New Jersey

Old July 18th 17, 03:01 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default New Jersey

Not long ago someone here disparaged New Jersey as a nice photo subject.
The shots were taken in downtown Patterson, N.J.
I will go back at sunrise.

Just an overview
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q22waehnm26em3p/20170717_2244.jpg?dl=0

Detail of the waterfall
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9pawfecp7z1evw7/20170717_2268.jpg?dl=0

--
PeterN
Old July 18th 17, 03:49 AM posted to alt.photography, rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 17, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

Not long ago someone here disparaged New Jersey as a nice photo subject.
The shots were taken in downtown Patterson, N.J.
I will go back at sunrise.

I gather you are on a roadtrip, or perhaps just an extended drive from home?

A long time ago, in a different life, in one of my first post college jobs, I
worked just South of Paterson, for Schering-Plough in Kenilworth, N.J., and
then in my next job with American Cyanamid, right next door in Wayne, N.J.
just across the Passaic River from Paterson. (...and yes, it is spelt with
one “T”.)

From an industrial perspective, Paterson has an interesting history as it is
where Samuel Colt produced his first revolvers, the “Paterson Colt”.
Unfortunately for Colt struggled financially there, and had to relocate and
start over in Hartford, C.T..

Just an overview
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q22waehnm26em3p/20170717_2244.jpg?dl=0

That seems to be a workable scene, and a nice shot. I always thought of the
area as a little bleaker, but that was some 43 years ago.

Detail of the waterfall
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9pawfecp7z1evw7/20170717_2268.jpg?dl=0

Falls with potential, and a few questions I can think of:
What sort of effect were you looking for?

Did you have a tripod available?

Why f/36, and 1/15?

If you were trying for a long exposure, why not work with an appropriate ND
filter, if you have one available?
If you don’t have one handy, perhaps a quick visit to B&H, or Adorama is in
order.

Savageduck

Old July 18th 17, 03:50 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 7/17/2017 10:01 PM, PeterN wrote:
Not long ago someone here disparaged New Jersey as a nice photo subject.
The shots were taken in downtown Patterson, N.J.
I will go back at sunrise.

Just an overview
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q22waehnm26em3p/20170717_2244.jpg?dl=0

Detail of the waterfall
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9pawfecp7z1evw7/20170717_2268.jpg?dl=0

Not quite Patterson falls .. just a local NJ park:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/roo14a35au...20Park%20A.jpg

~~
Now here's a NJ shot few people get to see:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4nc4q5ocs...0Picnic%20.jpg
--
==
Later...

---
http://www.avg.com

Old July 18th 17, 04:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

Savageduck wrote:
If you were trying for a long exposure, why not work with an appropriate ND
filter, if you have one available?
If you don’t have one handy, perhaps a quick visit to B&H, or Adorama is in order.

Unique Photo, Rt 46 in Fairfield, NJ ... only 10 miles from Paterson's Great Falls.

-hh
Old July 18th 17, 04:47 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Ron C:
Now here's a NJ shot few people get to see:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4nc4q5ocs...0Picnic%20.jpg

For those who don't recognize it, here's a hint. Radio waves went in
and a Nobel Prize came out.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old July 18th 17, 07:33 AM posted to alt.photography, rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 17, 2017, Davoud wrote
(in article ):

Ron C:
Now here's a NJ shot few people get to see:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4nc4q5ocse70qc/138a-HOH%20Picnic%20.jpg

For those who don't recognize it, here's a hint. Radio waves went in
and a Nobel Prize came out.

Aah! Wilson & Penzias, so a shared Nobel Prize.

Savageduck

Old July 18th 17, 08:31 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
David B.[_3_]

On 18-Jul-17 7:33 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 17, 2017, Davoud wrote
(in article ):

Ron C:
Now here's a NJ shot few people get to see:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4nc4q5ocse70qc/138a-HOH%20Picnic%20.jpg

For those who don't recognize it, here's a hint. Radio waves went in
and a Nobel Prize came out.

Aah! Wilson & Penzias, so a shared Nobel Prize.

Ha! *NOW* I understand! :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discov...rd_Hill_NJ.jpg

--
David B.

I learn a lot on Usenet!
Old July 18th 17, 02:25 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/17/2017 10:49 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 17, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

Not long ago someone here disparaged New Jersey as a nice photo subject.
The shots were taken in downtown Patterson, N.J.
I will go back at sunrise.

I gather you are on a roadtrip, or perhaps just an extended drive from home?

A long time ago, in a different life, in one of my first post college jobs, I
worked just South of Paterson, for Schering-Plough in Kenilworth, N.J., and
then in my next job with American Cyanamid, right next door in Wayne, N.J.
just across the Passaic River from Paterson. (...and yes, it is spelt with
one “T”.)

From an industrial perspective, Paterson has an interesting history as it is
where Samuel Colt produced his first revolvers, the “Paterson Colt”.
Unfortunately for Colt struggled financially there, and had to relocate and
start over in Hartford, C.T..

Just an overview
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q22waehnm26em3p/20170717_2244.jpg?dl=0

That seems to be a workable scene, and a nice shot. I always thought of the
area as a little bleaker, but that was some 43 years ago.

Detail of the waterfall
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9pawfecp7z1evw7/20170717_2268.jpg?dl=0

Falls with potential, and a few questions I can think of:
What sort of effect were you looking for?

Did you have a tripod available?

No. If I have to walk any distance, I cannot carry a tripod

Why f/36, and 1/15?

IIRC ISO 100, shutter priority. Yes I should have closed down my
variable ND.

Old July 18th 17, 02:27 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/17/2017 10:50 PM, Ron C wrote:
On 7/17/2017 10:01 PM, PeterN wrote:
Not long ago someone here disparaged New Jersey as a nice photo subject.
The shots were taken in downtown Patterson, N.J.
I will go back at sunrise.

Just an overview
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q22waehnm26em3p/20170717_2244.jpg?dl=0

Detail of the waterfall
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9pawfecp7z1evw7/20170717_2268.jpg?dl=0

Not quite Patterson falls .. just a local NJ park:

Nope. Great Falls in Paterson.

Old July 18th 17, 02:37 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/17/2017 10:49 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 17, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

Not long ago someone here disparaged New Jersey as a nice photo subject.
The shots were taken in downtown Patterson, N.J.
I will go back at sunrise.

I gather you are on a roadtrip, or perhaps just an extended drive from home?

Just a Sunday morning with some friends from my CC.

A long time ago, in a different life, in one of my first post college jobs, I
worked just South of Paterson, for Schering-Plough in Kenilworth, N.J., and
then in my next job with American Cyanamid, right next door in Wayne, N.J.
just across the Passaic River from Paterson. (...and yes, it is spelt with
one â €œT”.)

Phat brain.

There are some really interesting buildings in that area, a lot of which
are abandoned. We were thinking about doing some abandoned buildings
shots, but decided that might not be the smartest thing to do in that
neighborhood.

From an industrial perspective, Paterson has an interesting history as it is
where Samuel Colt produced his first revolvers, the “Paterson Colt”.
Unfortunately for Colt struggled financially there, and had to relocate and
start over in Hartford, C.T..

Just an overview
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q22waehnm26em3p/20170717_2244.jpg?dl=0

That seems to be a workable scene, and a nice shot. I always thought of the
area as a little bleaker, but that was some 43 years ago.

It is now a National Park.