Where I keep my spare cats.

Old May 17th 17, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

Default Where I keep my spare cats.

On 5/16/2017 3:23 AM, David B. wrote:
Looking through my Dropbox folder, I decided to share this with you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyccg6cbsa...ats.j pg?dl=0

Have a fun day, guys! :-)

Is it Caturday already?

Ok, I'll add some cats to the mix.

Here's Matt and Baxter hanging out in the window:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fc7ojapdwm...er%20%231a.jpg

and here's Baxter (same window different day)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8lkc6609ol...20%5B3a%5D.jpg

--
==
Later...

---
http://www.avg.com

Old May 17th 17, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

nospam
Tue, 16 May 2017
23:37:04 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I certainly don't expect you to take my word for it. Rather, I
have the entire email correspondence between him and myself,
You're welcome to read it if you'd like. It's a normal ASCII
text file inside the .zip. Consider yourself warned.

http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/bdemail1.zip

1. Nobody with any sense will open an unknown zip file.

only if they're stuck using an insecure operating system.

on other platforms, there is no problem in unzipping a zip file.

however, in this case, there is no point in zipping it. it's just
a text file, which could have been hosted on a server just as
easily, and the difference in size is negligible.

True enough, I just .zip out of an old habit.

2. This has nothing to do with photography. IOW nobody gives a
****. Life is to short. It's your problem deal with it.

if you say so.

You can lead a horse to water...

Old May 17th 17, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

PeterN news Tue, 16 May 2017 23:24:44 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/bdemail1.zip

1. Nobody with any sense will open an unknown zip file.

Opening a .zip file is a harmful act is it? I don't think you'll find
much to support that conclusion; aside from those who've used
vulnerable archiving tools, that is.

The trick is, not clicking on an exe/pdf, etc, that might be inside.
In this case, it's a straight txt file, with the appropriate
extension, so Windows won't be fooled into 'executing' it for you.
The .zip file itself is created with PKZIP v2.0.4g as well; it has no
'exploit' options to dupe whatever archiving tool you use.

And, one can always check the domain the .zip is hosted on, if
they're concerned about it's possible contents. Or the trust issue.

I'm an expert malware researcher, BugHunter is my program, and that's
BugHunters domain. It would take a second to remove the .zip from the
url and load the url without it and check that for yourself. Easy.

Further, I'm also a former employee of Malwarebytes Corporation;
employed as, an expert malware researcher. Perhaps you've heard of
it? So, you see, I'd have nothing to gain by planting malware of any
kind on your machine or anyone elses, but, a whole lot to lose by
doing so.

2. This has nothing to do with photography. IOW nobody gives a
****. Life is to short. It's your problem deal with it.

I was simply giving you and others a friendly heads up concerning
David Brooks. The final decision and consequences lie with you and
them, not me. If you think he's harmless, by all means continue to
think so. Ignorance is bliss, so I'm told.

Old May 17th 17, 01:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 5/16/2017 8:28 PM, Diesel wrote:
[...]

Your comments are duly noted. I really don't give a ****, unless it is
about photography, or a realistic threat against any member of my
family. Things are what they are. If you don't like my attitude, you'll
just have to deal with it.
Beware Greeks bearing gifts. PAS, excepted.

--
PeterN
Old May 17th 17, 07:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_2_]

On 5/17/2017 12:19 AM, PeterN wrote:
On 5/16/2017 3:23 AM, David B. wrote:
Looking through my Dropbox folder, I decided to share this with you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyccg6cbsa...ats.j pg?dl=0

Have a fun day, guys! :-)

Here is our grand dog, in a preliminary round at Westminster. She made
the finals, and screwed up completely.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qi83igj6a45hasn/Westminster%20Agility%20Trial%20beg.jpg?dl=0

Haha! Dogs CAN let one down for sure!

Best to let sleeping dogs lie? .... here's MY granddog:-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b55p0t1fio...mmock.jpg?dl=0

--
David B.

Old May 17th 17, 07:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_2_]

On 5/17/2017 12:38 AM, Ron C wrote:
On 5/16/2017 3:23 AM, David B. wrote:
Looking through my Dropbox folder, I decided to share this with you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyccg6cbsa...ats.j pg?dl=0

Have a fun day, guys! :-)

Is it Caturday already?

Caturday. I like that! ;-)

Ok, I'll add some cats to the mix.

Here's Matt and Baxter hanging out in the window:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fc7ojapdwm...er%20%231a.jpg

and here's Baxter (same window different day)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8lkc6609ol...20%5B3a%5D.jpg

I like your artistry, Ron. :-)

--
David B.

Old May 17th 17, 11:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

PeterN news Wed, 17 May 2017 00:48:46 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

Your comments are duly noted. I really don't give a ****, unless
it is about photography, or a realistic threat against any member
of my family.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by a realistic threat. As for
myself, he attempted (several times) to determine my actual meatspace
and publish a google streetmap view of what he thought was my house.
He did this because I said no to his request to hack a couple of web
forums he was previously banned from. He wanted access to the user
records, and, I refused to do that for him. I was willing to assist him
with any malware he felt existed on the forums, but, I required a url
pointing to a sample for analysis. He was unable to provide any such
urls. I consider that to be a valid and 'realistic' threat towards my
family, but, you may feel differently.

Things are what they are. If you don't like my
attitude, you'll just have to deal with it.

I have no issue with your attitude.

Old May 17th 17, 03:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 5/17/2017 2:32 AM, David B. wrote:
On 5/17/2017 12:19 AM, PeterN wrote:
On 5/16/2017 3:23 AM, David B. wrote:
Looking through my Dropbox folder, I decided to share this with you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyccg6cbsa...ats.j pg?dl=0

Have a fun day, guys! :-)

Here is our grand dog, in a preliminary round at Westminster. She
made the finals, and screwed up completely.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qi83igj6a45hasn/Westminster%20Agility%20Trial%20beg.jpg?dl=0

Haha! Dogs CAN let one down for sure!

Best to let sleeping dogs lie? .... here's MY granddog:-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b55p0t1fio...mmock.jpg?dl=0

Yes, let them lie. Here's one of mine:
http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Pets/Bella/i-qDB5NWM/A

Old May 17th 17, 04:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 5/17/2017 2:32 AM, David B. wrote:
On 5/17/2017 12:19 AM, PeterN wrote:
On 5/16/2017 3:23 AM, David B. wrote:
Looking through my Dropbox folder, I decided to share this with you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyccg6cbsa...ats.j pg?dl=0

Have a fun day, guys! :-)

Here is our grand dog, in a preliminary round at Westminster. She made
the finals, and screwed up completely.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qi83igj6a45hasn/Westminster%20Agility%20Trial%20beg.jpg?dl=0

Haha! Dogs CAN let one down for sure!

She's an advertising dog, and trained to sit and wait for instructions
when she sees a camera. She saw the TV camera at Westminster, and
........ She just didn't relate her agility run to the camera.

Best to let sleeping dogs lie? .... here's MY granddog:-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b55p0t1fio...mmock.jpg?dl=0

Knows what's important.

--
PeterN
Old May 18th 17, 12:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

Whisky-dave
Wed, 17
May 2017 09:52:18 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

aside from those who've used
vulnerable archiving tools, that is.

Itl;s NOT the archiving tool that's the problem.

Well, actually, it can be, if the tool is vulnerable. Unless we're
talking about clicking on an executable you find inside the zip, or,
any other file that can support executable code/script/macro in one
way shape or form. A pdf, a .doc, xls file, etc.

The trick is, not clicking on an exe/pdf, etc, that might be
inside.

Why would you zip a PDF ?

I .zip all kinds of things. .Rar stuff too.

In this case, it's a straight txt file, with the appropriate
extension, so Windows won't be fooled into 'executing' it for
you.

It takes more than a few words from somneone I don't know to
convince me of that.

You do know you can view the filename contents of the .zip file with
your archiving tool, without unzipping it, right? Your archiving
tool may even include it's own internal viewer, which would have no
trouble opening a plain ascii text file; which is what's inside the
..zip file.

You seem concerned about the .zip file, but let me ask you
something. Do you click on the links that point to pictures being
shared here often? Did you know a properly malformed .jpg file if
viewed a vulnerable viewer (or browser) can cause malicious
executable code to run on your machine simply by you 'viewing' the
picture? Do you click on the dropbox links? Do you blindly trust the
scripts it loads just to show you a picture? They do more than that,
but for the sake of my question, do you just trust them and click?

The .zip file itself is created with PKZIP v2.0.4g as well; it
has no 'exploit' options to dupe whatever archiving tool you use.

I'd have no idea who or what was used to create the zip.

That's alright. That's what file header data is for. As this
particular .zip file was created with the original software, it does
contain identification data inside the header. PKWARE (Creator of
PKZIP) is, btw, the originator of the .zip file format. The original
owner of the company and PKZIP/PKUNZIP, etcs, author has since
passed away. PK stands for Phil Katz, the originator of the .zip
file format.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PKZIP
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZIP_%28file_format%29
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Katz
https://community.spiceworks.com/top...ndard-was-born

And, one can always check the domain the .zip is hosted on, if
they're concerned about it's possible contents. Or the trust
issue.

It's the first step to take yes.

With you so far.

but if it were
http://bug-hunter.it-mate.com/bdemail1.zip

Did I post any such url? Nope.

You'll have to scroll down a little bit, but, they'll back me on the
domain I provided you:

http://www.completelyfreesoftware.com/du1_w31.html

And you can read the review they wrote for the program, if you'd
like. In the event the five doves isn't a big enough clue. The
program and the domain it's on is legitimate, as am I. The .zip file
is being hosted on my programs domain, and, I wouldn't risk the
domain OR tarnishing my reputation by hosting ANYTHING malicious on
it.

would this site be as trusted ?

There's no https which is what I'd look for .

Why would I bother with HTTPS for a site that has no interaction
with the user, and, isn't free to implement? What possible advantage
would it give me? And, by interaction, there's nothing for you to
login to, no place to leave a comment, nothing. It's very simple and
straight forward, old school html, without a single script. A 486
could render it with ease, on Windows 3.x using netscape. I have
nothing that requires a secure, encrypted session with you on that
site...

For more on the https or not to https, see he

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/0...site-Use-HTTPS

Unless you don't trust that site, either.

I'm an expert malware researcher, BugHunter is my program, and
that's BugHunters domain. It would take a second to remove the
.zip from the url and load the url without it and check that for
yourself. Easy.

why would I bother ?

Don't know. You seem concerned with the .zip file doing you harm.

Further, I'm also a former employee of Malwarebytes Corporation;
employed as, an expert malware researcher. Perhaps you've heard
of it?

No.

You've never heard of Malwarebytes Antimalware? Have you been living
under a rock, or, are you not a Windows user?

So, you see, I'd have nothing to gain by planting malware of any
kind on your machine or anyone elses, but, a whole lot to lose by
doing so.

it's your word and I don't know who you are.

I told you who I am. As well as what's on the site I previously
provided a link to. The .zip file contains a single, ASCII TEXT
file. Do you think by opening the unzipped file in NOTEPAD, Any harm
would come to your system?

using PKUNZIP -vn bdemail1.zip:

PKUNZIP (R) FAST! Extract Utility Version 2.50 03-01-1999
Copr. 1989-1999 PKWARE Inc. All Rights Reserved. Shareware Version
PKUNZIP Reg. U.S. Pat. and Tm. Off.

þ Pentium II class CPU detected.
þ XMS version 2.00 detected.
þ DPMI version 0.90 detected.

Searching ZIP: BDEMAIL1.ZIP

Length Method Size Ratio Date Time CRC-32 Attr Name
------ ------ ----- ----- ---- ---- -------- ---- ----
507425 DeflatX 191803 63% 03-14-2017 10:19 8e305db1 --wa DAVID.TXT
------ ------ --- -------
507425 191803 63% 1

DAVID.TXT is a complete, unedited, copy of ALL the email
correspondence between him and myself, in the order it was
sent/received. As I told you. It's zipped because, well, it doesn't
make sense to send a half meg file to everyone who wants a copy,
when I could send a smaller file instead. Why waste bandwidth and
resources of my domains provider?

And, Some of Davids replies contain HTML code because he insisted
upon sending plain text AND html of the same; and I made no edits of
ANY kind. My email client, Pegasus ignores html and shows me
plaintext only, but the 'raw' contents are still there. A modern
browser probably wouldn't try to render any of it, if I provided the
file raw on the site, instead of being .zipped instead, but, why
chance it? Notepad certainly won't render any html.

I was simply giving you and others a friendly heads up concerning
David Brooks.

I have no more reason to belive he is a nasty person than you are.

I *was* a nasty person, at one point. Many years ago. I've since
'changed my evil ways' and used my skills for productive things,
that of a malware researcher instead of developer. Not that I only
developed malware, mind you, I did write other stuff too:

http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/core/

If you have something to say say it don;t hid it behind a zip.

Alright then. David Brooks is a stalker (amongst other things) and
contacted me via email under false pretenses, asking about my
program, but, attempting to groom me to do some shady hacking for
his sole benefit, against two! web forums he was previously banned
from. The .zip is the complete and unedited email correspondence, in
order, between David Brooks and myself, proving that what I've
written above is true! Copied directly from my Pegasus email client,
no less.

How about proving what you say is correct rather than just offer a
zip file without saying what's in it.

I told you what's inside of it. A plain ASCII TEXT FILE. You can
open it in notepad. Notepad isn't going to run any macros, or other
'code' of any kind. IE: I can't very well slip you a mickey if you
use notepad.

Is this what malware security 'experts do' tell people that if
you don't want malware download this zip to find out how not to
get a virus....

Your logic needs some work...If any actual malware expert, such as
myself, provided you a .zip file containing detailed instructions
(and likely additional files to remove the malware from your machine
for you), there'd be a logical reason for doing so. (as outlined
above).