A Different take on Post Processing

Old July 19th 17, 06:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

Default A Different take on Post Processing

On Jul 19, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 11:43:07 -0400, wrote:

Bill W:
I'm definitely in the pro-HDR camp...

I repeat: "Hell, there are people out there who still think that
so-called HDR is cool!"

It's a tool. You snipped an essential part of my post, and completely
changed the meaning.

Davoud is of the anti-HDR school because of over-cooked, oversaturated,
poorly processed early examples, and something he wouldn’t consider using.
He is thus prepared to discount all HDR, and the process, regardless of how
subtle, and how well it can be done. His remark is obviously intended to be
demeaning, and an insult.

Personally, I have never heard HDR described as “cool”.

Savageduck

Old July 19th 17, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photograph
Bill W

On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 10:10:11 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jul 19, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 11:43:07 -0400, wrote:

Bill W:
I'm definitely in the pro-HDR camp...

I repeat: "Hell, there are people out there who still think that
so-called HDR is cool!"

It's a tool. You snipped an essential part of my post, and completely
changed the meaning.

Davoud is of the anti-HDR school because of over-cooked, oversaturated,
poorly processed early examples, and something he wouldnt consider using.
He is thus prepared to discount all HDR, and the process, regardless of how
subtle, and how well it can be done. His remark is obviously intended to be
demeaning, and an insult.

And this just goes back to what most of us agree on: why limit your
options? It's a tool, it can be useful, it's free with LR. Use when
needed, that's all.

Personally, I have never heard HDR described as cool.

I'm sure it has been, but probably not by serious photographers. And I
don't even fault those photogs that use it to produce that crap we've
all seen. Everyone needs to make some money, and some people happily
buy that crap. So, whatever. Some folks just take themselves too
seriously.
Old July 20th 17, 05:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/19/2017 10:34 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

The reason we take 5 is that Nikon only does an auto increase of
one stop, and a two stop differential is all that is needed.

that's user configurable.

So which Nikon has a two stop differential when using auto-bracketing. I
am not talking about manual bracketing.

many of them, some even more than 2 stops.

rtfm or even rtfs.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d750/spec.htm
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d810/spec.htm
Exposure bracketing
2 to 9 frames in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 or 1 EV; 2 to 5 frames in
steps of 2 or 3 EV

set it to 5 frames @ 3v. that should do you just fine.

That's 2 out of how many?

But you'd rather make an exception.

--
PeterN
Old July 20th 17, 05:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/19/2017 10:46 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 19, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 7/18/2017 9:46 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 18, 2017, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

On Jul 18, 2017, Ron C wrote
(in ):

On 7/18/2017 9:49 AM, PeterN wrote:
On 7/17/2017 11:43 PM, Davoud wrote:
Ron C:
I'm really confused.
Seems 'we've' spent a tremendous amount of time here
talking about how critical monitor calibration is for photo
accuracy and quality, yet here folks are talking about
in-camera adjustments using the totally un-calibrated
tiny display in the camera.

What am I missing?

I don't think your missing anything; you seem to grasp it. Computer
editing as needed for those to whom image quality is important, camera
tricks for the rest. Hell, there are people out there who still think
that so-called HDR is cool!

HDR can be a useful tool. Yes there are some who like the Harry Potter
effect one gets from overdoing it. However, digital manipulation is an
art form in itself. Some like it, some don't. It depends on taste and
the particular image.
I freely admit to frequently going over the top. I kind of like surreal
stuff.

Anyway, over the top seems like the right mood for my summer twitter
header:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ivd7br484ff5m7/Summer%20Header-2017%5Ba%5D.jpg

Then there's this cartoonish snapshot rendition:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v0ek2w2oech6fko/Summer%5Ba%5D.jpg

and lastly this somewhat less extreme HDR of a Jersey Shore moment:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4zz7lgm4ehez4n/2355~57%20Shore%231a.jpg

Here are two comparison examples of a 0 EV exposure compared with two
different HDR renderings from five exposure brackets:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ti0njqepyzd6v1c/screenshot_105.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0uiev77xa2ovjru/screenshot_106.jpg

...and a another single comparison of a0 EV shot against a 5 exposure
bracket
HDR:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4gv068hyodc2rjy/screenshot_107.jpg

According to my understanding, one can get a good HDR image with 3
shots. The reason we take 5 is that Nikon only does an auto increase of
one stop, and a two stop differential is all that is needed.

The important thing is to establish an increase to the highlight/shadows DR.
The size of the differential is going to be dictated by your intention. My
habit with the Nikon is to shoot a 5 shot bracket with a 1 stop interval.
That ends up as a 4 stop range, -2/-1/0/+1/+2 differential.
Now that I have the Fujifilm X-T2 I have the option to shoot brackets of 2,
3, 5, 7, or 9 frames with intervals of ±1/3 to ±3 stops in 1/3 steps.
However, I find that with the X-T2 the shadow detail recoveryfrom the RAW
files is so good that, these days I have little need to go to HDR unless I
plan to. I suspect you find the D500 to be similar in that respect.

With a single exposure that has detail lost in the shadows, one of the best
tools available is Lightroom. It is a quick and simple technique:
1: Create a virtual copy.
2: In the Develop Modual with the original adjust the *Exposure* slider to
+3.00 and with the virtual copy to -3.00.
3: Select both in the *Film Strip* and right click, select *Photo
Merge*-*HDR*.
4: This will produce a DNG which can be edited/adjusted as a 32-bit RAW file.
The range of the exposure slider will go from the normal -5/+5 to -10/+10.
All other adjustments benefit, and the result is quite subtle.

This is far less of a hassle than doing the similar thing with ACR and PS.

Since I have LR, I will compare your method, with the way I have been
doing it it ACR. When I have one image, I have been making three images,
overexposing one by two stops, and underexposing one by two stops, then
combining the three images. As has been said many times before, there
are several ways of doing things in PS 7 LR. The best way is the one
that works for you.

--
PeterN
Old July 20th 17, 05:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

The reason we take 5 is that Nikon only does an auto increase of
one stop, and a two stop differential is all that is needed.

that's user configurable.

So which Nikon has a two stop differential when using auto-bracketing. I
am not talking about manual bracketing.

many of them, some even more than 2 stops.

rtfm or even rtfs.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d750/spec.htm
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d810/spec.htm
Exposure bracketing
2 to 9 frames in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 or 1 EV; 2 to 5 frames in
steps of 2 or 3 EV

set it to 5 frames @ 3v. that should do you just fine.

That's 2 out of how many?

here's mo
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7100/spec.htm
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d4s/spec.htm
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/11...?page=174#manu
al

But you'd rather make an exception.

just admit you're wrong and learned something.
Old July 20th 17, 05:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

My cousin's ex made a lot of money selling paintings on velvet. But, the
only ones he ever had in his house were samples he brought home for
convenience. A lot of people bought them.

--
PeterN
Old July 20th 17, 05:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/20/2017 12:20 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

My statement stands as to most Nikon DSLRs. While there are probably
things I can learn about any of my Nikons, your information was not one
of them. my point stands as to most Nikon models, and it is something
for the average user to be aware of. The main point is that if the
user's camera only brackets changes to only one EV, use 5 EV and
discard. That some cameras allow more, is irrelevant. For once in your
life realize that who is right is not nearly as important as what is
helpful.

--
PeterN