FileView Pro

Old July 15th 17, 04:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default FileView Pro

This thrust itself on me as able to read Corel Photo Paint files so I
went to its web page. There was a blurb including a McAfee logo,
presumably testifying to its purity. I clicked to download the
installer and was immediatel stopped with a large McAfee warning
screen. I tried from two different entry point and hit the same result
each time. Does anyone know what is buried in the installer or the
application which makes McAfee dislike it?

Eric Stevens
Old July 15th 17, 04:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 15:11:44 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

This thrust itself on me as able to read Corel Photo Paint files so I
went to its web page. There was a blurb including a McAfee logo,
presumably testifying to its purity. I clicked to download the
installer and was immediatel stopped with a large McAfee warning
screen. I tried from two different entry point and hit the same result
each time. Does anyone know what is buried in the installer or the
application which makes McAfee dislike it?

Google "fileviewpro malware", then make a decision. It looks like the
installer includes some unwanted programs, although they might not be
dangerous. Look for the newest hits, though. Overall, there are
probably better choices out there.
Old July 15th 17, 04:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 14, 2017, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

This thrust itself on me as able to read Corel Photo Paint files so I
went to its web page. There was a blurb including a McAfee logo,
presumably testifying to its purity. I clicked to download the
installer and was immediatel stopped with a large McAfee warning
screen. I tried from two different entry point and hit the same result
each time. Does anyone know what is buried in the installer or the
application which makes McAfee dislike it?

FileView Pro seems to be a bad choice with all sorts of stuff installed all
over your Win system.
I found this:
http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/FileViewPro-23321-program.aspx
http://botcrawl.com/fileviewpro/

It seems that it isn’t worth the heartache.

Savageduck

Old July 15th 17, 05:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

This thrust itself on me as able to read Corel Photo Paint files so I
went to its web page. There was a blurb including a McAfee logo,
presumably testifying to its purity. I clicked to download the
installer and was immediatel stopped with a large McAfee warning
screen. I tried from two different entry point and hit the same result
each time. Does anyone know what is buried in the installer or the
application which makes McAfee dislike it?

Google "fileviewpro malware", then make a decision. It looks like the
installer includes some unwanted programs, although they might not be
dangerous. Look for the newest hits, though. Overall, there are
probably better choices out there.

Bangs head on desk. I should have thought of that.

I found
http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/en-us/w...ileviewpro.com
and a related side track caused McAfee to lead me to
https://www.mcafee.com/threat-intell...wpro-free.html
or http://tinyurl.com/y9teknhf

I think I will leave it alone.

Eric Stevens
Old July 15th 17, 06:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 20:39:49 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jul 14, 2017, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

This thrust itself on me as able to read Corel Photo Paint files so I
went to its web page. There was a blurb including a McAfee logo,
presumably testifying to its purity. I clicked to download the
installer and was immediatel stopped with a large McAfee warning
screen. I tried from two different entry point and hit the same result
each time. Does anyone know what is buried in the installer or the
application which makes McAfee dislike it?

FileView Pro seems to be a bad choice with all sorts of stuff installed all
over your Win system.
I found this:
http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/FileViewPro-23321-program.aspx
http://botcrawl.com/fileviewpro/

It seems that it isn’t worth the heartache.

Agreed. In any case I use Malwarebytes and it seems as though it will
find all the various nasties and want to remove them There is no point
in my trying to install FileView.

Eric Stevens
Old July 15th 17, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Eric Stevens" wrote

| I found

http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/en-us/w...ileviewpro.com
| and a related side track caused McAfee to lead me to

https://www.mcafee.com/threat-intell...wpro-free.html
| or http://tinyurl.com/y9teknhf

I wouldn't put much stock in those things. The trend
these days is xenophobia disguised as high-tech security.
Malwarebytes, especially, is overkill to the point of
being malware itself, if you define malware as something
that might harm your system. Various AV programs are
increasingly taking a "reputation" approach, as can be
seen at the McAfee site. Do they say FVP is a problem?
No. They just say it might be hanging around with the
wrong crowd. These days, anything that's not a product
with digital signature from a large, commercial entity is
deemed suspicious. It's become suburban, ninny-headed
paranoia, playing right into the hands of those big
companies who want you to stay in their shopping mall.

That aside, a lot can be discerned from the site:

* Opens all files? That's absurd. (The footnote explains that
it might just open them in a hex editor.)

* The download page is clearly designed for beginners who
can't find the file they downloaded.

* The kiddie-style UI is clearly designed for beginners.

* There's no mention of free. It turns out the program
is $40/year! It makes Adobe look honest.

* The download is less than 2 MB. It's almost certainly
an online installer, with no offline installer. That means
you'd be letting them have access to your system. Or
it may be a local applet that uses their site to open files.
2 MB couldn't possibly contain what they advertise. Maybe
their site links to various file services online.

So it's probably a bit scammy, but may actually work.
I don't see any indication that it's dangerous. It looks to
me like a legitimate product that's designed to fleece
beginners. Then again, so is anti-virus software and
many other popular programs. If it's easy to use and does
what people want, they'll pay for it. Malware doesn't
charge $40/year, but sleazeware might.

Personally I like to collect info on the best software for
different uses. I think there's a lot of variation even
among non-malware, legitimate software. I was going
to offer to convert them for you with PSP, but when I
checked the Open File dialogue it didn't list CPT. I have
PSP16. So I guess CPT is fairly new.

I often find it helpful to just look up the extension
for files. This page claims XNView will open CPT files,
but their site only claims up to v. 6 of the format.

https://fileinfo.com/extension/cpt
http://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/

If it were me I might consider finding a friend who
uses Corel, or downloading a demo version. Then just
convert all of your CPT files to TIF or BMP. CPT is
their own proprietary format. There's little reason for
anyone else to attempt supporting it because it's
only used by people who have the software.

Old July 15th 17, 11:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 09:48:04 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

"Eric Stevens" wrote

| I found

http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/en-us/w...ileviewpro.com
| and a related side track caused McAfee to lead me to

https://www.mcafee.com/threat-intell...wpro-free.html
| or http://tinyurl.com/y9teknhf

I wouldn't put much stock in those things. The trend
these days is xenophobia disguised as high-tech security.
Malwarebytes, especially, is overkill to the point of
being malware itself, if you define malware as something
that might harm your system. Various AV programs are
increasingly taking a "reputation" approach, as can be
seen at the McAfee site. Do they say FVP is a problem?
No. They just say it might be hanging around with the
wrong crowd. These days, anything that's not a product
with digital signature from a large, commercial entity is
deemed suspicious. It's become suburban, ninny-headed
paranoia, playing right into the hands of those big
companies who want you to stay in their shopping mall.

That aside, a lot can be discerned from the site:

* Opens all files? That's absurd. (The footnote explains that
it might just open them in a hex editor.)

* The download page is clearly designed for beginners who
can't find the file they downloaded.

* The kiddie-style UI is clearly designed for beginners.

* There's no mention of free. It turns out the program
is $40/year! It makes Adobe look honest.

* The download is less than 2 MB. It's almost certainly
an online installer, with no offline installer. That means
you'd be letting them have access to your system. Or
it may be a local applet that uses their site to open files.
2 MB couldn't possibly contain what they advertise. Maybe
their site links to various file services online.

So it's probably a bit scammy, but may actually work.
I don't see any indication that it's dangerous. It looks to
me like a legitimate product that's designed to fleece
beginners. Then again, so is anti-virus software and
many other popular programs. If it's easy to use and does
what people want, they'll pay for it. Malware doesn't
charge $40/year, but sleazeware might.

Personally I like to collect info on the best software for
different uses. I think there's a lot of variation even
among non-malware, legitimate software. I was going
to offer to convert them for you with PSP, but when I
checked the Open File dialogue it didn't list CPT. I have
PSP16. So I guess CPT is fairly new.

CPT is about 20 years old. I have PSP and have long bemoaned it's
inability to open Core Photopaint files.